Amazing how expensive BsArs is

I just came back from a two week vacation on Mexico City, everything costs half (or even a third) of what it costs here. I can't understand it, since Argentines make almost the same as Mexicans. Maybe that's why there are so many Argentines in Mexico City, cheaper for them to leave, easy to get residency.

$1000 pesos per month? Really? The average maid at $20 pesos/hr makes multiples of that. Who makes $1000 pesos per month here? Not that I disagree that it's hard to live on local wages, but anyone would truly starve on $1000 per month.

Zissou said:
For everyone feeling the pinch, I would suggest shopping at small shops - you know, veggie place, bakery, chicken place, meats place.

While shopping at supermarkets (Disco, Jumbo) is certainly really quite pricey now, I still find shopping at these small places gives me far better value for money than Canada. In fact I'm amazed at how much I get for my money on a daily basis. It is so much more expensive than before but still, the value is there.

And even then - bag of green grapes at Disco for 11 pesos? In Canada, that could very easily be $9-11. There are still good deals on fresh produce overall. It's the packaged foods that can be shockingly expensive. Nevermind alcohol - there is NO wine, nevermind decent wine, for under 35-40 pesos in Canada. A very average bottle starts at 40 pesos. If you go to a restaurant, a bottle of wine will never be less than the cost of your main entree.

I'm not suggesting that Argentina and Canada are comparable in terms of cost of living/ spending power etc - of course not - but I just think it's kind of silly to act as though Buenos Aires is now more expensive than Canada (and much of Europe) when for many (not all), their grocery costs are more along the lines of shopping at premium grocery stores like Whole Foods or, to a lesser degree, Loblaws.

Going out for dinner? 1-200 pesos to be stuffed and wined at nice enough places (more for nicer, obviously). With apps, a drink and a main, you can spend that (and probably more) at horrible chain restaurants like Olive Garden or East Side Mario's.

Again, not saying prices aren't creeping up majorly, I just don't agree with the view that it's more expensive here in the least.

I live in Canada and agree with every fact you've laid out.

jb5 said:
$1000 pesos per month? Really? The average maid at $20 pesos/hr makes multiples of that. Who makes $1000 pesos per month here? Not that I disagree that it's hard to live on local wages, but anyone would truly starve on $1000 per month.

Not every maid makes $20/hr, and there are plenty of professions that are even worse-remunerated. Remember, also, that while you may be able to afford to pay your maid $20/hr, many Argentines cannot, but still hire maids.

As to how anyone could possibly survive that way, your surprise is exceeded only by my own. My guess is not too differently from many itinerant Hispanic manual labourers in the US: live six people to a room, and collectivise/share everything.

AlexanderB - are you actually saying you met "many" porteños making under a 1000 pesos a month? Mayhap you meant to write dollars? B/C otherwise, I would be very hardpressed to believe that to be true. I don't know of any professions that are paying that low. Even unskilled labor makes far more than that.

There may be some mucamas making a 1000 a month that but not many (and if so, probably have housing provided). And I don't know of many porteña mucamas ;) Nor do I know of any that would be talking about their salaries with someone other than their employer.

Mucama's by low must get paid something like 1600 peso, including all social charges for 8 hours a day

Some might prefer to get paid something like 1500 peso en negro but they most likely will also have 2 jobs.

I wouldnt have thought there are many porteños making under 1000 pesos a month en mano.

I know a couple of recent graduates (professionals) that struggle to push 3500. Even full time retail (which I know pays fairly well here relative to how it pays in other countries) generally makes you around 4000 in hand (as a minimum).

From memory, I am fairly sure a porteña colleague of mine pays her mucama 2700 a month (for looking after her 2 younguns under 7) and that includes all housing, food, utilities etc.

AlexanderB said:
But then again, I know lots of New Yorkers and Londoners, too. Knowing what they get paid--average professional salaries that in most other markets in their countries would be considered neither high nor low, but affording a comfortable middle class standard of living--I cannot see how they can afford to live there, either.

Many of them share the same struggles as porteños, live with their parents well into their thirties at least, etc. All of them complain constantly about how expensive everyday life is, though all of them find niche ways to economise that are totally invisible to tourists and even long-term resident non-natives. None of them are thrilled. The number one complaint is the expense of housing.

In other words, all large world capitals are expensive relative to median local wages. I don't think BsAs invented the crowded and relatively expensive capital. The only thing that might be different in other places is that it might be easier, or at least more feasible, to live very remotely and commute in. Yes, I know BsAs has commuter trains, but I would wager that the average Jersian has a easier access to jobs in Manhattan.

That said, I agree that the magnitude of the disparity is much worse in BsAs. Many porteños I've met make under AR$1000 monthly. How the hell are you supposed to live on that? Makes Barbara Ehrenreich's "Nickel and Dimed" struggles look like a cakewalk, and Argentina has never been or regarded itself as a Third World economy.

I dont know any living in NY, but know around 10 young professionals (between 24 and 28, mainly accountants) living in London (not with parents) that are earning a very comfortable wage. Travelling ever 2nd weekend, going to gigs, not cooking every night of the week, going out etc etc. They by no way share the struggles of the common porteño young professional.

Yes I think everyone complains about how expensive their first world country is relative to the cost of living (particularly when they visit those out of the first world with foreign currency in hand), but in my opinion its a totally different kettle of fish and BA and other 3rd world capitals could not be well compared with relative wages of other first world cities.

Food is not what really makes live expensive. We are back in Germany and my first impression was the same. How cheap food is! But if you come back to daily live you see what really counts: health insurance (a duty in Europe) 330 € each person, electricity: more than 100 € per months without using air-condition, heating (you need that here) 100 per months, ticket for bus+train 80 per month, entrance museum 7 €....
Finally it is the same or let me say finally living in Buenos Aires is cheaper. I am not living in an expensive city; if I would live in one of the most expensive cities in Europe the rent would be much more. For what you pay for a great luxury apartment in puerto madero you will hardly find a 3 room apartment in Paris or London.

Back