Any Argentinians on this site that relocated to Buenos Aires after living abroad?

Attorney in BA said:
Thursday afternoon I might be able to join. Please let me know where and when. Thanks.

I'm so sorry but I could not get out of work early enough, totally unexpected.
Maybe we can organise a weekday this coming week.

notebook.fix said:
Maybe we can organise a weekday this coming week.
Sure. mini also said she would come. And other people that replied to this thread as well. All are welcome.

hi im in the same situation
except i was away almost 27yrs in Czech republic, USa, Poland and Brazil
and n ow im back but I still live in Prague 6mths a year
y ahora que?
un abrazo
esteban

Hola,
Me llamo Patricia y hace 17 años que vivo en NY ,ahora estoy en BA por 3 meses viendo si puedo volver,se hace muy dificil ,me siento muy perdida la gente me escucha y sueno porteña pero no conozco nada me fui a los 17 y esto para mi si bien es mi pais y en muchas cosas me identifico hay milliones de cosas en las cuales me siento totalmente ajena .
Siento a veces que soy un personaje de dos peliculas diferentes,entiendo perfectamente por lo que estas pasando ,we don't really belong anywhere anymore ,cause we are not Americans or Canadian etc ,but we are no longer Argetines

Hi, I am very sorry I am joining the conversation again just now, as I had to be away for a few days. Thank you all for your messages!! If you are still up for meeting, how about getting together for coffee either this upcoming weekend or some other weekend in January, maybe somewhere around Palermo? I'd love to meet to share some of our experiences as bicultural people; I find myself agreeing with most of your comments!! If you are interested, either reply here or PM me. Thank you and looking forward!!!

Hi again, I'm also up for a weekday this week or next week, if that seems to work for most people. If those that are interested would like to PM me, I will e-mail you back to get something organized that I can then post to the whole group. Gracias!

Hi,

I am Gabriela, I am from Buenos Aires but left Argentina 9 years ago, I lived in many countries in Europe, I am currently living in Brussels, working as a press officer in an European organisation and processing mymove back to Buenos Aires or Santiago for personal reasons and I am finding it is a very complicated decision. The reasons to leave are many and important but I am quite "rooted" in this continent as well, so I am trying to make up my mind about it.

I read your comments on how you are trying to adapt to Argentina again and from distance, I can fully understand that there is an element of frustration when it comes to sharing throughts and opinions with your relatives, etc... I got that when I visited Bs As for a month last year.

I would like your advice on the job situation, I have only contacted Korn Ferry Consultants and checked some websites for job seekers. How do you consider the job situation in Buenos Aires or Santiago ? Can you give me some ideas of how to start my jobhunting? I feel a little lost because Im still trying to process the decision and I will be quite demanding about the conditions of my move. I find it is going to be hard for me to readapt to Buenos Aires and people's mindset there. I will get the warmth and the lively way of relating with others that porteños have but I will have to leave a lot behind too. Thank you for taking the time to answer...
I am very much interested in your views being born and raised in Buenos Aires as well.

gabriela.

Hi Gabriela,

I understand well some of the things you have been going through. I also came back for, among other things, personal reasons and there are days when I still wonder about what the future holds in professional terms (and for the country as a whole) . I have to say, though, that since I have a US passport, I always know there's the possibility of going back if things get too difficult for me.

So far, I have no major regrets and have had no major issues re-adapting. I am still going through the process, though. Every day brings something new...
I think that it is likely we were able to function quite well before leaving and that, chances are, living in Argentina prepared me for being able to work and study abroad, so things were more difficult in my mind about my return that I am finding for them to be. Still, I have my ups and downs and I get frustrated with some things here, as I also used to get frustrated with some things in the US.

All I can say is that, two months after coming back here last year, I got a job teaching part-time at a private university. I read they were looking for professors, contacted them, and got an interview. Since I am still working on my Ph.D. in the US, the job is just fine for me for the time being. A friend of mine, who is preparing her return to BA from Paris this year, and is a Ph.D. in education, also has a couple of contacts that may well turn into firm job offers once she is here (I think it is still important for folks here to talk to you in person). Do you have people here to start networking with from abroad?

I have a couple of friends that also lived abroad for several years and returned here between 2004 and 2007 and they have ALL been working steadily since then. If anything, it seems that their professional skills got better after living abroad in the eyes of their employers.

I know I won't find the same job prospects here than in the US. The same with a lot of things I used to do or buy there. The days I'm not comparing things, I am quite OK. The days I start thinking about how things would be different if I could do XYZ, then it is not so easy... However, I think this is normal for anybody who is by now bicultural.... A friend of mine who returned from Spain says that now she only lives the present moment... I am also trying not to think too much about it. I am trying to reconnect with my friends and former colleagues here as well as meet people who may have similar experiences, as several of the folks on this site.

Are you on Linkedin? A friend of mine, who is now looking for a new job, was told to update her profile and spread the word that she's looking for a job. She got a couple of references posted there, too.

I'll be happy to write to you some more if you'd like to PM me.

Mucha suerte!

Hola Porteña,

te escribo en español porque me parece mas legitimo...

gracias por todos tus consejos...

al principio tomé esta necesidad de moverme con mas dramatismo, ahora trato de pensar con mas liviandad...

pienso que en el caso de que no me halle en Bs As, puedo volver a Europa e intentar de nuevo, re-arrancar... a pesar de las dificultades...tengo pasaporte español... y puedo vivir en cualquier Estado Miembro...

hay crisis economica en Europa también, aunque con diferencias, aqui hay un marco europeo y vivo en una ciudad, Bruselas, que está bastante protegida...pero los Estados del Norte son super individualistas, las sociedades estan super securizadas y la gente tiene miedo del otro... lo que hace la vida cotidiana bastante superficial y un poco vacia...

calculo que a pesar de todos los problemas y el constante regodeo (como en el tango) de Argentina, esto alli, la distancia, la falta de calidez, no sucede.... en Buenos Aires, me refiero... y mi madre, aunque, a veces, me frustra, me sigue frustrando en algunos aspectos, se pone mayor y revalorizo su afecto... ahora, después de 9 anios en Europa, empiezo a sentirme dividida, antes, no era asi...para mi...

gracias por "leerme", estuve contactando headhunters, y postulando a la distancia, pero no hay respuesta, creo que no es como en Europa, quee s muy facil postular de un pais al otro, incluso hay una manera de postular en el marco europeo (de la union europea)... luego vi que vivir en Argentina es carisimo, alquilar un lugar, un cuarto, en comparacion a los sueldos que se cobran...! tendria que vivir con mi madre de nuevo!

bueno, en fin, es complicado...

donde viviste en EE UU? en Seattle?? tuviste que soportar tambien la lluvia y el mal tiempo??? en Bruselas, nunca hay sol, y cuando hay algunos rayos de sol, es un milagro!

te dejo un saludo fuerte, que estés bien...

gabriela.

Mis 2 ciudades favoritas para vivir en USA son Seattle y Boston. Vale aclarar q me gusta la lluvia!

Back