Another pickpocket scam ...

HDM, I think age/appearance has an effect as well. We've been here since 2005 and have not been pickpocketed, except for a silly attempt once by some kids at Abasto shopping. We're both in our mid 30s, and usually look like we don't have a penny to our names. :p

Our neighbor has been here much less (months; he comes and goes), but he is 60 and smart dresser. He seems to have a target on his back; being a victim of the mustard scam twice just a few weeks apart, among other attemps, and even lost his backpack to a thief at jumbo.

In India, it was four of us together. They singled out our friend who is also 60 for the monkey poop scam.

Napoleon, that's hilarious about your brother and grandfather. Reminds me of that funny scene from Death at a Funeral. :D:D

2Guys, I don't know, maybe, but I am in my mid-60s, and I dress pretty well, and I think I look pretty much like a stereotypical rich person, even if I am not. Maybe I am just living a charmed and very lucky life. Nothing happens to me, not even fun stuff. I have about as much chance getting scammed, I think, as I do getting laid. Don't place any bets with money you can't afford to lose. It is odd that on a web site like this one is lead to believe that one must apologize for really enjoying the city and its people, and for not thinking everyone here is out to do a number on me. Maybe because I don't expect it, I don't look for it, I get by just fine. Or maybe my guardian angel is a really cool chick and takes care of the evil before it comes my way. Regardless, and seriously, I absolutely love living in Buenos Aires, and I cannot come up with one thing, not one, that makes me suspicious of my neighbors. If it happens, I'll let you know. I can bitch and moan with the best of them if necessary.

I hear you HDM. Our experiences are somewhat similar. Altho, personally, I am always suspicious of taxi drivers. ;) It's something I'm working on tho... Perhaps I need therapy :D

2GuysInPM,

That is why you do ok, I also am a little suspicious of taxi drivers but not only in BA, everywhere so I keep the small talk to a minimum and just go about my business. Sure, there are some bad taxi drivers and that can happen anywhere, but as long as you are alert, that will minimize the risk. I think a certain amount of prudence and awareness is needed in all large cities in the world. I mean common sense is necessary anywhere. But overall, I just agree that Argentina is so much better than most latin countries.

2Guys, I believe the meter. What else would I do? Get into a fight about it? In my work I confront serious, life-endangering problems, and I hope to do a good job. I spend my energy there, and I simply don't spend any time or energy sweating about a dime here, a quarter there, or a dollar extra. I just assume they must need it more than I do. Although I must admit that I rarely take taxis, since the fine Subte goes almost everywhere I need to go. For what? 30 cents? There is some pretty dismal lack of perspective displayed here from time to time.

I admit that I wear a $40 Timex watch, and if someone wants to rob me for it, it's his or hers. I carry one credit card and a few hundred pesos. So if you can do the trick on me, its yours. I can cancel a card by cell phone in a couple of minutes. I keep my ID in a pants pocket where a thief would have to get really up close and personal with my genitalia to get it, copping a feel on the way. This has never been necessary, but that's how I prepare for the possibility that maybe one day it would.

Buenos Aires is pretty much like every other interesting large city on the planet, at least the ones I've seen.

I believe that taxi drivers in Buenos Aires to be amongst the words best and have caught over 1500 taxi rides in the Capital Federal

Very few have ever tried to rip me off and the great majority have respected my privacy as well as offering me great conversation when I needed it.

Thank you very much Tacheros

Hello

Sorry to hear what happened to you the rule I follow though Iam a local I never walk very near a crowd and i try to be far as much as possible from people and lately when someone stops me to ask me for the time I say I don`t have a watch or I don`t have time or whatever. And I go walking paying attention to people around me all the time I know it sounds horrible and i don`t want to scare you but I hate those things and in my neighborhood Monserrat faces are not very friendly sometimes!

Were we live, we have to take taxis as there is no other public transport close by. We use taxis all the time, a lot in fact. So much, that since 2005 we've never used a colectivo, and we've only used the subte a couple of times (to check it out).

Most of the time everything is good. I'd dare say 99% of the time. But it's that 1% of problems that sticks in my mind. Like the numerous times we've taken taxis with "magic" meters (not as common today as it was a few years back), or the time the taxi driver insulted us for no reason (he might have been drunk) and then chased me on foot and wanted to punch me; or the times they've taken us through the scenic routes just to run up the meter. Of course, this is not particular to BA. We've had bad incidents in other countries as well, and this stuff can happen anywhere.

But then again, its a few bad apples among many good ones. These incidents don't stop me from taking taxis (here or anywhere else). It just makes "suspicious" and more alert. Taxis remain a quick, and effective way to move around the city and still not too expensive. Aside from the very few angry, smoke on your face, road-raged, cursing types, most tacheros are friendly or quiet, and professional.

The only place this has happened to me is Madrid, distraction thefts are common in most cities. It is horrible when it happens to you but don't let it bias you against the millions of good people who live in these cities.
HDM I sympathise with you, sometimes you offend the nicest of people for all the right reasons. I am sure that they too know about such things and will probaly understand.

Common Scam, especially in San Telmo, I was almost pick pocketed by an old man on the 152 bus on Santa Fe Ave!

Back