Argentina is expensive. Really don't know how middle class here get by

One Afterthought :rolleyes:... Argentina is not only Bs.As. City /CABA or Palermo , Recoleta, or Barrio Norte...?

One can always choose other large cities or smaller cities in the Provincia within reach of Capital in a 100 km radius...! the cost of living is a fraction of Capital...! :cool:
I am with you Rico, but for folks the fun and excitement is to live in a big city that is walkable and has tons to do and for free! lived in LA and there is a lot to do but super pricey! although you got the beach...awhhhhh

I take your point, but I thought that this post was about costs for visitors, as much has been said about eating out and rentals. Most people reading and commenting are not, like you, living on and Argentine income. To live with this level of inflation is a nightmare. Anything imported is, ludicrously expensive, but if you eat and shop like a local and not in the tourist hotspots this can still be a cheap place to visit.
As you know I do not need to pay rent, but I still have all the day to day expenses, my energy bill, for two months is equivalent to a day at home, and while beer is about the same cost, eating out (locally at any rate) is cheaper.
I simply could not live here full time, it would drive me nuts, but I still maintain, that for a visitor, it can still be cheap.

This topic is about how the middle class is getting by with the very high inflation . Soon there will be a crash like 2001 and we need to be informed .

I am with you Rico, but for folks the fun and excitement is to live in a big city that is walkable and has tons to do and for free! lived in LA and there is a lot to do but super pricey! although you got the beach...awhhhhh

You mean live in some scruffy little town in the prov. de BA where they have half dead trees in the plaza, their trunks painted white a meter up. Stray dogs roaming the plaza. Maybe a single grimy cafe. And absolutely nothing whatsoever to do?

It is not a discussion of aesthetics, as tastes are unique to each individual. But it won the 2015 building of the year award at the World Architecture festival.
It is also literally walking distance from the Google, HP and Coca-Cola's Asia Pacific Headquarters and 5 minutes drive to the Walt Disney APAC headquarters. It was build to cater to the executives of those companies.

According to this it's around U$S 3,000 for a 1,000 SQUARE FEET aprox flat.
https://www.propertyguru.com.sg/listing/21590299/for-rent-the-interlace?ref=ls|tl3|12|1
After looking at the photos I agree that the architecture is interesting but it still seems an isolated complex without any street life that would force you to have a car. Coca- Cola may be a five minute DRIVE away but it doesn't look like a place people would want to live in unless they have high paying job to attract them there.

You mean live in some scruffy little town in the prov. de BA where they have half dead trees in the plaza, their trunks painted white a meter up. Stray dogs roaming the plaza. Maybe a single grimy cafe. And absolutely nothing whatsoever to do?

Small towns are great for people with full personal lives, families, and interesting jobs which integrate them into the community. Their happiness does not depend on stuff like good cafes and entertainment. With friends, family, and dogs, they have more than enough.

Many couples in their early thirties are leaving Buenos Aires and settling in small towns around 300 kms from Buenos Aires. They start their own businesses, and bring up their children in a safe, healthy environment. I know several couples who moved to Alberti, Azul, and Pehuajo, and will not return to BA.

Such small towns may look scruffy to outsiders, and probably would not suit an expat without local ties. But the safety, clean air, and rich small-town community life, are attracting many young families..

Small towns are great for people with full personal lives, families, and interesting jobs which integrate them into the community. Their happiness does not depend on stuff like good cafes and entertainment. With friends, family, and dogs, they have more than enough.

Many couples in their early thirties are leaving Buenos Aires and settling in small towns around 300 kms from Buenos Aires. They start their own businesses, and bring up their children in a safe, healthy environment. I know several couples who moved to Alberti, Azul, and Pehuajo, and will not return to BA.

Such small towns may look scruffy to outsiders, and probably would not suit an expat without local ties. But the safety, clean air, and rich small-town community life, are attracting many young families..

To raise a family General Rodriguez and/or Lujan are excellent locations, all less than, an hour and a half, freeway drive to Capital.

Cities like Junin or 25 de Mayo, Chivilcoy, Giles, or Chacabuco are worth looking into . Cities like San Pedro, along the Parana river are also worthwhile.

Sergios grim views are not realistic.

To raise a family General Rodriguez and/or Lujan are excellent locations, all less than, an hour and a half, freeway drive to Capital.

Cities like Junin or 25 de Mayo, Chivilcoy, Giles, or Chacabuco are worth looking into . Cities like San Pedro, along the Parana river are also worthwhile.

San Pedro is a prosperous area. Not sure it is so cheap. Yes, Junin may be cheaper but if you don't have work in rural areas and don't have a family it would be extremely boring. And it is not as safe as you might think. There is a reason that people converge on the capital -- work. My description of the typical town in the province is realistic.

McKenna’s first hand experiences in a couple of posts about Chivilcoy provide a very different perspective.

The Uk is Way Cheaper for Food in supermarkets than Argentina ( Buenos Aires) Waitrose, Asda, Sainsburys, and 400% better quality. Organic Selection, Restaurants are much cheaper too, even in London.

Rent hear is still cheap on Average than LA, $400K per Year is CEO Money, you could buy a nice place in LA for that - Mortgage $1,500,000. with about
7k per month payment, (the guy is out of his tree...)

$1.5MM barely buys you a starter home in Santa Monica or Venice.

Back