Argentine citizenship for foreigners?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I very recently won my citizenship case and was sworn in and issued the carta de ciudadania. I used Bajo Cero's legal services; the cost was $1500 USD up front and $1500 USD on the day I was issued the carta de ciudadania. My background: I've been living in Buenos Aires for nine years and had legal residence only from 2007-2009; I own several legitimate businesses here, fluent in spanish and have no criminal record in any country. The entire process took about 17 months which was largely my fault for dragging my feet on getting all the papers in order, which probably added at least 6 months to the process. The bottom line here is that Bajo Cero is 100% legitimate and provided the exact services under the specified timelines noted in the contract we signed. $3000 USD to go directly from tourist status to full citizen of Argentina is probably the best deal on earth at present time.
Dear Sleazemerchant

Congratulations on getting your citizenship. And it was kind of you to share the details of your case (as you see it) with the forum and its readers. But is wise to be very careful with generalising the details of your case in a way that might mislead others seeking to begin the process.

You have shared what you agreed to pay in relation to your case, begun quite some time ago. Such details may (or may not) still be relevant to cases begun now.

You have also made assumptions about why your case took a particular length of time. These assumptions may not be correct. My own case took more than two years, despite all documents being ready and available at the outset. My own understanding is that one of the important variables is the judge assigned to your case. Another might be your country of origin. An important one will be luck, and how the judge or court staff feel on any particular day. And that is with clients using the same lawyer. Use a different lawyer and you have another important variable.

I certainly agree with you though that it was great to be taken through the process by a lawyer who is knowledgeable about the process, and very determined and assertive on his client's behalf.

Again, congratulations on becoming an Argentine.

La Fleur
Read the statements in bold. I call bullshit!

I haven't gone through my case, but I used Bajo_cero2 as well.

I started well before he had even won a single case, but after he had determined that if the constitution was considered, then his services could take you from TOURIST STATUS (as I had when I started the process) to CITIZENSHIP (which I currently have). In fact, when I went to get my DNI, the lady asked me for my previous DNI. I told her that I never had one... just my passport. She then went and asked her supervisor and even though it is ALL in their computer system, she wasn't so sure. But I was.

Also, when I went to pay for my DNI, the lady behind the counter asked me: "WHY?" I would want to become an Argentine when I already was an American (US) citizen.

When I started with Bajo_cero2, the price was a fraction of what it is now. I also only had to pay a fraction of the price up front. But that's changed, because he has now shown the judges and potential clients that his path will work. I got the equivalent of buying a Bitcoin when it was worth less than US$1.00.

I gambled, with low stakes, lucked out, and won. That hasn't happened much in my life.

QUESTION: Should you use Bajo_cero2?

That is up to you. That other immigration lawyer has now chosen to do some of the things that Bajo did and get his clients citizenship. Can he take you from TOURIST-to-CITIZEN?... I don't know. He couldn't get me a 1 year visa back in 2010.

My case took an extremely long time, because I kept going back to the States. For extended periods of time. in fact, my DNI says that I have been a citizen since JULY 2013, but I didn't give my oath until NOVEMBER 2013 and I didn't ultimately pick up my DNI until DECEMBER 2013.

SHORTY STORY:

-If you choose to use Bajo_cero2... you absolutely will get citizenship.
-How long will it take? Between 1 year and 2 years.
-Will he kiss your ass and tell you that Argentina is lucky to have you? No.

But he knows the process, because he created it. And he gets results. And he has a bazillion clients because of it.

I might expound on my story at another time, but tonight?... I'm going to sleep after another glass of Malbec.

That other immigration lawyer has now chosen to do some of the things that Bajo did and get his clients citizenship. Can he take you from TOURIST-to-CITIZEN?... I don't know. He couldn't get me a 1 year visa back in 2010.

I second that! He ( reference above) told me emphatically the only way, I can ever be a citizen isafter being a permanent resident and after spending about 6 years in total in Argentina. This he told me in Jan 2011 and then I discovered the awesome information on this thread.

