Argentina; land of the selfish

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with your statement. But I would not generalize. Not all Argentinians are the same. Perhaps it is a trait of some "porteños". Misguided arrogance is one of the signs of poor self-esteem.

I'm afraid it is necessary to generalise as what I have stated regarding selfish behaviour is generally true. Yes, there are thoughtful people here however there is a disproportrionate number of people who simply do not care about their neighbours or the society in general. Something is missing in Argentina - certainly there is little community spirit. Most disturbing is what I perceive to be a widespread lack of kindness. I have no doubt that individuals are going to come back with anecdotal evidence of acts of kindness however I stick to my point: this is an aggressive society focused on the individual with little concern for others.

Aggresive is a society where kids carry guns to schools, where if by chance you don´t make enough money you die like a dog, where instad of keeping things simple and talk to your neighbours you send them a police patrol... This is not the US, if you don´t like it, go back home - or try to change it like many inmigrants did. Each and every country has its own miseries, and if I had to choose, I would rather live in a place where each and every one of my moves is not planned, inspected and measured.

I think this is discussion which surfaces time and time again. The ways of the locals are not going to change anytime soon....if ever. People who must live here, including locals transplanted from the provinces, have similar complaints. But somehow the trade off seems beneficial enough to keep them here. Some came by choice and select to move on. Tourists seem to be too busy sightseeing. Isn't it grand to be able to have choices.

"JG" said:
they run out of a shop and walk right into you looking the other way, even when they are looking right in your direction, they still walk into you.
I find myself walking a lot on the outer edge of the sidewalk closer to the street. There's almost a whole 'nother lane if you dodge the phone booths, tree plants and bus stops. I'm surprised more people don't use that outer lane. Maybe this is where dogs are supposed to dump but I don't see that it's any worse than the rest of the sidewalk. Sometimes you have to step out into the street into oncoming traffic, but that's pretty normal. I prefer that over constantly playing this game of chicken to see who's going to move first. If I'm on the main area of the sidewalk I usually split it up 50/50. Half the time I'll hold my ground and not get out of the way, the other half I'll give them the right of way.

"Can you believe these people!?! They TOLERATE!?! I've never seen such a thing!"Yeah, I'll bet you haven't. The great majority of these comments are disgustingly intolerant. I wish you well in a search for a place that will make you happy...truly, I do.If you are here voluntarily, please do YOURSELF a favor and move to someplace other than Latin America's Noisiest City. If you are here involuntarily, you can buy a pair of the BEST foam earplugs in the world (the little orange jobbies in a clear plastic box with a string that connects them) for about 6pesos at any big farmacía. Comfy. 100% effective.Or...stick around. You'll get your way eventually. Already, there is NO place, no café or bar or shithouse where anyone can smoke...not one. Why couldn't people like you leave us ONE? Please expect more noisy, smoky, all-nite discos...in the apartements in your neighborhood.
Soon, I'm sure, those of your type will begin to require police raids of groups of hard-working young people (about 400 pesos a week) who make "too much" noise on their private property. You'll get your way...eventually. You already know that you can change the world...you just have to change all the people in the world.

Well ,about finding argentines in general self centered and selfish, ive said enough already and dont take a word back. Its my observation regardless of whether i want them to change.
And about the smoking, dont be silly, there are plenty of places to still smoke. the popular Gibraltor pub in my area has 2 smoking areas. i went back there to talk with friends and this girl had one after the other, even the garden was a haze of smoke. i had 2 beers, she had 20 cigs. hmmm.
Second hand smoke endangers everyone exposed to it. we want a beer, want to eat, want to type a letter back home and not be killed (blah, blah, see previous posts). Buenos aires has passed a progressive law that even baltimore back home doesnt have yet. Porteños should be proud. Im not a missionary and im not out to reform you of your addiction. just dont take me or the kids with you fella. i cant always stay at home!

Wow. "Even Ballimer"!I just wish you guys could find it in your progressive hearts to leave me one place where you and your kids don't wanna go...other than your designated gas chambers.

Hi All of you
It's a pleasure to read posts about my own country having lived in the US for 3 years....
Regardless of Horace's depiction of Argentineans as self-centered and individualistic(with many of whose descriptions I agree ), it seems some of you forgot some basic facts-habits about the USA. I myself lived three years ago in the USA, and had my personal experience as well, I have never lived in another country, but I came back intimately convinced that should there be a most selfish ranking country the USA would top it.
-Millions of Homeless (in a country with the world's highest GDP)
- No general medical insurance (one out of five uninsured)- It wouldn't surprise me that the figure should rise as medical costs are sky rocketing.
-Increasing tax burden on the middle class and a general uproar whenever any tax change debate arises......Greed, greed.....
-No interest whatsoever in what happens abroad, foreign politics, sports, it's all about the USA, the world finishes where the USA finishes. Just take a look at the headlines of the main newspapers.
-No time nor culture to enjoy some of the true pleasures of life: family (americans gather twice a year, for thankgiving and christmas with luck!), food, friends. Life revolves around jobs and if that means moving every five months and uprooting a family, breaking a couple, then be it, money comes first.
-Kids' education based on being the smartest kid on town, therefore the preassure on practising yoga,joining play groups, etc from 3 months onwards..No surprise then on the recurring incidents of high school violence. That sheds some light on what is going on with american families (for more information I recommend LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE, not to miss!)

I could go on forever and ever but I don't want to bore you (Should I speak about the how the USA endorses the Genevas' Convention of war detainees?) No, I guess you could all go and watch The Road to Guantanamo by yourself...
I believe there are worse thing that tuning the music so high that even your mercosur neighbours could listen
Saludos and
Good night

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back