Anyone Lived In Rural Argentina?

La Falda and surrounding towns in the chica sierras have some amazing older places built in the heydays (haydays?)...as second summer homes for BA and Cordoba folks to get away out of the heat/humidity in summer ..although 40,000 seems kinda low to get something ...This last year has been the wettest in over 5 years, so all the resouviors are full.(antarctic melt contributing? ...past years have seen drought in some areas...La Falda's altitude and nice mountain breeze mean it is about 4 degrees cooler than BA, drier....We have had snow here only two times in the last 3 years......rivers/creeks do tend to run dry at times...reminds me of high desert country in the flats,

No kidding! That is what I was hoping to find there! But the "typical" dish that almost all restaurants have on their menu there was Gulasch. No Wiener Schnitzel :(

No spatzle either? und pork schicken mit sauerkraut

Exploring the area with a car is probably the best way to see what towns you like. That's what I did when I moved here. I do not know how far away you want to live from the city (I am about 30 mins from the city) or what you are exactly looking for. But one area not worth exploring is the area directly to north of the city of Mendoza: Las Heras (unsafe, ugly). Towns south of the city like Chacras de Coria etc. are nicer but usually more expensive than the towns to the east of the city. If you consider living farther away then Valle de Uco area and the area around San Rafael maybe worth looking into (San Rafael is about 2 1/2 - 3 hours from Mendoza capital by car).

Regarding the German towns: I had lived in a very rural "German" town on the Chilean side for a while - in the lakes region (10th region). It was very nice but packed with obnoxious tourists from Santiago in summer. The rest of the year it was raining almost every day. Rent outside the tourist season was cheap. Food etc. mostly expensive. It was very safe though.

Puerto Varas?

Check out villa Merlo in San Luis. It's pretty neat place. We go there offten and love it!

I've been considering La Falda (also Biallet Massé a bit further in the South). How are the seasons? Are the rivers dry in summer? Possible to find old houses for 35/40.000 USD (not in perfect shape but I prefer older constructions, anyway my goal is to build my house).

Another place (not visited yet) in Cordoba is Calamuchita/Villa General Belgrano (South of Cordoba, about 1 hour away). I've heard good things.

Here's an interesting "rural" property for $399K:

http://www.remax.com...Fe_420121005-92

There is a "nice" (older but well maintained) four bedroom home with outbuildings on 10,000 sq.mtrs. near my property. The price is about $600K. Even at the official rate, that is only about $50,000 USD. The property is completely surrounded by tamarisco trees and there are many mature fruit trees near the house.

Back