Are The Price Increases Affecting You?

Note that this data is far from accurate. For instance, the data of Argentina are the official values which were at least "creative" in the past. In general, I would be very suspect of any kind of statistics for which the exact methodology is not published.
Agree
The US figures are laughable for sure.

Agree
The US figures are laughable for sure.

Why do you say that? The BLS methodology is incredibly in-depth especially considering the size of the US Economy. As I mentioned here, the INDEC only publishes price data for Buenos Aires metropolitan area. The US BLS collects data from urban areas all over the country.

Why do you say that? The BLS methodology is incredibly in-depth especially considering the size of the US Economy. As I mentioned here, the INDEC only publishes price data for Buenos Aires metropolitan area. The US BLS collects data from urban areas all over the country.

The New Revised INDEC index is an average for the entire country, which is meaningless if one lives inside the CABA ...!!!

We ordered sushi from our favorite sushi delivery place last night and was hit with another price increase.

I pulled out some old receipts and did a few calculations.

This isn't meant to start a debate about the prices of a luxury item like sushi, I just thought it was interesting to look at how

prices have gone up over the years.

Pete & Ron

Sushi Inflation Index

www.furusato.com.ar
www.sushi.com.ar

For Combo Dos - Combinado de maki / rolls surtidos, niguiri y sashimi de salmón rosado, pescados blancos y mariscos - 30 pieces
MAKI / ROLLS
2 hongo shitake
2 kiuri (pepino japonés)
4 salmón rosado
2 California roll
2 New York roll
2 Tuna roll
NIGUIRI
4 salmón rosado
1 langostino
1 pulpo
1 salmón ahumado
2 pescados blancos del día
1 piel de salmón grillada con salsa teriyaki
SASHIMI
3 salmón rosado
3 pescados blancos del día

May 11, 2014 - 30 pieces (for the last 4 years they've been offering a 15% coupon with your order)
$414 -15% $62 = $352

April 11, 2014 - 30 pieces
$394 -15% $59 = $335

March 16, 2014 - 30 pieces
$394 -15% $59 = $335

March 22, 2013 - 30 pieces
$266 -25% $66 = $200

Feb 10, 2013 - 30 pieces
$266 -25% $66 = $200

Dec 18, 2012 - 30 pieces
$240 -15% $36 = $204

Jan 17, 2012 - 30 pieces
$198 -15% $29 = $169

Nov 13, 2011 - 30 pieces
$186 -15% $28 = $158

Dec 21, 2010 - 30 pieces
$136 -15% $20 = $116

Jan 2008 - 34 pieces
$85

Aug 10, 2002 - 34 pieces
$42

Crisis Dec 2001 - Argentine Peso falls off the 1-1 peg with the USA dollar

From Aug 2002 to Jan 2008, it took 5.5 years for the price to double from 42 to 85 pesos.
From Jan 2008 to Nov 2011, it took 3 years for the price to double from 85 to 186 pesos.
From Nov 2011 to Mar 2014, it took 3 years for the price to more then double from 186 to 394 pesos.
From Aug 2002 to May 2014, the price increased 880% or 6.2% a month (141 months between the 2 dates) - that's 74% a year!
From Dec 2010 to Nov 2011, the price increased 37% in ll months or 3.4% a month
From Mar 2013 to Mar 2014, the price increased 48% in l2 months or 4% a month
From Apr 2014 to May 2014, the price increased .5% in l month

Some will claim that in NY sushi is more expensive and or sushi is not Nac % Pop . Give me a break! :mad:

When I managed the company here, 20% was a standard increase + performance bonuses. The problem is at some point, you can't continue to justify that kind of cost increase (esp for a multi-national). I had knock down drag out fights with the US parent company to get those raises and I can't say the employees were even happy about it. It wasn't a pretty time and one of the reasons the company decided not to expand her and sunset the employees - it was swimming upstream trying to do business and it was more expensive here than any of our other int'l programs. Which would perhaps have been tolerable except you had all the corp taxes on top + the 283839493 feriados a year so it just wasn't the best.

