Another Question For International Travellers

AmigoArtistico

Registered
Hi everyone,

I've read that you have to register your valuable items, especially electronics, with the AFIP or aduana before you fly out of Argentina, and then they check them when you arrive back here.

Is this true? I want to take my fairly new laptop and a couple external backup drives, and definitely my Kindle Voyage.

Do I have to go through this hassle?

Will I have a problem if I don't?

Again, anybody with any very recent experience with this?

Thanks in advance.

This is a recent blog article I found which got me concerned about this:
http://www.sirchandler.com.ar/2016/05/todo-lo-que-hay-que-saber-aduana-argentin/

YES, there is a paper form that you can fill out before you depart. However, many times they do not have them in EZEIZA, so you can get at the AFIP offices before you leave, or take the item purchase bill with you, if you have it.

You can declare them online before flying or declare them at the AFIP's office at the airport. I never did it in the past but I did it last time at aeroparque. My stuff was too old anyway.

As I understand it, if you, for example, leave with a relatively new computer and don't declare it, then upon your return, if your luggage is examined and it is found then it can be declared a newly purchased item and you will be taxed.
I have never declared anything nor had any problem but people have had to pay taxes on things purchased abroad.
Usually I just make sure that all my stuff looks used when I return.

As I understand, upon your return, if your luggage is examined and it is found then it can be taxed.

Your prevarication is not very inspiring. In fact, things have become better since the button arrived.

quote name='ceviche' timestamp='1496673509' post='342284
Your prevarication is not very inspiring"

My prevarication as in my lie, fabrication?
WTF!!! I said it was my understanding. Yet you call me a liar without offering any other facts.
Are you too stupid to disagree without insulting?

quote name='ceviche' timestamp='1496673509' post='342284
"Is not very inspiring"??

Again WTF???!

I never said I was trying to be 'inspiring' just trying to be helpful and to clarify answers that seemed to me to need it based on what I have read and experienced.

Ceviche, your needless insults are perfect examples of why more people are avoiding this forum.

Your prevarication is not very inspiring. In fact, things have become better since the button arrived.

What is this? Indeed, things have become better since the button arrived, at least from what I am told. However, "upon your return, if your luggage is examined and it is found then it can be taxed." Please explain the lie in that statement?

As I understand it, if you, for example, leave with a relatively new computer and don't declare it, then upon your return, if your luggage is examined and it is found then it can be declared a newly purchased item and you will be taxed.
I have never declared anything nor had any problem but people have had to pay taxes on things purchased abroad.
Usually I just make sure that all my stuff looks used when I return.

If I leave as a tourist (I don't have DNI here) and return as a tourist, what will they do if they find my two smartphones (business and personal) that are under a year old?

Back