Argentine passport holders: a question about US visas

chris said:
I'm afraid this is all very confusing. I was hoping to hear from ARGENTINE passport holders who have a TEN YEAR VISA to enter the US. My understanding is that the Argentine government KEEPS the old passport (unlike the US govt) when they give you a NEW passport. If so, WHAT does the Argentine passport holder do about the visa in the expired passport? The passport expired but not the visa. ANYONE out there who has had this problem? COULD I HEAR FROM SOME PEOPLE WHO HAVE FIRST HAND INFORMATION? Speculation doesn't help. This is an important issue. Thanks.

All cases can be different; however, my Argentine wife has a 10 year U.S. visa in her “old” Argentine passport. When that Argentine passport expired in 2009, she was issued a “new” Argentine passport and retained her “old” Argentine passport. She now simply has to travel (to the U.S.) carrying her valid "new" Argentine passport and her expired "old" Argentine passport containing her valid U.S. visa. She has been doing this successfully for years, no problems.
However, remember, all cases can be different. What’s up with the “attorney” recommending lying about passports, etc.????

This is the same situation it applies to me. I am an Argentine citizen, and when I travel to the US I have to carry both passports, the new valid one and the old one with the US visa. People do this all the time and the US immigration officers are not surprised about seeing this situation, they never asked me any question about it.

So the quick answer for Chris: as long as your new passport is valid and the old one has a non-expired visa, you all good to go to visit TIO SAM!!!!

Bajo_cero2 said:
I insist, when you renewal the argentine passport, they keep your old one. So, you should say that you lost it or you loose your visa.
In my case, I renewal at the consulate abroad and then you have extra 10 years with the same passport. Regards

I insist this information above is wrong.

My husband is Argentine, his passport from 3 passports ago has his American visa in it. He runs through passports extremely quickly because of all the travel he has to do for work. All you do is go and get the new passport done, you'll be sent it "in 3 weeks" and your old one you keep. They do not hold your old one, not even for a day.

We just renewed his passport in May, he was worried they would take it and he had to travel the next week, no they just had him do all the pic and fill in the forms etc and returned his other one.

He only need s to travel with the one with the American visa and the current passport, but he usually carts around all of his passports just in case.

Bajo_cero2 said:
el tema es que ahora lo hace el registro civil. Mientras lo hacia la policia era como te dije, la unica manera de no tener que entregar el pasaporte viejo era firmando una declaracion de perdida o hurto. Saludos

So when you have to go back on something you write in Spanish so some people on the board can't understand.

expatalex said:
My dad applied for a new Arg passport without being expired (was still good for 2 more months) he kept his old passport and was given a new one, the old passport now expired is in his posession, useless.. not even voided

In order to travel to the US all airline companies know the rule, you must have a valid passport and a valid visa or form of permit to entry, greencard, citizenship etc.. call American Airlines if you want to call the embassy, I think you are being hard on yourself and dealing with too many doubts

for sure once you enter the US the INS will void your VISA on the old passport, VISA for 10 years does not mean it can't be voided at any given moment at ant point of entry

the INS does not void the Visa in the old passport. the visa validity and the passport validity are not one and the same. You have to keep traveling with the old passport until that visa expires. They will not void it and they will not issue a replacement new one in the new passport unless you do the application again.

syngirl said:
So when you have to go back on something you write in Spanish so some people on the board can't understand.

An Argentine ask for advice from another Argentine. I answered and he didn t get it, that s why I answered again but in castellano.

Regards

Mind you, we are in a Spanish speaking country

The fact some of you Americans don't speak Spanish even after years and years here means only you are an ignorant bunch

We Europeans don't complain and we usually pick up a local language fairly quick. I've picked at different levels even languages like Japanese, Turkish, Hungarian by living around the globe

Offtopic, yes it is, but ignorance drives me nuts

Mind you - this is an expat website where English is the common language so people write in English. Just because we do doesn't mean we don't speak/understand Spanish but as a courtesy to those who don't (and mind you, that goes across all nationalities:rolleyes:) people here post in English.

A question was asked by an Argentine and the answer given by another Argentine, so Spanish as a language of choice is just ok

If a Spanish link is given, translating at least a part into English is also nice

Back