Argentine citizenship for foreigners?

Status
Not open for further replies.
gunt86 said:
Incorrect. This "go through the steps of renouncing your US citizenship" is not the only way to demonstrate intent. There are many other ways to show intent, when in fact you might not even have realized that you were giving such evidence! I will give you one little example of intent - joining a foreign military. But there are many many more and far more subtle ways the US gvmt can trip you up on the question of intent.

Please, Gunther. Give me a break.

As I said, Laurel asked a general question & I gave her a general answer. SHE can go look further if she's interested. However, I'm quite sure that Laurel has no intent of becoming a citizen of Iran or N.Korea nor is she going to become a high ranking officer in a foreign military that is at war with the US.

And, BTW, you certainly CAN join a foreign military without losing US citizenship and the US gov't is not looking for "ways to trip you up" as they accept dual citizenship.

You can stop arguing with me about this now. ;)

sorry to start so much controversy.

If I stay here I might someday think of citizenship here. If we don't stay here and we decide to live in another country I might think of citizenship there. My son was born here and so he has Argentine citizenship and US citizenship (you have to ask at the Embassy for it). But what if we go to another country and ask for citizenship would we both risk losing the US citizenship? Then there is the question to whether or not somebody can have three citizenships. I used to think it was impossible until I met a girl with three (one being US). I guess I won't worry about it for now, we'll cross that bridge when we get there. It all is so complicated!!!

mini said:
Please, Gunther. Give me a break.

As I said, Laurel asked a general question & I gave her a general answer. SHE can go look further if she's interested. However, I'm quite sure that Laurel has no intent of becoming a citizen of Iran or N.Korea nor is she going to become a high ranking officer in a foreign military that is at war with the US.

And, BTW, you certainly CAN join a foreign military without losing US citizenship and the US gov't is not looking for "ways to trip you up" as they accept dual citizenship.

You can stop arguing with me about this now. ;)
The problem is that in your first post you told Laurel that the US gvmt may not revoke citizenship. I asked you if your were sure about that. You replied that you were 100% sure. Clearly you are dead wrong. As you are now starting to realize after some 'googling' that the US gvmt may revoke citizenship, and it is important to know under what circumstances. You misled Laurel, so how would she even know that she should explore the issue further after your adamant statements.

Read the case law. You will be surprised at what constitutes intent. I am not arguing with you, I am simply asking you to do some research before you make sweeping generalizations. It seems to be an endemic problem with most of the expats on this forum - full of answers, none of them correct.

laureltp said:
But what if we go to another country and ask for citizenship would we both risk losing the US citizenship?

I went all the way to the State Department to get an answer to that - the ONLY way to lose US citizenship is to formally renounce it in writing before the proper US authorities.

Additional citizenships are just ignored.

gunt86 said:
Read the case law. You will be surprised at what constitutes intent.

Direct quote from the website you cited: http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1753.html

Intent can be shown by the person's statements or conduct.The U.S. Government recognizes that dual nationality exists but does not encourage it as a matter of policy because of the problems it may cause. Claims of other countries on dual national U.S. citizens may conflict with U.S. law, and dual nationality may limit U.S. Government efforts to assist citizens abroad. The country where a dual national is located generally has a stronger claim to that person's allegiance.

gunt86 said:
I am not arguing with you, I am simply asking you to do some research before you make sweeping generalizations. It seems to be an endemic problem with most of the expats on this forum - full of answers, none of them correct.

Talk about sweeping generalizations!

gunt86 said:
Read the case law. You will be surprised at what constitutes intent. I am not arguing with you, I am simply asking you to do some research before you make sweeping generalizations. It seems to be an endemic problem with most of the expats on this forum - full of answers, none of them correct.

I guess you don't know how to read. I said, several times as a matter of fact, that IN GENERAL it is OK. That is by definition a generalization and is correct.

laureltp said:
sorry to start so much controversy.

If I stay here I might someday think of citizenship here. If we don't stay here and we decide to live in another country I might think of citizenship there. My son was born here and so he has Argentine citizenship and US citizenship (you have to ask at the Embassy for it). But what if we go to another country and ask for citizenship would we both risk losing the US citizenship? Then there is the question to whether or not somebody can have three citizenships. I used to think it was impossible until I met a girl with three (one being US). I guess I won't worry about it for now, we'll cross that bridge when we get there. It all is so complicated!!!

Well, I would question why you would want a third citizenship. I'm certainly not for collecting passports. I believe you should at least 'feel' the nationality you are seeking. But, that's not your question and not my business. And, it's your dime! ;)

You could certainly could get a third citizenship assuming that this third country allows you to be a citizen of another country and is not say Iran, N.Korea, Afghanistan, and you don't become a high ranking military officer or policy level member of the gov't. :rolleyes:

steveinbsas said:
Direct quote from the website you cited: http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1753.html

Intent can be shown by the person's statements or conduct.The U.S. Government recognizes that dual nationality exists but does not encourage it as a matter of policy because of the problems it may cause. Claims of other countries on dual national U.S. citizens may conflict with U.S. law, and dual nationality may limit U.S. Government efforts to assist citizens abroad. The country where a dual national is located generally has a stronger claim to that person's allegiance.
That doesn't look like case law to me! Nice of you to figure out how to use the paste function though! Once again, a very helpful post from Steve!!

mini said:
I guess you don't know how to read. I said, several times as a matter of fact, that IN GENERAL it is OK. That is by definition a generalization that is correct.
Given that you would rather spew out falsehoods, than do some research, it is clear that it is in fact you who has an issue with reading.

Please finish your homework. This is getting pretty disappointing given that you and Steve are both Merkins.

gunt86 said:
Given that you would rather spew out falsehoods, than do some research, it is clear that it is in fact you who has an issue with reading.

And you would rather spew out insults, most of which have already been deleted from this thread, but not before I copied and pasted all of them into my email account last night.

Nonetheless, just to be fair, I will acknowledge the one compliment you paid me this morning:

gunt86 said:
Nice of you to figure out how to use the paste function though!

Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back