Anyone regret moving to b a

keep it country...hit the city when ur in the mood for partying!!!!!!!!!! nice peacefull stress free simple life ,thats what i want...horses and chickens

No regrets here. The city is beautiful and the people are friendly. Prices, although steadily climbing, are still relatively affordable compared to other world class cities.

However, if you are looking for a place to live off of your powerful (assuming) currency like Argentina was several years ago, I think the place you are looking for now is probably in Thailand or somewhere else in Southeast Asia. At least for the time being.

PhilipDT said:
Steve, I've been thinking a lot about moving out of the city for a much quieter town. The one thing that has been holding me back is the worry that the miserable grocery selection in buenos aires will look like paradise next to the selection in a small town. Is this more or less accurate or are the shopping options fairly decent?

I live in Necochea, a city of about 65,000 inhabitants on the Atlantic coast. The shopping options, both for food and other items, are OK, but if I'm looking for something "unusual," I normally need to take a trip to Mar del Plata (1.5 hours away). If you can't live without ethnic food, small town life won't hack it for you. There are no ethnic restaurants here (not a one), and it's virtually impossible to obtain the ingredients you'd need to cook those foods at home. Life is quieter and cheaper here though - it's a trade-off!

jb5 said:
Skip the supermarkets! In small towns across Argentina people have local farmers they buy directly from. They have people selling empanadas from the houses. Lots of small butcher shops. On Sundays people grill chickens in their back yards, put out a sign and sell them. Even people making cheese.

We've eaten much better in smaller towns than in BA in many ways!

I've been to many small towns in the province of Buenos Aires. While people do tend to buy most of their meat at small butcher shops and veggies might be grown closer to home, I haven't seen all these empanada-making, chicken-grillling, cheese-making folks you refer to. Sure, there are people scattered here and there who sell food out of their homes, but grocery shopping at a supermarket or almacén seems to be the norm for most towns (unless we're talking a really, really small town!).

There are days when I feel like throwing in the towel and going back and days when I feel blessed to be here. I was super prepared for this move. I decided I wanted a simpler life and boy did I get it. I really mentally prepared myself to live with less, eat out less, and trade-in a lot of life´s small luxuries for time with family and friends that I love.

I came with my husband who is Argentine and the move has put me in a position where I am a little more dependent on him than I am used to. I guess I do regret the move sometimes for that reason. I regret giving up some of my independence but, I did it because I do believe in the reasons why we are here. My earnings alone are not enough at this point for the things I want to be able to do (and that isn´t much). Likely, if we stay for a long time this trend will continue. His income here has a lot more potential to grow by leaps and bounds than mine does. For couples that are considering the move new roles in the relationship may add a lot of stress.

Occasionally people will post complains about their life here. The fact is that most people that don't like living here leave. My guess is about 80% of people leave within two years of arrival. They leave for a lot reasons not necessarily because they didn't like it. This forum is made up of old hands(who I assume like it) and generally people who haven't been here very long who are still in the honeymoon stage. Also its human nature for people not to want to admit mistakes or errors(i.e. moving to Argentina was a bad idea), so I doubt we are really hearing from all the people with regrets.

I am sort like jayjane.. in the part that sometimes I want to just go back to the USA.. but sometimes I want to stay here.... but of course when I read about the economy and jobs back in the states. Sometimes I think I am fine here. There are days that life here is frustrating as can be.,.. then there are days that are just so nice and you think... this is a great beautiful city full of so much to do. I guess as soon as I leave Buenos Aires and return to the States... I will miss this city just like I miss many things back in the USA!... So NO I am not sad at all to be living here or have moved here... I am just like many others who are worried about the cost of living and where it is all going..... Cheers

Easy place to spend 8,9 months and you are obligated to work in Argentina

I love BA im in my 20s and living here has been an experience believe me.. I understand that u wanna know how things are before coming here but u need to experience it yourself! this city has allot to offer and while u are here if u want to get some extra money then u can teach english or something.. shared apartments work very well at least for me.. my budget is not that much but I live great in a great area.. u just need to look and just enjoy the ride..

I visited multiple times before I made the decision to relocate so I knew what I was getting into. Despite that, I've had my challenges living here and even contemplated returning to the US at one point. Luckily, I got through that phase and am now settled here for the very long-term. Even if it hadn't worked out the way it did, I never would have regretted taking the chance and coming here. Moving abroad for an extended period of time teaches you things about yourself that you simply won't learn if you never leave your comfort zone.

As for the rest - everyone has different experiences here. 90% won't last more than a year here. And that's okay, it's a nice place to vacation. Living here full-time and having a life here (as opposed to being in a tourist bubble) presents a unique set of challenges that you simply can't understand until you experience it.

Come, see if it's for you and if not, leave. As long as you have a realistic understanding of the expenses, the headaches and the joy of "haciendo tramites";) along with the images of rolling pampas, great wine and asados and spending lots of time with friends - it's all good!

Back