Argentina is expensive. Really don't know how middle class here get by

Sounds like we should move to Belgium.
My kid is paying $1300 plus internet of about another $100 a month for a one room apartment in Seattle, unfurnished. It has a view of the brick wall next door. Thats considered cheap there.

I would agree that the middle class here is extremely squeezed right now, with the inflation rate of the last few years, the high prices of anything imported, and the lack of good paying jobs.
When I compare it to 2010-2012, when new stores, restaurants, and businesses were opening almost daily, when you actually saw help wanted signs in Buenos Aires windows, when things were booming- its a tough time for the middle class.

I live here in January to April on the equivalent of £1000 a month. That feeds two of us, pays the utilities, takes us to a Milonga every day and eat out twice a week. We shop locally and get great service, last night we had a meal for two, two litres of Stout and spent 500pesos with tip. If this is expensive, I would dearly love to know where you think cheap is.

I live here in January to April on the equivalent of £1000 a month. That feeds two of us, pays the utilities, takes us to a Milonga every day and eat out twice a week. We shop locally and get great service, last night we had a meal for two, two litres of Stout and spent 500pesos with tip. If this is expensive, I would dearly love to know where you think cheap is.

So what is your rent in BA? You have the equivalent of U$S 1, 288 a month. I mentioned elsewhere on this site a doctor I know who earns 28,000 pesos a month with an exhausting schedule. That's about £588. The great majority of Argentines do not earn the equivalent of £1,000 a month. If you haven't noticed, shops are closing all the time. International flights are full of foreigners. Few Argentines can afford to go abroad. I don't know what kind of a place you ate in, where it is or what you ate but for most people it's expensive in BA.

You can live there if you want. I would consider it a nightmare at any price.

You missed the point. It is not a discussion of personal taste. The per capita GDP of Singapore is US$57,000 vs US$14,000 in Argentina. Singapore is one of the most expensive countries in the world, and that is a luxury building in one of the most expensive countries in the world. The fact that there are apartments in Buenos Aires with comparable prices is crazy.

So what is your rent in BA? You have the equivalent of U$S 1, 288 a month. I mentioned elsewhere on this site a doctor I know who earns 28,000 pesos a month with an exhausting schedule. That's about £588. The great majority of Argentines do not earn the equivalent of £1,000 a month. If you haven't noticed, shops are closing all the time. International flights are full of foreigners. Few Argentines can afford to go abroad. I don't know what kind of a place you ate in, where it is or what you ate but for most people it's expensive in BA.

The people who say it is cheap are those who do not shop here for clothing , buy no electronics, do not have a car here . This is not a normal life but one of a short term traveller . People are suffering terribly in Argentina today due to the crazy prices in pesos for most products . Those expats who are saying it is very cheap here are insulting most of us who happen to work and live here full time .

You missed the point. It is not a discussion of personal taste. The per capita GDP of Singapore is US$57,000 vs US$14,000 in Argentina. Singapore is one of the most expensive countries in the world, and that is a luxury building in one of the most expensive countries in the world. The fact that there are apartments in Buenos Aires with comparable prices is crazy.

I think it's been stated here that the apartment advertised in BA is unusual. First of all, it may not rent for the advertised price. Argentines very often think their property is worth much more than reality. Also I think this flat is being marketed for embassies or high level execs. I don't think it will rent for the advertised price. I take your word for it that the Singapore fiat is a luxury property but the complex looks ghastly, totally cold and sterile. And it also looks far from any central location.

I take your word for it that the Singapore fiat is a luxury property but the complex looks ghastly, totally cold and sterile. And it also looks far from any central location.

It is not a discussion of aesthetics, as tastes are unique to each individual. But it won the 2015 building of the year award at the World Architecture festival.
It is also literally walking distance from the Google, HP and Coca-Cola's Asia Pacific Headquarters and 5 minutes drive to the Walt Disney APAC headquarters. It was build to cater to the executives of those companies.

The people who say it is cheap are those who do not shop here for clothing , buy no electronics, do not have a car here . This is not a normal life but one of a short term traveller . People are suffering terribly in Argentina today due to the crazy prices in pesos for most products . Those expats who are saying it is very cheap here are insulting most of us who happen to work and live here full time .

Actually, Stargatefix lives here permanently, does all her shopping here, doesn’t own a car but bought a cheaper method of transportation to get around and is totally not considered a short term traveler. I can’t speak for anyone else who has commented, but neither can you.

I take your point, but I thought that this post was about costs for visitors, as much has been said about eating out and rentals. Most people reading and commenting are not, like you, living on and Argentine income. To live with this level of inflation is a nightmare. Anything imported is, ludicrously expensive, but if you eat and shop like a local and not in the tourist hotspots this can still be a cheap place to visit.
As you know I do not need to pay rent, but I still have all the day to day expenses, my energy bill, for two months is equivalent to a day at home, and while beer is about the same cost, eating out (locally at any rate) is cheaper.
I simply could not live here full time, it would drive me nuts, but I still maintain, that for a visitor, it can still be cheap.

One Afterthought :rolleyes:... Argentina is not only Bs.As. City /CABA or Palermo , Recoleta, or Barrio Norte...?

One can always choose other large cities or smaller cities in the Provincia within reach of Capital in a 100 km radius...! the cost of living is a fraction of Capital...! :cool:

Back