Argentine re-immigration

I visited Argentina 8 times before I moved and when I did I came as an immigrant not as rich foreigner as implied by the above post. I actually ran out of money many times the first few years and then from the second year I was self sufficient from local earnings only and not one dollar from overseas. I make all my monies here from working over 100 hours a week in a efficient manner as best as possible in this large city. I am sure if you saw how I worked very few would ever envy me

I am a realist and a cynical person and certainly I see Argentina with many faults but this does not imply that I see the rest of the world any better as I know clearly how the other world lives and their implications of freedom is a huge mortgage and a controlled society that is dictatorial in nature if not by name.

Australia for me is a great example of a flawed society that portrays itself as the lucky country when all around me I saw a lot of misery and a people that were very stressed trying to compete with the blatant materialism that is a hallmark of many societies.

John Pilger one of the worlds best journalist opened my eyes up to some of these human rights violations and he has written some very explosive articles about Australias policies against Aborigines and refugees during the Howard era.
http://www.johnpilger.com/page.asp?partid=9

In my life I have seen many injustices and for this reason I am happy to find a home in Argentina . It offers me a respite some of the worlds most brutal wars sponsored and abbetted by many western so called democracies. They call this freedom and liberation and other fancy terms but it is brutal war by destruction and genocide.

Argentina has its social problems and its crimes against humanity and its terrible villas that are mushrooming at a alarming rate. This does sadden me but also I do know that the government is not entirely responsible for supplying housing for millions of new refugees from neighboring societies. I do hope though that this problem is addressed as it bodes badly for our future in Buenos Aires.

Saying all that Argentina is my nirvana and my cherished home and there is no other country that I wish to move to now or in the future.

LAtoBA said:
A friend of mine traveled throughout Latin America last year and couldn't stop raving about how much more "enlightened" and superior those countries were to the US. Every time I pointed out to him that his "enlightened travels" would not have been possible without the employment benefits he was receiving, or without the opportunities the US had given his family as Somali immigrants, or that those very countries had racist pasts as well (issues they are only now starting to acknowledge) he relented somewhat.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that "romanticizing" a foreign country and the lambasting of their country of origin seems to be a common phenomenon with "priviliged" foreigners in a foreign land (Johnny Depp and his tirade against the US for instance). Yet those very same foreigners fail or refuse to realize that without their privileged citizenship and socioeconomic status, the glow of the city lights, the feel of the winter chill, and the taste of the food, would all take on a different meaning. Simply, the rules of socioeconomic class that are far less fluid in Latin America than in the US do not apply to us. They/we are "above the law"....and honestly, as advanced as Argentina is, thank god for that.

And this was not directed to Pericles, just thought ssr made an interesting point. Sorry for the tangent.

Yeah, I used to show my Argentine girlfriend stuff like this (on this website and others) and she'd laugh a bit at the silly foreigners (with plenty of money and/or some stable, developed place to return to should things go wrong in South America) who found paradise in Argentina. After a while, though, she didn't want to see it anymore because she just grew offended by it.

Her parents help some seriously poor people in the middle of Argentina. Pericles' insistence that Argentina is the land of opportunity, and better than any developed country, would leave them speechless, I'm sure (well, they'd probably have plenty to say about Pericles' mental state).

Well, Pericles, instead of arguing your case here, you should head out to the villas and insist that the people subsisting there realize how good they have it. They're in Argentina, the best place in the world! I'm sure they'll appreciate it. ;)

Be aware that personal attacks will start to follow as stated in the prior post, a typical pattern from people who do not know what the hell it's all about....probably tourists having a sabbatical break, so the essence and deep on the debate it's not an analysis or priority, it's just a joke for them to muck around.

Lucas said:
Be aware that personal attacks will start to follow as stated in the prior post, a typical pattern from people who do not know what the hell it's all about....probably tourists having a sabbatical break, so the essence and deep on the debate it's not an analysis or priority, it's just a joke for them to muck around.

If that's not the pot calling the kettle black.......

LAtoBA said:
If that's not the pot calling the kettle black.......

^^^^
People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones....

pericles said:
I visited Argentina 8 times before I moved and when I did I came as an immigrant not as rich foreigner as implied by the above post. I actually ran out of money many times the first few years and then from the second year I was self sufficient from local earnings only and not one dollar from overseas. I make all my monies here from working over 100 hours a week in a efficient manner as best as possible in this large city. I am sure if you saw how I worked very few would ever envy me

[/quote]

Pericles,

Since you decided to take my my post somewhat personal (though I could be wrong and apologize in advance), as noted by your "implied above post" bit, I suppose I can only return the favor--though you clearly didn't read the last few lines of my post.

