Anyone regret moving to b a

MizzMarr said:
Xeneizes, I dont mean to rain on your parade, but you don't even live here yet! Online research and talking to people is a far cry from actually walking the walk for a year. Your salary won't be a "middle class" income in Argentina, either.

I've participated in the threads where you've asked for advice, so am familiar with your story. Shared housing and bare bones living aren't what most people are prepared to do, or what they would consider a "good" quality of life. I'm not saying you can't do what you're proposing (fresh out of school and in your early 20s I encourage you to come), but think that you should wait until you get some actual experience living here before trying to advise others about what is or isn't possible.

I've spoken to several (young) people who are in my position working at my company on my salary. While I don't live there yet, and I understand your point completely, I still think you and many others are taking this "bare bones living" way too far. They all live fine, don't struggle to eat or make ends meet, and some have rent as high as 2500 pesos or so for a single studio with my same 5000 gross budget (which I won't be doing, because I think that WOULD be stretching it)

MizzMarr said:
Your salary won't be a "middle class" income in Argentina, either.

This is completely different than everything I've been told and read in multiple threads and multiple websites. I have never heard someone say 5000 pesos is below average. Many, many argentine families live below that. I'm not talking about wealthy expats on foreign salaries. I'm going to argentina and I'm going to live a middle class Argentinian lifestyle, which i don't really think will be too far off from how I live now, or how I lived in Spain last summer when I studied there.

All well and fine. There is a 20 page thread discussing the ins and outs of that discussion. THIS is a thread asking people if they regret moving to BA. Maybe you can contribute your opinion a year or so after you've done so. (I think you'll do ok on ~$4250 net a month in shared housing, and have said so. Wish you all the luck and a great experience. Sorry, but this thread simply isn't about you.)

MizzMarr said:
All well and fine. There is a 20 page thread discussing the ins and outs of that discussion. THIS is a thread asking people if they regret moving to BA. Maybe you can contribute your opinion a year or so after you've done so. (I think you'll do ok on ~$4250 net a month in shared housing, and have said so. Wish you all the luck and a great experience. Sorry, but this thread simply isn't about you.)

I didn't mean to hijack the thread, but I was responding to something already posted by someone on a middle class lifestyle that I thought was very incorrect and a deterrent for anyone thinking about going to BA. The negativity about finances is starting to get to me and I just want to get down there and experience it all so I do have first hand knowledge.

I do appreciate your insight along with everyone else who have been, for the most part, a great resource on this site (just a bit pessimistic at times) :)

Cheers.

sorry jp ,i dont agree....my investments are sound...i think ill be ok

xeneizes well said...there is alot of negativity....i go to b a every year ,i rent apartments ,i eat very well....and its still four times cheaper than my home country...

You will be more than fine on 16k USD a year here. I'm no expert, I have only been here for just over a month but you should be fine and actually be able to live beyond what I would deem ¨middle class¨ as far as some characteristics go, it just really depends what you prioritize on spending money on and what you cut back on and/or eliminate all-together.

For example, I knew I wanted to live in a good, safe, and central area, but because I am never home and use my place more as a crash pad (IE: bed, shower, place to chill), I opted for a basic shared flat in Recoleta, as opposed to a private ¨ex-pat¨ type of apartment that costs thousands per month and eats away at a huge chunk of money each month. It is still quite nice, I have a large bedroom with balcony, a pretty spacious double closet and cleaning service three times a week. This for me is perfect, and at this time I require nothing more. Some ex-pats might want the privacy of living alone, a gourmet kitchen with all the gadgets, designer furniture, etc, that they are used to back home.

In turn however, I do spend more than average on eating out, as I also do not cook at all and eat out practically all of the time, and manage to eat out very very well in top restaurants for very little. (Steak dinners that in the States might run me upwards of $150 a pop, here for around the equivalent of $28 USD and lunch menus at quality restaurants can cost the same as what you'd pay at McDonalds) I also go out to good boliches about 3 times a week.

I carefully assess everything I spend money on, I altogether eliminate buying things which I feel are ridiculously overpriced unless it is direly neccessary, and I opt for quality local products (shower gel, toothpaste, etc) as opposed to trusty old (but easily 6 times more expensive) american brands like Colgate. I am not referring to generic ¨off brand¨ products, just brands that because they are made in Argentina are considerably cheaper and I personally also prefer them, but am by no means living frugally or ¨being cheap¨, just being smart, and I really have a general feeling of living better than I would be able to live in both the States and in my native Spain here for a lesser dime.

It all depends on what is important to you in your lifestyle, I guess. Most of my Argentine friends earn between 3500-5000 per month and as you said, live decently.

dk2 said:
sorry jp ,i dont agree....my investments are sound...i think ill be ok

Its not about how sound your investments are mate, its about how your foreign income keeps up with local inflation.

In the four years I've been here prices have pretty much doubled across the board. I now pay twice as much for rent, food, entertainment, medical etc as I did in 2007.

If you only plan on being here a few months you might not notice the difference, but plenty of people have been here for years - and have seen their dollar salaries/pensions/investments buy them less and less each year.

Not trying to be negative - I love living here and have no plans to leave. But you have to work pretty hard to keep up with inflation. Thats just a reality of life here, and if you if want to stay long term its worth thinking about how you'll manage it.

Reactions: jb5
One particularity to Argentina: "middle class" here means you have some access to the consumer culture of the developed world but it is limited, i.e., you have an (old) computer, (cheap) cell phone, decent vacation (that you save all year for). You go out and have one or two drinks on the weekend.

The consumption habits of North America/Europe are for the upper middle class here.

HeyBA said:
The consumption habits of North America/Europe are for the upper middle class here.

And adult Argentine "children" still living with their parents.

Back