Any UBA graduates out there?

laureltp

Registered
My main reason for coming to live here was not to go back to studying, but I thought it would be a good idea since I am here.

The degree I have isn't really useful, especially not here. Also, trying to build a life here isn't so easy without the right education. I started the whole process for entering the University of Buenos Aires, but then for some pretty complicated reasons I had to stop. Now I am at the point where I would like to try again. But I am feeling a little discouraged. I know a few people who did study abroad programs for a few months at UBA, I know people who are trying to enter UBA, I know people who are currently studying at UBA, but I don't know any foreigners who have actually graduated and have a degree from UBA.

If there are any UBA graduates out there on this forum, what kind of advice could you give? How challenging are their programs? How was the overall experience? I've heard that it's better than a lot of private universities here, is that true? How does it compare to a typical university in the US? I have to take high equivalency exams in Argentine history, literature, geography, and civics, how hard are they to pass? Is a degree from UBA competitive in the job market?

I think I would feel much more encouraged if I could find somebody out there who has already accomplished what I would like to do. For now I am just drowning in a sea of rules, regulations, and paperwork!

Thanks in advance.

Well...I'm afraid I fall into the category of "started but didn't finish" students at La UBA (due to other commitments, nothing to do with the course itself) - I also enrolled in a masters program which as far as I can tell was a bit more organised than the undergraduate system so my experience may be slightly different...
I studied at Puan and have to admit the teaching level was incredibly high and the degree itself was very challenging - The amount of reading and background reading and monografias we were expected to undertake mean't that most students (even those not working) took twice as long as the two-year + thesis minimum to finish the degree.
I've heard that undergraduate degrees (probably because you don't pay a contribution towards them) are even more disorganised... and take at least 5/6 years of work (if youre dedicated to it full-time). HOWEVER, from what friends tell me, the level of teaching is greagt (just disorganised) and if you can stick with it and get a degree from La UBA, I think you'd probably be top of the list as far as an Argentine education is concerned - most of the private universities are just money-making machines and don't have comparable academic standards AT ALL! I studied abroad for a year at San Andres, which is one of the most prestigious private un'is here, years ago and was pretty appalled at the level (compared to my uni in London) I know that when we've been employing people in my job, we always look more closely at candidates with degrees from La UBA! I have no idea whether La UBA means anything to employers abroad BUT I'd guess that a degree from such a massive public institution is probably going to look a lot better than one from some obscure private college (internationally speaking) - the UP here for example...
I think that another thing to consider here is the shady credit transfer system...When I was at UBA, a lot of foreigners entering post-grad degrees were asked to take undergraduate classes - seemingly for the hell of it (there was no standardised procedure). I know undergraduate students here too who have transferred from private universities to La uba and weren't allowed to transfer their credits. This could add serious time to your degree.
If time is an issue for you, I'd say check out a private uni or maybe even a correspondence degree with somewhere in the UK or US...if not, go for it...but be prepared for a looooong commitment!

La UBA means a lot in Argentina, but not much when applying to US colleges.

A case in point: my husband graduated from the UBA School of Engineering with a 9.5 grade average. Nevertheless, he was admitted to MIT "conditionally", and would be accepted as a regular student only after completing his first semester there.

The reason given was that the Admissions office could not evaluate how good his grades were, compared to those of other US universities. In other words, the UBA degree meant zilch to them.

SaraSara said:
La UBA means a lot in Argentina, but not much when applying to US colleges.

A case in point: my husband graduated from the UBA School of Engineering with a 9.5 grade average. Nevertheless, he was admitted to MIT "conditionally", and would be accepted as a regular student only after completing his first semester there.

The reason given was that the Admissions office could not evaluate how good his grades were, compared to those of other US universities. In other words, the UBA degree meant zilch to them.

It certainly didn't mean zilch. He still got in.... There are many others even with US undergraduate degrees that don't get in at all.

Another question. I have heard something about how you have to go to your consulate in your country and ask for a spot as a foreigner to study there. But when I went to the office on Uriburu and when I talked to the Ministry of Education nobody seemed to know what I was talking about. Before I came here (that was almost a year and a half ago) I tried to call the consulate of Argentina in New York and ask about reserving a spot to study as a foreign student but the lady I got a hold of was super b*tchy and told me I needed to talk to UBA about that but UBA was telling me to talk to the consulate about that. Do you know if I need to reserve some kind of spot to study or something like that? I am not even sure what I am talking about since the whole thing was so unclear to me!

From what I was told the UBA degree although it takes 5 to 6 years to complete is only counted as a bachelor degree in the US, I don't know if that's true or not. We are probably going to be here quit some time and if we leave we might even end up in Australia (where my boyfriend's parent's live, although he is actually Venezuelan, long story...) Anyway, I think the US is usually hard on degrees from other countries, I don't know how Australia is but I've heard that the US don't tend to accept degrees from other countries even if the University has a good reputation.

From what I was told the UBA degree although it takes 5 to 6 years to complete is only counted as a bachelor degree in the US, I don't know if that's true or not. We are probably going to be here quit some time and if we leave we might even end up in Australia (where my boyfriend's parent's live, although he is actually Venezuelan, long story...) Anyway, I think the US is usually hard on degrees from other countries, I don't know how Australia is but I've heard that the US don't tend to accept degrees from other countries even if the University has a good reputation.
That is correct. Unlike the US and Europe Latin American degrees are not devided in undergraduate/graduate. This sucks when you want to apply to foreign universities or jobs that require a graduate degree (some organization may accept your 5 year degree as a graduate degree, but this is not the norm). That said, lots of argentines (including most of the proffesors at the UBA ) do their masters or PhDs in the US or Europe, so the UBA degree is certainly not worthless.

As far as studying at the UBA, i think it depends on your motivation and what you want to study. Keep in mind, the UBA requeries a more serious long term commitment.

mini said:
It certainly didn't mean zilch. He still got in.... There are many others even with US undergraduate degrees that don't get in at all.

My point is, the admission officers knew nothing about the UBA. He would probably have had the same chances with a degree from the UCA, St. Andrews, or the Salvador University. He got in through a combination of good grades and an essay he wrote, but mostly by sheer luck: they were probably short of Latin American male applicants that year. American universities like to keep a certain percentage of foreign students to add spice to the mix.

IMHO, the UBA is the best university in Argentina, so an UBA degree means a lot here. I don't think that's the case overseas. At least, it wasn't back then.

No offense but NO ONE gets into MIT by " sheer luck ". That is quite an accomplishment. Your husband must be one intelligent dude. *tips hat *

I see what you mean as far as UBA not having more standing than any other University in Argentina on an international level and that is to be expected. The most internationally respected Universities are usually found in the US and the UK although that has started to change recently.
SaraSara said:
He got in through a combination of good grades and an essay he wrote, but mostly by sheer luck:

Laurel: what do you want to study here??
How is your level of spanish?

What is your first degree from the US?

I personally would not do a whole bachelors degree again here, but a masters or a postgraduate course .......
In Australia they may well value your first US degree and recognize your masters......

Back