Airbnb strains Buenos Aires' housing market

I have to agree. Irrelevant of politics show me somewhere where airbnb hasn’t distorted the housing market. At the very least, I don’t think you can counter the contrapositive that where it does distort the housing market could be left leaning or could be right leaning.

The core problem is inequality exists. The solution? I don’t know if there is one
There, I fixed it for you.

If the core problem was inequality between countries, then there would be no AirBnB in Hollywood Hills.

I don't think Airbnb hurts the rentsl market: not all properties in the city appeal to tourists. Airbnb hurts the hospitsliry industry more ( hotels ). And the government with its inability to control i flation and set clear and stable rules for anything and evreything. Proof of this is that most properties are up for sale and not on Airbnb. Temp rentals have existed for decades and they never really hurt the rental market. We do not get such huge influx of expats down here.

um- my point is that kirchner policies have nothing to do with local renters disliking airbnb, here, there, or anywhere. Airbnb inherently upsets local rental markets, annoys neighbors, and makes some people a lot of money. Its also incredibly convenient for travellers who have the money.
This is true globally.
And say they regulate the short term market without addressing the current regulations for the long term market, then what? 1. Even more properties sitting empty across Argentina because owners would simply rather not run the risk of accepting a long term or short term tenant precisely because of the regulations they are supposed to be following. 2. Even more properties being rented “under the table” at extortionate prices that are beyond the reach of those that need them most. Reality bites.

And say they regulate the short term market without addressing the current regulations for the long term market, then what? 1. Even more properties sitting empty across Argentina because owners would simply rather not run the risk of accepting a long term or short term tenant precisely because of the regulations they are supposed to be following. 2. Even more properties being rented “under the table” at extortionate prices that are beyond the reach of those that need them most. Reality bites.
"Reality bites" must be one of the most tersely eloquent observations ever stated in these forums. This, most of all.

There do exist in this world certain brutally intractable problems, often of a circular nature. One cannot solve problem A without first solving problem B, one cannot solve problem B without first solving problem C, and one cannot solve problem C without first solving problem A. And it's (apparently) impossible to break such a loop without resorting to such horribly draconian measures that the solution becomes worse than the problem - el remedio peor que la enfermedad - the cure is worse than the disease.

And this is precisely why I am so scornfully dismissive of Libertarianism, with its childlike naivete.

I don't think Airbnb hurts the rentsl market: not all properties in the city appeal to tourists. Airbnb hurts the hospitsliry industry more ( hotels ). And the government with its inability to control i flation and set clear and stable rules for anything and evreything. Proof of this is that most properties are up for sale and not on Airbnb. Temp rentals have existed for decades and they never really hurt the rental market. We do not get such huge influx of expats down here.
some horrible typing on my mobile phone sorry!

I agree with almost all what you said . However the Russian immigrant influx has changed the market forces . Thirty thousand new requests for rentals in a few limited barrios of CABA - Palermo, Recoleta, and a few more. Clearly disrupts the demand/supply balance.
My friend rents a temporary 1 BDR. in Recoleta, 90 % of the requests are Russians. Via Argenprop.

Back