Anyone Else Experience An Attempted Robbery On Christmas?

I was living a year in the US. My former girlfriend had a kiosk at 2 rennaisance festivals. The goal was to find employeds who know to give change. It means that the client pays with 20 and they have to know that they have to give back 3 if the almonds cost 17... No peronist there...

With all due respect Dr. Rubilar this post does not make any sense.

Now I see why you are so happy with things in Argentina, obviously coming from money then. I wonder if you or your folks have ever walked among the workers in their factory to see if they are actually happy with what they are being paid. Oh wait, they're probably unionized and get paid much better than most anyway, right?

And I've worked with IT companies and professionals here in Buenos Aires. Much, much different than many (most?) industries because the IT industry is much better paid (without unionization, I might add) than most industries here, thanks to foreign companies (like me, at least I used to be) who came in years ago and began paying better than local companies. And most lucrative projects coming from outside the country (unless they are projects for the government, of course).

One programmer to another you think Wild had a an IT company for real? I could see Wild watching the tiolets at the cemetary but not much beyond that.

I have a IT company in Microcentro and my parents have a factory in Campana, Buenos Aires, so I know what I am talking about.

2 years on the company, 30 in Argentina, never had an issue.

Maybe you do not know how to deal with people in this country, or you do not pay them enough and think they are slaves, then you will have issue, like everywhere on the globe.

So enlighten us. If it's not direct competition then the more business succeeding is surely beneficial to your community and the market you benefit from, so please tell us just a few success or harmony tips for conducting either industrial or IT business in Argentina. Since you come from an industrialist family you probably come from hardy entrepreneurs instead of large landowners, so I'm not being ironic in the least bit: how do you deal with the labor and legal climate in Argentina? If it comes naturally to you please consider an outsiders point of view, or ignorance, and remember the concept of mutual benefit, or onda, and help us with your experience from insiders POV.

My friend's father used to have a factory for most of his life in Buenos Aires. He would spend almost half his time in court. His employees, who were working en blanco, would get a few witnesses to claim they had worked for him en negro for many years before being hired en blanco. His advice was to get a damn good lawyer, and consider the lawyer fees as monthly expenses rather than extraordinary expenses. Disgruntled employees suing you is almost a given.

I actually do know of some IT companies that work efficiently and their owners have absolutely no trouble with their employees, but they are explicitly made out of neighborhood alliances and remain very small (12 employees or less) and outsource most of their work to Montevideo.

It is kind of wierd but you ALWAYS seem to have problems with the people that "works" for you, the maid blablabla, albaniles blablabla, ex-employess blablabla. Never in my life seen someone that has so many problems with their employess...

It's the norm. Either you're lucky or lying about the realities of having people work for you here. My mother-in-law has had all sorts of issues with her employees and she was born and raised here, has had her company 30+ years, and has employed a lot of people and always paid fair wages. It's not about not knowing how to deal with the people or not treating them right.

I don't mean to be insensitive, but when the people you employ come from meager means and bad neighborhoods the chances of having them or a family member steal from you can be riskier. One woman came to an interview and admitted that several of her family members were in jail. She may be okay, but you don't know the friends or family they keep. It can be difficult to choose honest people to invite into your home.

And I unfortunately agree that being nice can be seen as being weak.

My friend's father used to have a factory for most of his life in Buenos Aires. He would spend almost half his time in court. His employees, who were working en blanco, would get a few witnesses to claim they had worked for him en negro for many years before being hired en blanco. His advice was to get a damn good lawyer, and consider the lawyer fees as monthly expenses rather than extraordinary expenses. Disgruntled employees suing you is almost a given.

And then they wonder why their salaries are so low. It really is sad because even if you have a few great employees and you want to pay them really well and give them bonuses etc. You just cant take the risk. So you end up with having not only mediocre employees but employers that cannot really excell either. By excell I mean progressive salery and bonus programs based on performance. Which are very effective for managing both employees and businesses. Especially in IT because you dont want your gurus walking out the door with their talent or your precious intellectual property.

And then they wonder why their salaries are so low. It really is sad because even if you have a few great employees and you want to pay them really well and give them bonuses etc. You just cant take the risk. So you end up with having not only mediocre employees but employers that cannot really excell either. By excell I mean progressive salery and bonus programs based on performance. Which are very effective for managing both employees and businesses. Especially in IT because you dont want your gurus walking out the door with their talent or your precious intellectual property.

True, but do you think waiters, sales people and busboys make that much money in countries like the States? Yet, you don't see them suing their employees.

A comment . How do you provide incentives for good workers..? If workers are unionized like porteros or UHTRA covers, restos, hotels , and food industry, if the union determines a 30 % increase across the board , a 33 % raise for good workers makes sense??? Who will put additional effort for a 3% EXTRA.?? :eek:

True, but do you think waiters, sales people and busboys make that much money in countries like the States? Yet, you don't see them suing their employees.

Workers at that level have very little protection in the US - unlike the rights they have in Argentina. If you're not a union worker, the only options for a claim you would have in the US would be based on discrimination, sexual abuse, unfair labor practices, etc.

Back