Andrew Graham-Yooll On A Decade Of Kirchnerism

but also the millions of useful idiots who can't think critically, and therefore always blindly follow fairy tales, whatever ideological mask these may have.

At the same time, when your day to day worry is to have something to eat, don't expect too much analysis, furthermore with a very poor Education level. Poverty is the problem here, things will change when the lower middle class will grow.

At the same time, when your day to day worry is to have something to eat, don't expect too much analysis, furthermore with a very poor Education level. Poverty is the problem here, things will change when the lower middle class will grow.
The lack of education is certainly a problem, but during the Cold War many so-called revolutionaries came from rich families. A better economy unfortunately does not necessarily lead to less ignorance. Argentina used to be a relatively rich country with an educated population, but that hasn't led to a lot of actual performance either. Of course, this society is much more developed than Bolivia or Guatamala, but it's still a mess.

Argentina used to be a relatively rich country with an educated population, but that hasn't led to a lot of actual performance either.

Indeed, but the many military coups here (more than in neighbouring countries) resulted in many, many teachers/academics leaving the country. No wonder the consequences can be felt for one generation or more after that. That's one of the explanations but that's a fundamental one.

I agree about the middle class. However, there is a moral dilema here. On the one hand the middle-class is the engine which drives the economy - and throws off more jobs/opportunity. On the other hand, it is completely unjust and immoral to let people wallow in poverty. Not suggesting an entirely new thread on the hand-out/hand-up debate, but it is a tough job for any government to balance these two needs. People who live below the poverty line, and many who live above it, really need assistance.

It seems to me that there is a philosophical element to the K's perspective on how to manage a country that mirrors the very fundamental difference in rights from how I know them. The legal system here in based on active rights. The legal system that I know is based on passive rights. Let's take property ownership for example. In the US you have the right to own a house and no on can prevent you from owning a house based upon race, religion, sex, etc. What that means is you have the right to get a second job, go to school to get a degree in order to get a better job, save money, etc, etc until you can pay for your house. The right to own a house is a passive right in that it is there for you to take or not. It won't come to you.

In Argentina is it very different. If you own a house and you go on vacation and a family moves into your house while you are gone you now have a problem. You go to the judge and present your case for eviction. The judge says, "Hmm, interesting. You saved your money and bought your house. Therefore, you should have the right to free use of it. On the other hand this poor family has the right to a house, as well. We have competing, but equal, rights."

I suspect they would have the same view when it comes to social and economic policy.

Most Argentinians I know have given up expecting any improvements in the countries development - pretty sad but true. You can only get screwed and get fed lies so many times before you lose faith in the system. I guess that kind of explains the importance people place on family and friends which is actually a good thing, except for the government/system being a shamble.

In Argentina is it very different. If you own a house and you go on vacation and a family moves into your house while you are gone you now have a problem. You go to the judge and present your case for eviction. The judge says, "Hmm, interesting. You saved your money and bought your house. Therefore, you should have the right to free use of it. On the other hand this poor family has the right to a house, as well. We have competing, but equal, rights."

I suspect they would have the same view when it comes to social and economic policy.
You just described a situation a friend of mine is in perfectly. When he told me I didn't believe him because it sounded so ridiculous. Except in his case it was actually a policeman and his family that decided to stake their claim to his property. This could start a whole new debate but I think work must begin from the top down, it's no good having an educated population if there are no jobs which is what is happening already on one level, except you still have a large percentage of poor people. The only way to create jobs is to have an environment that promotes and supports entrepreneurship and innovation, when I look at Argentina I see the complete opposite. I see an economic mess, no stability and laws that are there to restrict creation and punish those that try to make something happen. Will this change any time soon ? Doubt it.

Instead of the old anarchist bromide that "property is theft," the bunch in charge appear to believe that "investment is theft."

Indeed, but the many military coups here (more than in neighbouring countries) resulted in many, many teachers/academics leaving the country. No wonder the consequences can be felt for one generation or more after that. That's one of the explanations but that's a fundamental one.

Many of the most talented and capable Argentines, including Nobel Prize scientists, have sought their livelihood in other countries where they could pursue their interests without having to immerse themselves in petty politics.

NESTOR and Cristina are nothing more than a pair excellent oportunists. They cowardly re-judged (an illegal act in any civilazed country)the military officers when they were down and out.
If they are so courageous, why did not they defended ANY terrorist when they lived in Santa Cruz? Did they ever lift a finger to denounce any violation?
NO. Nothing.

Peronist patronage politics, though, pretty much precludes growth of the middle class. It relies on keeping people poor.

Back