Any Argentinians on this site that relocated to Buenos Aires after living abroad?

Hello Everyone,

I was born in Argentina but left at the young age of 2. I spent most of my life in the U.S., except for a couple of years in Buenos Aires during the early 90's. I just moved back to Buenos Aires permanently in July 2009. I am now 41 years old. It was a very difficult decision to make but the timing couldn't have been better. I came back here to be close to my family and also just a desire to be back in Argentina. At the same time, all of my closest friends are back in Texas....I got a job back in October as a real estate agent so this has kept me quite busy...but my social life is lacking. I have been to a few ex-pat events. They have all been fun and the people have been really friendly. The only problem is that there are a lot of transient people so it would be nice to meet a group of people that are here to stay...or at least here to stay for a while.

I don't know if anyone organized an event yet for Argentines that relocated here after being abroad? If not, I would be happy to organize an "After Office" or a cafe, next week after work, say around 8 p.m. Let me know. Silvina

Hi Silvina,
I'll be happy to meet next week after work, at 8 pm or so. Meeting at a cafe sounds good to me! I can help you organize it too, if you'd like.
Saludos,

I'm an Argentinian woman who spent forty years in the Washington, DC area, and moved back to South America some years ago.

After so many years abroad my identity is kind of muddy. I'm an international mongrel: not wholly Argentinian, but not American either. I really enjoyed living in the US, but returned to Buenos Aires after becoming widowed - my whole family is here, including my American born and bred daughter. I'm reasonably well adapted by now, but still miss my life in Alexandria.

I specially miss talking to people who have shared some of my experiences. I am one of thirty-two cousins, and the only one who lived abroad. My old schoolmates still live in the same neighborhood where they were born. So, sometimes I feel as alien as a penguin in the desert.

I'd like to connect with other transplanted old geezers out there, if any. I'm in my sixties.

I live in San Isidro and have a country place in Colonia, Uruguay, where I collect stray dogs.

Well, this was just to say hello. So,

HELLO......!

Sara

SaraSara said:
I'm a native Argentinian woman who spent forty years in the Washington, DC area, and moved back to South America five years ago.

After so many years abroad my identity is kind of muddy. I'm an international mongrel: not wholly Argentinian, but not American either. I really enjoyed living in the US, but returned to Buenos Aires after becoming widowed - my whole family is there, including my American born and bred daughter. I'm reasonably well adapted by now, bu miss my life in Alexandria.

I specially miss talking to people who have shared some of my experiences. I am one of thirty-two cousins, and the only one who lived abroad. My old schoolmates still live in the same neighborhood where they were born. So, sometimes I feel as alien as a penguin in the desert.

I'd like to connect with other transplanted old geezers out there, if any. I'm in my sixties.

I live in San Isidro and have a country place in Colonia, Uruguay, where I collect stray dogs.

Well, this was just to say hello. So,

HELLO......!

Sara

Hello Sara!! I lived 3 years in Old Towne & loved it. I was back there in August & it was even more beautiful then I remember.

Like I've said before, I'm not Argentine, but definitely know about muddy international identities!

Nice to see you here. :D

Please check out Silvi's latest post (as a new thread) re: an upcoming get-together this week, in case you'd like to join us. We plan to organize others in the near future, as there seems to be much interest among several of us to share our experiences and meet new people.

Sara, thank you for mentioning your work to help stray dogs in Uruguay, how wonderful!; I have donated some money in the past to a non-profit in the Gran Buenos Aires area called El Paraiso de los Animales that recovers all kinds of animals that have been abused (dogs, horses, cats, etc.); they take care of them and oftentimes offer some of them for adoption. They also have a website: http://www.elparaisoanimal.com.ar/

Looking forward to meeting all of you!

Thanks for the animal shelter link - it looks good. Have you seen it? I'd like to contribute on a regular basis, but I've been burned before. I'll probably drive to General Rodriguez to check it out before making a commitment.

Knowing that you are a fellow dog enthusiast, I'll try harder to make it to Wednesday's coffee. The problem is, I'm taking care of two stray dogs found ten days ago. They still need lots of companionship, and I'd like to have them settled before leaving for a whole afternoon.

Hope to meet you soon.

Hi Sara,
No, I have not been to El Paraiso... to check it out personally because I don't have a car. :( However, I have found other shelters, that are much closer, since then. I was checking out the ADDA website the other day and that's how I got to find the other organizations. I cannot keep a dog at home right now, but I'm planning to adopt one some time later in the year.
I hope we see you for our meeting, this time or next time, so that we can talk some more about it!
Saludos,

viste que son cosas obvios que no ve el argentino...y siempre viviendo de emociones!!

indafold said:
viste que son cosas obvios que no ve el argentino...y siempre viviendo de emociones!!

Am I missing something, or this comment has nothing to do with the thread?

==========
Hola, Indafold:
Que casualidad, mi tia tambien vive en Banfield...!

Sara Sara

in response to why if the writer is argentine why would we write in english...but it had been asked in the name of "zeus"...

Back