Any Bikers Out There?

Not sure. When I had my GS here in 2006-2008 there were not that many. You'd see a 1200GS every once in a while. There were more 650GS' around. Now, I see more 1200 Adventure's than ever and the F800GS is pretty popular. Often, the 1200 is just too big. It wasn't easy to maneuver in the city. If I were to get another bike I'd get the F800GS.

The only time I get nostalgic is when I see a couple of BMW's pass through the city, dirty and loaded with gear.

Sensible.
Other way round with me mate, maybe a midlife crisis but I doubt it; I only took up biking about 5 years ago and wish i'd started years ago when I really could afford it.
Heck, I love it more every day!

Picked up the new bike yesterday out in Don Torcuato.
Not really new but feels like it.
Nice turn of speed, decent acceleration and cruise speed and doesn't yet make my teeth vibrate and fall out.
I like the nifty alarm too, which went down well with the insurers.
Went with the previous owner to the vehicle register in Tigre to do the transfer and as anyone who has ever done a vehicle transfer here will know, it's a hideous experience and something I will never get used to. Ever.

So I did the ownership transfer on Monday which involved them kindly relieving me of $1000, a process which took about two hours, endless rubber stamps and tours round the block to photocopy stuff that nobody will ever look at, ever again.
Returned to the registry today, which was, thankfully empty and signed for the new green card (brown actually) and registry document.
I then hopped over to the town hall, who also took money off me to deactivate the bike from their system and enable me to log it on to the nice people at the registry in Olivos, who no doubt will also want to suck some blood from me.
So, all in all, a four part process where you end up with a file under your arm an inch thick.
Back in my neck of the woods, you meet up in a pub with the green vehicle form, get drunk, tear the form in half and keep one half each, buy another pint and then try to remember to post your half off the following morning.
Job done!

Nice little trip to Lujan with a couple of mates, following a choripan at Mi Sueño on Costanera Sur, next to the nature reserve.

A bunch of us bikers are meeting up at 0900 tomorrow Wednesday 2nd April.
YPF Panamericana R9 northern direction at Pacheco and then on up to Ibicuy, Entre Rios for some choripan action.
Link to meet up if anyone here can make it:
https://foursquare.com/v/ypf-panamericana-ramal-campana-oeste-pacheco/4d5470526d508eec31a7f0da

Whoa, that Isle of Man video really had my heart pounding., especially watching the front wheel wobble when they set it down a little off-center.

I know sweet Fanny Adams about road racing; I only ever rode dirt. The fastest I've ever gone on a bike is 110mph, and that was in a dry wash out in the Anza-Borrego desert, on my old black-and-yellow YZ250, tapped out in 5th gear. And I'm sure I would have been terrified if I hadn't been too busy.

But there is a certain sense in which a biker is a biker is a biker, dirt or street. And I'm sure you know how it goes. You strap on the armored kidney belt, leathers, knee-high armored boots, then you drop your pants and shove the shinguards with attached knee cops down into the tops of your boots, plastic cuirass, forearm guards with elbow cops, armored gloves, your trusty Bell Moto helmet goes on last of all, and something changes in you. All your doubts and fears get stuffed away in the back of your head, to be ignored, and it's time to ride.

Something like that, although I haven't quite reached bikers' uniform yet, such as tattoos, silver chains, body piercing etc
But I do have a black leather jacket and shades.
You're right about the 'get on and ride' though.
It's a feeling of liberation that perhaps can be compared to horse riding or sailing a small boat across the ocean.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Gringoboy Travellers Stories 8
Gringoboy Expat Life 0
French jurist Expat Life 5
Gringoboy Expat Life 0
Back