I think employees should get raises - absolutely - but it's also important to understand that at some point, the piper needs to get paid. Employers are getting squeezed from the employees, from their suppliers, from the client who wants costs reduced or at least more stable - it's a no win at some point.

Thought of another one - I make all my own pizza now. But that's generally b/c I don't like pizza here, ESP where I live (inedible) so it's easier/cheaper/tastier to do it myself.

I haven't bought clothes here in a very, very long time.
Imposable to continuously raise prices inorder to accommodate overhead increases based on locally generated inflationary insanity. We bled from the arteries for our employees until the cost to pain ratio reached the red line. "Sunset" became a merciful term for Argentina as we redistributed the work and dumped the market. You can't make a profit in an insular market with international clients. Adios Xtina, see ya when the swallows return.

I like people's different cutting-back strategies.

Mine:

1) I started using the city's yellow bikes to come to work instead of the Subte. I love it, except that it's hard to get a bike in the afternoon leaving Microcentro. I need to take my own bike to get fixed and start using it (but would then have to pay to park it in a garage, which would pretty much be the same as taking the Subte.)

2) I try to shop on the weekends at Carrefour, Coto, Vea, or Disco when it's Buy 1/Get 1 50-70% off or 3x2 - this is essential for diapers. If not, I use Coto Digital on Tuesdays, Wed, or Thurs when it's 15% with all credit cards and get everything delivered (which is SO convenient).

3) I now make my own yogurt, granola, and bought a breadmaker.

4) I never take taxis (but I never really did - I am a lover of public tranport and walking).

5) If going out with friends, I might suggest coffee instead of lunch/dinner.

6) I used to follow all the Groupon/LetsBonus, etc. promotions, but I got tired of all the emails.

7) I check prices on MercadoLibre. (almonds can run 100 pesos less per kilo than in your neighborhood dietetica - just one example)

8) I ask for a raise at work when I feel it's appropriate. Have been turned down but have also gotten it. "Never hurts to ask."

We were never really big eater-outers, so that's beside the point for me. I'm willing to splurage on the occasional dinner out. I do all the clothes, shoes, etc. shopping back home in the US and always bring back items to sell to help pay for the trip.

I do see a change in what we have been able to save, specifically in the last year. I am very nervous about school prices in the future, but up till now we have always crossed the bridge when we came to it, and I execpt to continue doing so.

I'm sure there are more examples. I have never minded ways to save a penny, so these adjustments have never been made with a scowl. Off to lunch (I bring leftovers from home 80% of the time).

To me it's interesting that all of these posts discuss how to spend less money, but not how to address what seems to be the real problem: that pay increases appear to not be keeping pace with inflation. Do any of you work with your respective unions to collectively demand better pay increases?

The Argentine economy has a structural inflation problem that is not going to be changed any time soon (without the terrible results of past efforts), and patchwork savings tricks can only be a temporary solution. Do expats avail themselves of the advantages Argentine workers have of well-organised collective bargaining?
And the money for your pay increase comes from?

Privately employed: Prices are raised to cover your pay increase.

Public employee: More pesos are printed to cover your pay increase.

Result: you get 25 percent, and inflation increases 25 percent + IVA on raised prices, on average 30-32 percent.

Cristina has licked inflation. I've been coming here for five years and the last two apartments I've has have been the cheapest apartment of the entire 5 years! My current apartment is only $500 a month (and no expenses) - in Alto Palermo and with a balcony - luminous on the 7th floor.

The Blue Dollar which the Neo-Liberals will tell you reflects inflation has been hovering around 10 for a full year!

Stop crying Maple Syrup tears.

cristina-batucada.jpeg

$500 a month !? Better to rent than to spend $100+K on purchase or to build one!
Joe,any vacancy?Wanting to be your neighbor ! When can I come over to check it over?

Back