$6500 seems like a lot. On the other hand I remember paying $3000 and more to lawyers in the US just for regular temporary residence visas - and that was more than a decade ago.

Your wish is my command.
Thread abandoned.

Isn't that just a bit extreme?

You have made many dozens of posts in this thread and I never asked you to stop.

I've never asked anyone to stop posting in this or any thread, but I have asked several members why they continued to post in threads which they said they were finished posting in.

I was simply stating what my original intent was went I started the thread.

As someone applying for citizenship without a lawyer I wanted to know if anyone had already done so.

I found your posts about "trailblazing" work to be a great contribution to the thread.

I was not asking you to stop now in the quote you cited...and I wont ask why you continue to post in the thread if you come back.

Of course you can do whatever you want.

Merry Christmas

Iam clueless as to why can the able expats there apply on their own? Perma-resident status then onto citizenship after eligible to go for it. When I 1st came to US as foreign student to N.Y.C. back in the 70's I applied for an US green Card all on my own and now toying with the idea of applying for the US citizenship and if deciding that it is beneficial for me then this time around also planning to doin' it all by myself. I know that if you are not proficient in managing the language I understand...But if you do the Castellano well then try it yourself, it is just alot of paper work, over and over again. I went through it but after earning it all by myself, Oh what feelin' to be able to beat the bureaucratic system !

Iam clueless as to why can the able expats there apply on their own? Perma-resident status then onto citizenship after eligible to go for it. When I 1st came to US as foreign student to N.Y.C. back in the 70's I applied for an US green Card all on my own and now toying with the idea of applying for the US citizenship and if deciding that it is beneficial for me then this time around also planning to doin' it all by myself. I know that if you are not proficient in managing the language I understand...But if you do the Castellano well then try it yourself, it is just alot of paper work, over and over again. I went through it but after earning it all by myself, Oh what feelin' to be able to beat the bureaucratic system !

dude, what do you keep talking about sitting on your computer in japan! Do you have idea about anything? Have you ever been to South AMerica?!!!

dude, what do you keep talking about sitting on your computer in japan! Do you have idea about anything? Have you ever been to South AMerica?!!!
Yes, ceviche-san, I have been in South America many times over..Just made a comment if you can speak/read the castellano in a reasonable manner, pushing the papers are an arduous job but best for you, you get to educate yourself better in undestanding the language of where you are residing and gettin' that Argentinean perma residence then onto citizenship. I did in my student days in Manhattan and my english level was somewhat and still not close to be advanced but got the Green card in my hands without paying to go through an attorney. However, if you have the dough to burn then the more power to you. But if you want to not bother with hundreads of red tapes to go through, then US$3k well spent, it is your money after all.

I guess if one to become illegal there, perhaps best to go untangle oneself through a competent lawyer, no recourse but to hire an attorney that can deliver..But I'm learning here that the fees are not cheap!

I have lived here for about 4 years - came on a 3 month tourist visa initially - next week I get my letter from the court to go and pick up my DNI - I will be a citizen. I think that in the last four years I have learnt just about everything you could need to know re: citizenship in Argentina and how to get it (from a layman's point of view). I have certainly learnt a lot about the lawyers here, the system here, the works. Bottom line - more than happy to share my knowledge and experience with anyone who wishes to pm me:)

I have lived here for about 4 years - came on a 3 month tourist visa initially - next week I get my letter from the court to go and pick up my DNI - I will be a citizen. I think that in the last four years I have learnt just about everything you could need to know re: citizenship in Argentina and how to get it (from a layman's point of view). I have certainly learnt a lot about the lawyers here, the system here, the works. Bottom line - more than happy to share my knowledge and experience with anyone who wishes to pm me:)

please tell us a little more about your story here on the forum if you will......... was it is total red-tape nightmare for you.. or was it just a time consuming process ...
..I am sure many people would like to hear about your journey through the DNI..citizenship ride....especially since you did it solo ...congrats to you.. happy new year.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back