Another Arriving In November. Need To Know...

Milic20

Registered
I will be coming to BA from Canada second week of November for an indefinite, but substantial time (at least 6 months). Basically, i need to know if it's a better idea to wait until I arrive to find an apartment or make some sort of prior arrangements? How long typically does it take to find a place and move in? Taking into account I am by myself, mid-20s, male and not super picky so I don't need to see a bunch of places.

This forum has been great for all kind of information and I am really looking forward to be in BA. Hopefully see some of you around.

Spencer

Hi Spencer and welcome. I own a lovely 1 bedroom apartment in Recoleta, which Im thinking of renting, only if its longer than 2 months. In the next days I will publish here so you can see it.

Regards

Hi there, good luck with your move. I didn't have any problems finding a place (took about two or three weeks in the end) and neither have most of my friends. As a short term measure this website offers apartments for rent if you want something organised for your first few weeks. http://www.bytargentina.com/

I was living in Toronto and moved here at the beginning of July, and here's my warning/advise:

Whatever you think is enough time to get a job/apartment/etc, it's not enough.

It took almost exactly 1 month for my best friend, an Argie, and I to get our apartment. Somethings
to know: You need: first and last months rent, a property to secure the apartment against, a document
from the government showing there isn't any leans against it, proof of income, commission for the broker,
and I'm sure I'm missing something.

For a $3,500 ARS 2 bedroom, 1 bath, apartment in Palermo, it took about 30 days, 20+ phone calls, 3-4
meetings in person and $12,000 ARS to move in after all the fees, 1st/last rent paid, commission, etc.
Year 2 is a 25% increase in rent due to inflation, and the lease is 24 months. This is doing it all the
proper way too and covering our asses.

You might be better to rent month to month like you'd find on Craigslist in Toronto/Vancouver/Montreal.
Also, beware that there is no direct way to take advantage of the Dolar Blue here if you use a Canadian
bank account only. If you have a TD/CIBC/RBC Debit visa then it might be possible to use Xoom, other
wise go to your branch, get as close to, if not, $10,000 USD, and bring it with you. You can always use
your Interac card in Uruguay or Chile (Chile has Scotiabank ATMs so you might be able to avoid the fee)
to get USD as I'm sure you've read that using an ATM in Buenos Aires is just plain stupid.

If you have any questions feel free to inbox me, good luck, and don't forget to pay your reciprocity fee
AND keep a copy with your passport when you get here!

I'm also from Canada and at present I'm spending about 1/2 the year in Montreal and 1/2 the year in Buenos Aires.

-- rent a tourist apartment or find shared accommodation on Craigslist
-- bring as much USD as possible

ARbound is correct-- never, ever use the ATM. My god! It's not only that you get a horrible exchange rate but the bank fees are a killer. $10 per transaction ($5 for Argentina, $5 for Canada).

Anyway, have fun!

Welcome Spencer!
If i were in my 20's again i would find a hostel from where i could plan my travelling within Argentina ,there are tons of places to see besides BsAs
Renting your own place means you might have to buy some furniture and such,so i would spend as much time as i could mobile seeing and experiencing the culture in different places then decide where i wanna land for a while.
But above all i wish you a great stay in Argentina!!

Thanks everyone. This has all been good advice.

Looking forward to my move, this site has been a big help.

I will be coming to BA from Canada second week of November for an indefinite, but substantial time (at least 6 months). Basically, i need to know if it's a better idea to wait until I arrive to find an apartment or make some sort of prior arrangements? How long typically does it take to find a place and move in? Taking into account I am by myself, mid-20s, male and not super picky so I don't need to see a bunch of places.

This forum has been great for all kind of information and I am really looking forward to be in BA. Hopefully see some of you around.

Spencer

Be careful, because what apartment or hostel owners often do is to sell you one price, but once you arrive, they will then up the price significantly, and you are stuck. If possible, try to make your stay at a hostel or hotel as short as possible, and then look for a hostel for a month once you are here in person. That will give you time to look for an apartment.

Back