ATM Limits and Best Banks. LOST

I think you need a Citi account to get over 1000 pesos out but I could be wrong. But yes, I can take up to 3000 out at a time with my Citi card in a Citibank

And as mentioned, unless you have a local account here (and a dollar account at that), you won't ever be able to get dollars out.

The local banks put limits on your activity, but you can take out money from different atms up to your real banks limits. and US Dollars, I've tried every bank in town and they all say I can't do that transaction, it's their rules not my banks.

citygirl said:
I think you need a Citi account to get over 1000 pesos out but I could be wrong. But yes, I can take up to 3000 out at a time with my Citi card in a Citibank

I can only get 2500. But I have HSBC. It's ridiculous that it's more economical for me to get money out here at a bank other than my own.

the santander on callao and guido (?) uses your banks limit.
as well as the copafin (? the green logo) on callao between arenales and Juncal.

I'll check the exact address if you want.

Reactions: tez
FOR COLONIA RUNNERS:

In Uruguay you can get dollars from US accounts. The problem is that their ATMs date back to the Pleistocene: they are incredibly slow, and spit out dollars at a hundred dollars a pop, with a three dollar fee. After each foreign withdrawal the ATM goes offline for about five minutes.

Between transactions you must withdraw your card and wait for the machine to clank back into action. By that time there's a long line of Uruguayans waiting to use the line, all with their children and grandparents in tow, all glaring at you.

It's not worth it.

I read about this before i left the US.... So I opened three accounts at separate banks. Happily enough...my two new accounts refund foreign ATM network fees.

LJ2 said:
I read about this before i left the US.... So I opened three accounts at separate banks. Happily enough...my two new accounts refund foreign ATM network fees.
For the benifit of other readers you should be specific and say which two banks refund ATM fees.

bradlik said:
Hi Guys,

I am looking for clarification on ATM fees here and limits of withdrawals. The forum states you can withdraw ARS$1000 at a time. i seem to only be able to withdraw ARS$950 at a time?

I'm only using Citi and the max amount it allows me to withdraw at a time is 4.000 pesos. A few years ago, when the ATM thing was crazy in Buenos Aires, I did ask my bank about a daily limit, but it's way above the 1000 dollars per transaction that Citi allows me now (and no, that limit hasn't changed, I've double checked recently). I too had read the forum threads about withdrawal limits, but no later than last week I went to withdraw at CitiBank and the ATM gave me a pretty clear message> Only 4.000 pesos per transaction. I had to withdraw a couple of times consecutively.
Ah, and City charges me almost 16 pesos for every withdrawal, no matter the amount. Try adding to that whatever fees your bank might have for external withdrawals.

PhilipDT said:
I can only get 2500. But I have HSBC. It's ridiculous that it's more economical for me to get money out here at a bank other than my own.

Can we all have a bit of a reality check here? 2500 pesos is a monthly salary for at least 30% of the workforce en blanco...do you know of any country in the world that lets you extract a full monthly salary in one go from an ATM?

I have alreday posted on my own experience re fluctuating ATM withdrawal fees so I wont repeat myself but just want to ensure we stay in touch with where we live lest any Argentine member will think we all earn 20k pesos a month and that 2500 is small change..which it isnt for me at least...:(

I spoke to the bank officer to clarify this situation two years ago for bank accounts opened in Argentina. The limit to withdraw from the ATM is decided by you telling to your bank officer, from the branch where you opened the bank account. It can be more than $1000 argentinian pesos per day. In the other hand, you can withdraw from any cashier of your bank ( I mean different branches) up to $3000 per day, and with no limit from the bank where you opened the bank account.

Regarding american dollars, if you have a bank account opened in Argentina, you can open another one in dollars, it can be a savings account, and it costs around U$S 5 per month of maintenance. In that case, you can withdraw dollars.

Back