Another Arriving In November. Need To Know...

I recommend a short term apartment rental for one month minimum. You will need time to explore the neighborhoods you are considering and then start looking in earnest. I rented from; www.apartmentsinba.com for my first month and found that I got exactly what was represented. Having your feet on the ground here is the only way to deal with finding the right neighborhood and then wading through the less than streamlined rental policies required (as described above).

I'd use airbnb for book a place for a month, then use that time to find a cheaper option, if you run out of time, you can talk to you host about extending your stay... The good thing about airbnb is they don't take your money until you have been in the apartment for 24 hours, that way you can cancel the booking for free if the apartment is 'not as advertised'.

Sometimes the best motto to remember when dealing with certain Argies is as follows:

"Argentina: Un país con buena gente."

Hey,

Myself and my friend stayed an a hostel for 2 weeks and found an apartment from there. It wasn't that difficult, and all we had to do was pay 1 month deposit. We also asked for the 'contract' to be in pesos and paid in pesos and made sure they didnt amend the fees every time the dollar changed (maybe we were lucky) We didnt need a guarantee or anything, in fact not one apartment we saw asked for one as we only looked for 3-6 months at a time. We also managed to find teaching work within the first three weeks, the first jobs weren't great but once you are in then you have more freedom to pick and choose and more opportunities seem to appear.

Good luck!

Avoid the hassles: go to Uruguay and rent a place there; it'll probably be cheaper. Uruguay is also more convenient since you'll have access to dollars, safer (less crime/insecurity), and more tranquil (uruguayos are less paranoid, rude, and loud). Argentina is just a short boat-ride away; you can come over anytime, stay a bit, do a little tourism, and then go back.

If you want to live with people try

http://www.compartodepto.com/

It's normally cheaper, you will be living with locals or other south americans, get more immersed, and not have to worry about large deposits or buying furniture.

I massively lucked out and found a great place within a week of arriving here. I found it through Craigslist: http://buenosaires.es.craigslist.org/ So yeah my recommendation is definitely to book a hostel for a week, start looking for an apartment right away when you get here, and then you can extend your hostel time if necessary.

Hi, Spencer! We're also Canadian (from Toronto), and are here for the year. We've got an empty bedroom which we'd happly rent to you for a week or so while you get yourself sorted out -- we found Air BnB to be quite useful (you can pay from Canada!), but everyone above is right about USD -- bring as much cash as you can! You don't really "get" the money situation until you get here. :) Give us a shout if you want to drop by for a an afternoon for for a few days, and we'll help you get started. I'm here with my partner and our 9-year-old twin boys. Cheers, Vera :)

Back