Another Question Regarding Foreign Currency In Argentina

oanaflorina

Registered
Hello!

I will be moving to BsAs soon and I have some savings that I intend to bring in cash with me. My savings are in euro, should I get through the trouble of changing them into dollars or euros are equally valuable in Argentina?

Thank you!

Dollar is worth 10-15% more and is slightly easier to sell. You make your pick if its worthwhile

Bring as much as you possibly can(even if its more then 10k) because chances are you will spend it all

I think it does not really make sense to change the Euros in Dollars because the rate that the bank will pay you to change the money in Dollars will equalize the small percentage you might get more when you sell them again in Argentina.

Of course it depends also a little on the Dollar/Euro relation, in general I think it is not necessary to change.

Related to what you consider the Dollar 10 or 15% “more”?

Hello!

I will be moving to BsAs soon and I have some savings that I intend to bring in cash with me. My savings are in euro, should I get through the trouble of changing them into dollars or euros are equally valuable in Argentina?

Thank you!

Hi! I have to say that is going to be almost the same. For example:

10,000 Euros at 11 (11 pesos = 1 euro parallel market) = 110,000 pesos.
10,000 Euros at 6,65 (6,65 pesos = 1 euro official market) = 66,500 pesos.

10,000 Euros at 1,3 USD = 13,000. Now, at 8,4 (parallel market) is around 109,200.
10,000 Euros at 1,3 USD = 13,000. Now, at 5,1 (official market) is around 66,300.

This is of course an estimative as prices can vary depending several factors, but you are not going to make a significant difference unless you have a saving accounts of a couple millions and a small difference can change things. However, USD is more common in argentina than euros and you are going to have more offers and places to choose, but this currency is also used, is not like you have Swedish Krona. My recommendation.. bring both. Exchange a part of your savings in USD and bring both currencies, no need to put all your eggs in one basket :)

You can find the daily "blue" and official exchange rates for US$ and "blue" Euro to AR$ here: http://dolarblue.net/ and the Euro to US$ in Europe here: http://www.oanda.com...ency/converter/

According to those data and on the blue market (but you'll need local assistance to find a "cueva" where you can exchange at the blue rate):

1 000 Euro = AR$ 10 300
1 000 Euro = US$ 1 310 x 7.9 = AR$ 10 350 (minus exchange fee for Euro to US$)

- give or take a little, depending on where you exchange Euro to US$

Back