Argentine citizenship for foreigners?

Status
Not open for further replies.
French jurist said:
Well, oh well.

Yes, by reading the law 21.795, especially with the introduction (the will to abrodge the old low 346 that is +100 years old), it seems that two years of legal residence, certified by the DNM are required.

But that's not.

Thanks, FJ, but that's not what?

Reading the rest of your post I'm still uncertain as to what constitutes two years of legal residence to comply with the citizenship requirements: just physical presence, permanent residency and physical presence, and/or???

steveinbsas said:

Reading the rest of your post I'm still uncertain as to what constitutes two years of legal residence to comply with the citizenship requirements: just physical presence, permanent residency and physical presence, and/or???

Steve, once again your insight is amazing! You zero in on exactly what is important. I wonder if it had anything to do with the many times i banged you over the head with this problem of disagreement on terms? All these threads on this topic have been one big shouting festival without any agreement on basic terms. I see you have finally come around to my side of things. Imitation is the highest form of flattery, and i do thank you. It almost makes up for the dis-respectfulness you exhibited earlier.

gunt86 said:
First hit on google for "Dual citizenship allowed US" =
http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1753.html
Much more helpful than anything said on this tread about this topic. Amazing how lazy people are.

From the site (something I had previously read):

The concept of dual nationality means that a person is a citizen of two countries at the same time. ... In order to lose U.S. citizenship, the law requires that the person must apply for the foreign citizenship voluntarily, by free choice, and with the intention to give up U.S. citizenship.

mini said:
I know. It took you a whole three pages before you did the amazing feat of using google. It's clear you're pissed off with Steve, but don't take it out on the rest of us.
Mini, you were giving Laurel incorrect advice. I just didn't want Laurel to misunderstand the complexities as they could possibly cause her problems.

I actually know quite a bit about US immigration law myself and this part of the law "In order to lose U.S. citizenship, the law requires that the person must apply for the foreign citizenship voluntarily, by free choice, and with the intention to give up U.S. citizenship." has something very dangerous in it......this in particular "and with the intention to give up U.S. citizenship"... Whatever does it mean??? What constitutes proof of intent in this instance?? Let's see if Steve can figure it out!!! It was so nice of Steve to visit the State Dept link that i provided.

gunt86 said:
Steve, once again your insight is amazing! You zero in on exactly what is important. I wonder if it had anything to do with the many times i banged you over the head with this problem of disagreement on terms? All these threads on this topic have been one big shouting festival without any agreement on basic terms. I see you have finally come around to my side of things. Imitation is the highest form of flattery, and i do thank you. It almost makes up for the dis-respectfulness you exhibited earlier.

The purpose of this thread was to ask a foreigner who had actually been granted citizenship in Argentina what they did, not what anyone else thought (including me).

We are still waiting for that dual national to appear and share the experience.

gunt86 said:
Mini, you were giving Laurel incorrect advice. I just didn't want Laurel to misunderstand the complexities as they could possibly cause her problems.

You are confused. I haven't given any advice at all.

I actually know quite a bit about US immigration law myself.
So do I.

I see that you've now added to your response:

gunt86 said:
"In order to lose U.S. citizenship, the law requires that the person must apply for the foreign citizenship voluntarily, by free choice, and with the intention to give up U.S. citizenship." has something very dangerous in it......this in particular "and with the intention to give up U.S. citizenship"... Whatever does it mean??? What constitutes proof of intent in this instance?? Let's see if Steve can figure it out!!! It was so nice of Steve to visit the State Dept link that i provided.

Yes. The most important part, is intent. If you apply for citizenship of another country which also allows dual citizenship, if you do not actually go through the steps of renouncing your US citizenship then it is not your intent to lose you US citizenship. You remain a US citizen.

If you apply for a citizenship where they do not accept dual citizenship or don't have an agreement with the US (which AR does) and you want to keep your US citizenship they I'd suggest you not move forward. Because then you will be fulfilling the three "tests" above. However, even then, it could be argued.

Anyway, we are not on Iranexpats.com. :rolleyes: Plus, she asked a general question & I gave a general answer.

Reactions: A&A
steveinbsas said:

that's not : that's not the case that the two years of legal residence are really required even if the law says so

steveinbsas said:

My guess : physical presence +2 years (more = better since the DNM accepted this state of fact as it seems to appear in the argumentation) + economical conditions + likely speak and write, etc... And more of everything, having your life here and the desire to become an Argentinean national

mini said:
The most important part, is intent. If you apply for citizenship of another country which also allows dual citizenship, if you do not actually go through the steps of renouncing your US citizenship then it is not your intent to lose you US citizenship. You remain a US citizen.
Incorrect. This "go through the steps of renouncing your US citizenship" is not the only way to demonstrate intent. There are many other ways to show intent, when in fact you might not even have realized that you were giving such evidence! I will give you one little example of intent - joining a foreign military. But there are many many more and far more subtle ways the US gvmt can trip you up on the question of intent.

mini said:
Anyway, we are not on Iranexpats.com. :rolleyes: Plus, she asked a general question & I gave a general answer.
Actually we are on something pretty similar to Iranexpats.com because you are a moderator on this forum. Many times in this thread you have deleted or edited my posts, yet you have left all of your offensive posts untouched.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back