Argentine citizenship for foreigners?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any idea if the process the same or different for children born overseas who are entitled to citizenship "por opcion"? (ie. children of Argentine citizens born abroad)

III. ALTERNATIVE APPLICATION IN THE ARGENTINE REPUBLIC
You can also do this process directly in the Argentine Republic. For that purpose, if your partens were born in Argentina, once you are 18 years old you can apply for the Argentine nationality directly yourself. You must personally show up at the National People Registry (RENAPER) and request the application in Decree 1601/04.
The following is required:

1) Foreign birth certificate of the applicant duly legalized by this Consular Office in Toronto (see requirements here), which must then be translated into Spanish by a national public translator registered in the Argentine Republic.

2) Birth certificate of the Argentine parent(s) issued no more than 6 months before.
To contact the "National People Registry" in Buenos Aires please use the methods of communication below:
Telephone: (0054-11) 4393-0566
E-mail: [email protected]
Web page: www.renaper.gov.ar and choose: Opción de Nacionalidad

Decreto 3213/84

Art. 2° — Cuando se tratase de hijos menores de DIECIOCHO (18) años de padre o madre argentinos nativos, contemplados en el artículo 1º, inciso 2), de la Ley Nº 346 y sus modificatorias, que se hallaren en país extranjero, la opción por la nacionalidad argentina deberá ser formulada por quien o por quienes ejerzan la patria potestad ante el Cónsul argentino que corresponda, quien procederá a la inscripción del menor en el Libro de las Personas del Consulado, previa verificación del vínculo y la calidad de argentino nativo del padre, de la madre o de ambos, según corresponda.

Asimismo podrá efectuarse la opción en territorio nacional por quienes ejerzan la patria potestad y por los mayores de DIECIOCHO (18) años, directamente ante el Registro Nacional de las Personas, oportunidad en la que acreditarán el vínculo y la calidad de argentino nativo del padre, de la madre o de ambos, según corresponda.

Great, thanks very much for the info. The kids are under 18, so it looks pretty simple to do at RENAPER.

Bajo_cero2 said:
Ok. You have to go to Palacio de Tribunales, it is in Talcahuano between Lavalle and Tucuman. You should enter by the entrance at Lavalle street, as soon as you are in, you go right to the end and then left a few doors. There you will find "Camana nacional de apelaciones en lo civil y comercial". There you say you want to do the citizenship. You should be there no later than 11 am.
http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palacio_de_Justicia_de_la_Naci%C3%B3n_%28Argentina%29

They ask for: CUIT or recibo de sueldo, birth certificate, DNI, police adress certificate, local and foreign certificate about you are free of criminal records. They ask all this papers because they use the restrictive doctrine about citizenship. However seems you have all that they ask.

They double check you have all the papers they ask, they give you 2 forms, you fill them, sign and they assing you a judge. The next building you should go is just across the square to the left, the block after Colon Theater.

Any doubt, just feel free to call me, my office is 2 blocks far. 4371-3727 and 15-3296-6249.

Regards

Bajo Cero,

Thanks for the good advice here. I've had permanent residency for a few years now since I've lived here legally for almost 7 years. I know a few years ago I asked my lawyer about getting citizenship here and he told me it wasn't as easy as you are making it sound. He also said there was a test you had to take. Is that still the case?

Maybe he was saying all of this so he could charge a fee but is the test still required and if so how difficult is it?

I'm American so I have a US passport. My kids were born in Argentina so they have dual citizenship and have USA passports as well as Argentina passports and DNI. I never bothered with going for the citizenship as I didn't see any big benefit besides getting an Argentine passport which I figured would be valuable as an American. (Too many countries still hate us Americans).

I know it's easy for children born to Argentines to get citizenship but do you know if there is any special consideration if your kids are citizens and born here and parents aren't from Argentina? Both my wife and I have DNI's, CUIT/CUIL and pay tons of taxes here in white so that won't be a problem showing income here....

Thanks in advance.

earlyretirement said:
Bajo Cero,

Thanks for the good advice here. I've had permanent residency for a few years now since I've lived here legally for almost 7 years. I know a few years ago I asked my lawyer about getting citizenship here and he told me it wasn't as easy as you are making it sound. He also said there was a test you had to take. Is that still the case?

There is a lot of misunderstanding about citizenship, even among judges. Your lawyer and most of the judges are using an abolished law that was design to do not give you citizenship.
Law 346 and it´s decrete are design to bring population to an empty country.

earlyretirement said:
Maybe he was saying all of this so he could charge a fee but is the test still required and if so how difficult is it?

With all my respect, he had no idea what he was talking about. There is no test. This was regarding the abolished law, abolished in 1984...
The procedure can be done without a lawyer but only if you full fit the requirements the judges ask. Otherwise you need an specilized lawyer.
I charge only on the difficult cases (perma-tourist, illegal entry, criminal record, illegal staying, etc), otherwise I suggest you go by yourself.
The only advantage about going with a lawyer in your case is all about to enforce the 90 days deadline.

earlyretirement said:
I'm American so I have a US passport. My kids were born in Argentina so they have dual citizenship and have USA passports as well as Argentina passports and DNI. I never bothered with going for the citizenship as I didn't see any big benefit besides getting an Argentine passport which I figured would be valuable as an American. (Too many countries still hate us Americans).

Well, there are some advantajes. If you have any kind of issue regarding criminal law, a citizen might sign a plea bargaining or a suspensión de juicio a prueba (if you don´t have criminal record, the system gives you a second chance, if you behave for some time your brand new criminal record is erased, you are forgiven) but under the same situation with permanent residency you lose it, you go to jail and you get deported after 50% of the sentence. A car crash with casualties nowadays has until 6 years of prision for example. It means you don´t need to be a criminal. Self defense improperly used might be an issue too. If you are negligent regarding medical care of your spounse or children you might be in jail until 10 years. These are only some examples.

earlyretirement said:
I know it's easy for children born to Argentines to get citizenship but do you know if there is any special consideration if your kids are citizens and born here and parents aren't from Argentina? Both my wife and I have DNI's, CUIT/CUIL and pay tons of taxes here in white so that won't be a problem showing income here....
Thanks in advance.

Having native children makes you elegible for citizenship, in fact, it cannot be denied even if you are a criminal according to Supreme Court.

Regards

Bajo,

Thanks for your good advice. Just out of curiosity what do you charge for your services to assist with the process for citizenship? I know I can probably go alone as I'm fluent in Spanish but in my experiences living here....if you have an expert that has experience and knows what they are doing the process is drastically sped up. For me time is money so I'm curious to know your fees.

Thanks for your information...

Bajo_cero2 said:
Having native children makes you elegible for citizenship, in fact, it cannot be denied even if you are a criminal according to Supreme Court.

After what period of time, the standard two years or something different? And does it apply to the non-citizen parent of argentinos nativos por opcion?

earlyretirement said:
Bajo,

Thanks for your good advice. Just out of curiosity what do you charge for your services to assist with the process for citizenship? I know I can probably go alone as I'm fluent in Spanish but in my experiences living here....if you have an expert that has experience and knows what they are doing the process is drastically sped up. For me time is money so I'm curious to know your fees.

Thanks for your information...

I sent you a PM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back