Another Mass Shooting In The Us...

A Thought:
Impossible for me to it figure it all out. Nothing make any sense to me anymore. In the eyes of the law I am mentally stable enough to purchase and openly carry an AR 15 around town in my home state. Perfectly legal. Just your average nutcase: need to carry an AR 15. However, am not qualified or or stable enough to carry a bottle of water through the TSA checkpoint at the local airport, it is illegal and theoretically could be arrested. Why am I qualified for one thing (own and openly carry an AR15 and not the other, possess a bottle of water through the TSA checkpoint. Talk about a f... Up tyrannical government. The wheels have fallen off the bus.
You can carry a bottle of water anywhere, just not through TSA. Same happens with guns, you can carry them anywhere, just not through TSA. I don't think I am getting your point here...

You can carry a bottle of water anywhere, just not through TSA. Same happens with guns, you can carry them anywhere, just not through TSA.

Actually, you can't carry a gun everywhere. In the US they have "gun free zones" and that's where some (but not all) of the mass shootings have taken place.

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2014/10/11/report-92-percent-of-mass-shootings-since-2009-occured-in-gun-free-zones/

Media Matters expressed a different point of view, but it appears that this article was more about bashing Conservatives (by name) than refuting the claim that most mass shootings in recent years have occured in gun free zones:

http://mediamatters.org/blog/2013/09/17/the-growing-myth-of-mass-shootings-and-gun-free/195927

,,,Support for gun control is at an all time low. I’d like to think that it’s because people are finally understanding that the object is not the problem but instead it’s the behavior that needs to be changed. However, some people still don’t see the light. Hopefully with enough proof we can change their minds as well. ...

The number of people opposed to tighter gun controls is greatly influenced by all the money the NRA and gun manufacturers spend on advertising. Sadly, most people (at least in the US) let sound bites do their thinking for them.

Do you have any ideas on how to change behavior? How about behavior which can be defined as mental illness? Even non-mental illness behavior - any ideas on how to greatly reduce how often people let their temper get out of hand? How about just getting gun owners to secure their weapons and ammo so that their children can't get ahold of them.

Bob

How about just getting gun owners to secure their weapons and ammo so that their children can't get ahold of them.

How about this?

http://smartgunlaws....rage-gun-locks/

Since I am not a member of the NRA (and never will be) I am not opposed to "tighter gun controls" like these. I am however, opposed to a repeal of the second amendment, which could also be nullified by the Supremes if HRC becomes President, appoints a couple liberal judges to the court and they rule that only members of a state militia have the Constitutional right to "bear" arms.

Do you have any ideas on how to change behavior? How about behavior which can be defined as mental illness? Even non-mental illness behavior - any ideas on how to greatly reduce how often people let their temper get out of hand?

How are these questions relevant to the issue? Are you asserting that there is a high correlation between gun ownership and mental illness or even anger and should be regulated as a matter of public health?

You can carry a bottle of water anywhere, just not through TSA. Same happens with guns, you can carry them anywhere, just not through TSA. I don't think I am getting your point here...
Do not expect anyone to understand my thinking process: lol

Guess the point is, "in the abundance of caution" water is prohibited because there is a million to one chance some nut case will slip through the cracks and substitute the water with some sinister substance and do harm. Whereas, "abundance of caution" is blatantly absent when it comes to allowing someone to openly carry a loaded AR15 to the local little league game. Strikes me as absurd, openly carrying a AR15. Water is out, AR 15 is in.

Anecdotally, when I grew up we had guns in the house as did all of my friends. The guns were almost always loaded. My grandfather's shotgun leaned in the corner of the family room and his .22 pistol was in the side pocket of his easy chair. The other rifles and shotguns were in an unlocked gun case in the bedroom. This was in the late '60's to mid-70's. We knew not to touch them and no child ever did.

Guns were very, very prolific and easier to attain than now. Everyone - including high school kids - had a gun rack with guns in their pickup window. However, we didn't hear of mass shooting at schools and public places. If there was a "mass shooting" it usually meant a family homicide. And, when that happened everyone said, "Such a damn shame but we knew it was gonna happen sooner or later. That man/woman was a complete nutcase!" The only mass shooting I remember until the 1980's was the University of Texas shooting by Charles Whitman.

Now it is a different story. Innocent bystanders are killed almost weekly and firearms are harder than ever to purchase.

There seems to be different values these days.

There seems to be different values these days.

Generation after generation of single parent "families" might be one reason, especially when the farther is not around.
emo32.gif

How are these questions relevant to the issue? Are you asserting that there is a high correlation between gun ownership and mental illness or even anger and should be regulated as a matter of public health?

In an earlier post you said "the object is not the problem but instead it’s the behavior that needs to be changed", and so I was asking how you would change behavior.

Bob

The number of people opposed to tighter gun controls is greatly influenced by all the money the NRA and gun manufacturers spend on advertising. Sadly, most people (at least in the US) let sound bites do their thinking for them.

Do you have any ideas on how to change behavior? How about behavior which can be defined as mental illness? Even non-mental illness behavior - any ideas on how to greatly reduce how often people let their temper get out of hand? How about just getting gun owners to secure their weapons and ammo so that their children can't get ahold of them.

Bob

That was also a cnn poll from 2013. support is currently at 55%. Whilst its not the same as the 90's when it was in the 60-70's it is rising again as more people wise up to the bullshit the NRA has spouted.
http://www.gallup.com/poll/1645/guns.aspx

Generation after generation of single parent "families" might be one reason, especially when the farther is not around.
emo32.gif

Perhaps. However Charles Whitman's father was around. He was a perfectionist and extremely abusive to his family. If you want an insight into the psyche of someone who cracks into killer just read something of Charles Whitman. He left a diary. Very, very lucid of what he was going to do.. Really scary.

I can't exclude the impact of video games and violence in movies. Yea, I know there was violence in movies in 1965 but it was usually cowboys vs. bad cowboys, cowboys vs. indians, and cops vs robbers, etc. And the video games we had even into the 2000's were pretty tame. Now the best-selling video games are GTA where you get points for killing prostitutes and police, Assasin's Creed, and Military spec ops.

Back