An Ex-Expat's Observations from the US

Nicole_Ramirez said:
I moved here because my husband is Argentinian & we wanted a better place to raise our kids. Yes it is my fault for agreeing to move to a place I never visited. I had been to Buenos Aires several times to visit his family & assumed where we would be living would be like that. Again my fault. I didn't know I would be living in filth. Mostly dirt roads here. I do not even have a washer to wash the dirt out of my kids clothes. Do I know that I would be happier moving back to the States, nope cause I haven't been back for a visit yet to realize I hated it there. Can't afford it. So please don't be hard on me, it's taking me a lot longer to adjust than most people.

Sorry Nicole, being hard wasn't my intention. This is a delicate topic I should have stayed out of. I re-read my reply and feel like I crossed the line.

Hache said:
Sorry Nicole, being hard wasn't my intention. This is a delicate topic I should have stayed out of. I re-read my reply and feel like I crossed the line.

Nice guy who can say sorry and mean it...teaching my kids (boys) that too...:)

The US is so damn awesome. It's ridiculous. Since I've been back I've spent time in Florida, NYC, Austin and now live in New Orleans and I am continually blown away by the incredibleness of the great US of A and think I will be my entire life.

But, anyway, one thing I'm curious about is how the cost of living down there compares to when I left (almost a year ago now). My three years down there wasn't too terribly expensive, but the inflation has been outrageous, right?

As anyone who has read any of my previous posts knows well, I am not the least bit impressed by Argentina. It was, however, a fairly inexpensive base from which to explore South America for a while. Is that still the case? What are people spending these days (in US dollars) to maintain a decent standard of living down there? Is it really worth it to be there? Would you recommend Argentina to, say, a good friend who was looking for someplace to live abroad for a while?

the inflation in rdiculous. 1 year ago I was buying my soda for 5.99. Yesterday it was 9.99. The other day the whole chicckens were going for 65 pesos & up. I think they raised the prices just for the tourists.

I'm on my way back to BA from a trip to San Francisco. Drivers are more civilized. If you go through a red light the fine is US$464.00, (why do Portenos drive so fast and walk slower than a snail?) The luncheon specal at a good Chinese restaurant on Polk ner Broadway including soup, stamed rice and a choice of 28 entrees is US$5.70. If you pay your under US $25,00 bill with a credit card, they don't ask for ID and a signature isn't required. Supermarkets have people bagging the grroceries, just like in Disco.........in Montevideo.

Nicole_Ramirez said:
I moved here because my husband is Argentinian & we wanted a better place to raise our kids. Yes it is my fault for agreeing to move to a place I never visited. I had been to Buenos Aires several times to visit his family & assumed where we would be living would be like that. Again my fault. I didn't know I would be living in filth. Mostly dirt roads here. I do not even have a washer to wash the dirt out of my kids clothes. Do I know that I would be happier moving back to the States, nope cause I haven't been back for a visit yet to realize I hated it there. Can't afford it. So please don't be hard on me, it's taking me a lot longer to adjust than most people.

Right now it might not feel like a wonderful, inspired thing to be doing but I admire you for taking tough decisions and sticking by them to give your kids a better way of life and I hope you crest the brow of that difficult hill really soon. You're not alone: thousands, millions of others have taken bold steps like yours, many in the here and now and others in the past. Right now I'm thinking of the 'war brides' who came to the USA and Canada from Britain and Australia after the first and second world wars and had no idea what to expect. Betcha someone on this board has a grandma who was a war bride and can tell you how their courage won through. There are lots of archives, lots of amazing tales and most of all, lots of families who are grateful that their mother/grandmother did what they did. Oh - and it's a great excuse to listen to one of my favourite songs by The Waifs... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3k7OncTVHkI

fred mertz said:
The luncheon specal at a good Chinese restaurant on Polk ner Broadway including soup, stamed rice and a choice of 28 entrees is US$5.70..

omg did you go to ANDY'S?!?!?

Back