You are and werea privileged foreigner not a rich immigrant. The fact that you were able to go back to Australia 8 times before moving only proves that. In the US I am not "rich" by any means, but I am not delusional so as not to understand the fact that I am able to travel and return home when things get rough or come and go as I please, tells me that I am indeed "privileged".

Every country has its flaws. No one country is perfect. I think we can agree on that. Viva Argentina y buenas noches.

ssr said:
Well, Pericles, instead of arguing your case here, you should head out to the villas and insist that the people subsisting there realize how good they have it. They're in Argentina, the best place in the world! I'm sure they'll appreciate it. ;)

Half the villeros are immigrants from Bolivia, Peru and Paraguay. They must "have it good" (not quite as bad) compared to the places they left, or they wouldn't be here.

ssr said:
Yeah, I used to show my Argentine girlfriend stuff like this (on this website and others) and she'd laugh a bit at the silly foreigners (with plenty of money and/or some stable, developed place to return to should things go wrong in South America) who found paradise in Argentina. After a while, though, she didn't want to see it anymore because she just grew offended by it.

Her parents help some seriously poor people in the middle of Argentina. Pericles' insistence that Argentina is the land of opportunity, and better than any developed country, would leave them speechless, I'm sure (well, they'd probably have plenty to say about Pericles' mental state).

I find posts like yours very telling as it shows the ignorance and lack of intelligence that some have to debate others . The classic approach is to belittle their point of view using mental capabilities to prove a brownie point and never answering one question when directed to them.

Can you tell me a country SSR that is perfect with no poverty ? Can you tell me the reasons for poverty that is a growing problem worldwide?

The USA has over 2 million people in jails by far the worlds highest and many of then are jailed for minor offences ie marijuana use with the three strike and your out policy.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incarceration_in_the_United_States

Since you care so much about people and believe that the USA is perfect go and visit them in jails and ask them if they are happy and if the USA is the land of oportunity . SSR Go and visit Detroit that has absolutely devastated by USA economic policy and ask the millions of unemployed in that region if they are happy and content and see the USA as the land of oportunity. http://scholarship.cz.cc/2010/06/de...lization-of-america-and-fall-of-the-republic/

Tell the Gulf Coast residents who are facing a very bleak future due to uncontrolled deep water oil drilling that will wipe out their childrens future . Now then seriously tell me that the USA is the land of oportunity:rolleyes:

pericles said:
Unemployment is much lower in Buenos Aires than USA and most of southern europe. In regards to wages being low I like to know compared to what? Argentina has the highest minimum wages in Latin America as well as the best workers conditions.
This is just very wrong information!

byrnepaulj said:
Hi All,

I know we hear a lot of talk on here about the flow of expats coming and going from Buenos Aires and how it has become a good fall-out location for those hit by the global financial crisis but do any of you know any Argentines that have been living in Europe or the US that have been forced to return due to the effects of the crisis?

Would really appreciate any suggestions/contacts.

Thanks,

Paul

Trying to take this thread back to the original question...

Paul I've heard it both ways. My Argentine brother-in-law and his soon-to-be wife work at Ernst & Young. They took advantage of a programme that they offer for young Latin Americans to go and work in their offices in Barcelona and Madrid. They chose to go to Barcelona 2 years ago with the idea of earning Euros, travelling, and hopefully saving some money to come home with. When they arrived there were 35 Latin Americans in their offices on the programme in different moments of the contracts (it's typically 1 year contracts that are signed with options to renew, E&Y sort out the work visa for you).

As the crisis hit Spain E&Y stopped renewing these contracts, which meant that upon expiry these Latin Americans had 2 weeks to find another company to hire them and re-issue a work visa, or they would have to leave the country. Most had to head home

As of now, there are only 3 Latin Americans left in their offices. My bro-in-law, his GF, and one other Peruvian guy. The GFs contract expired 1st of July, from what we can tell it has not been renewed (she's due to arrive here tomorrow so I guess we'll get updates). Since they are both taking 6 weeks "off" to come home and get married and then take a luna de miel, we're kind of under the impression that maybe neither of them has had their contracts renewed. My bro-in-law just keeps saying he'll update us "soon" -- so we're not sure if that means they're coming back permanently, or if he's waiting to hear about another offer, or what.

byrnepaulj said:
Would really appreciate any suggestions/contacts.

Suggestions / Contacts for?

Back