Appointment To Renew Us Passport?

For kids under 16, even if they have a prior passport, it is not technically a renewal -- you'll need to apply in person with the DS-11 form. Both parents should go, unless you have a notarized consent form form your husband, and appointments are required. Check out http://argentina.usembassy.gov/passports/apply.html for all the details and forms.

I found the forms on line, filled them out and printed them. Went to the embassy on 5/24 with no appointment and got an email today that my new passport was ready to be picked up.

Now we have to go Argentina immigration for the 90 day visa extensions. I kind of doubt that will be as easy and smooth.

Anyone have any suggestions about that?

I need to renew my US passport within the next couple of weeks. It's impossible to speak by telephone with someone at the embassy, for I'd like some clarification on several points re renewal. Can anyone help?

Since the US embassy's website mentions only DHL delivery of the new passport, I'd like to know from anyone here if it's possible to arrange for pickup of said new passport at the embassy. I'd prefer to forego any type of mail service delivery, if possible.

Also, does the embassy still have passport renewal form DS-82 available to complete onsite when going for my renewal appointment? I do not have access to a printer at this time so am unable to print a copy from online.

If I have the required passport photo, CC form of payment, old passport, all in hand, can I complete the renewal process at said appointment?

Any assistance with these questions will be greatly appreciated!

Looks like yes!

http://argentina.usembassy.gov/mobile//passports.html

sorry i misread your post, i thought you were wondering if it was possible to get a new passport at the embassy and not mail away for it to the States!

The forms are available at the Embassy and you can request during the interview to pick it up there when it is ready. It is not the normal procedure and if you get thru on the phone they will probably not offer the option as it will be the consul's decision. if they deny the request you can pay for DHL afterwards.

I relied on the information above about picking up my new passport at the Consulate instead of using DHL delivery service. Today I learned that PERSONAL PICKUP at the Consulate is not an option anymore due to the huge number of passports being processed in Buenos Aires.

Since I don't have a printer at home, I used a public computer to print the DS-82 renewal form and complete in writing. It's best to have it prepared for your appointment with your photograph stapled in place. An appointment is obtained on the Embassy site.

Ring the bell at the American Services window and present your passport. Then you can enter the security area and don't have to wait in the long line of non-US citizens. All your belongings are searched and you pass through a metal detector. Certain items will have to be checked before you can enter.

Pass by all the long lines of people and go to the Consulate area with your passport in hand. You'll be directed to Window 15 to take a number for your turn. I waited 40 minutes to present my passport, renewal form with photo. Then wait to be called by name to Window 12 where you pay the passport ($110) and/or card ($30) fee in dollars, pesos or credit card. Wait to be called again to Window 15 where the receipt for payment is requested. Passports are delivered in 15 days. The card takes two months, so two DHL air bills are required for separate deliveries.

This is the DHL information page given to you for receiving delivery of your new US Passport:

All passports will be delivered via DHL. To have your new Passport and/or Certificate mailed directly to you, please visit the DHL branch at:

DHL Express SA
Avenida Cabildo 1209
Belgrano, Capital Federal
This branch offers services to Embassy visitors from 9:00am to 6:00pm

You will be asked to provide the following:
* the full name listed on the passport and/or certificate
* the mailing address
* the telephone number where you can be reached, and
* payment for delivery services

Once the Embassy has your passport and/or certificate available, we will send it to you via DHL to your mailing address. Please note that packages take about two days if you have a mailing address in Buenos Aires. For mailing addresses outside of Buenos Aires province, please allow four business days to receive your package.

IMPORTANT
If you do not receive the passport within 15 days, send us an e-mail to [email protected] with a scanned copy of the DHL air bill.

(updated November 2014)

I went to the DHL office in Belgrano today to pay for mailing services of my passport and card. They charge 160AP per package, so I paid for two way bills: the passport arrives in two weeks, and the passport card takes two months to process. DHL takes care of the way bills for the Consulate, and you get a copy of the DOMESTIC EXPRESS bar-coded way bill and a receipt.

Back