ATM Limits?

Sleuth

Registered
Has anyone found an ATM that allows them to take out more than $1000 at a time? Also, is the $2500 peso per day limit set by your local bank or a limit for Argentina?

I hit a total of U$S 120 in refunded ATM fees from Charles Schwab bank last month and am wondering if they might ever consider canceling my account as I assume I'm creating a loss for them.

Thanks.

I think the daily limit is set by your bank. When I called Schwab to inform them that I would be in Argentina, they told me that if I ever needed to raise my daily limit to withdraw more they would permit it.

As far as the limit per transaction, isn't that set by the company that facilitates the transaction (Link, Banelco, etc.?)?

Citibank used to have a limit of 3k, but they took off that limit a few months ago.

Although last month they started charging me ATM fees for the first time. Jerks.

I have HSBC (UK account) and can take out around $6000 pesos a day, but I have to make several extractions.

Your daily limit is set by your bank...
The 300pesos per transaction (even when you leave your card in the machine)... is pure Argentine ingenuity.

I have citibank.....can someone please explain to me why I'm only able to take out AR750 or US$195-196 per day?! In June I was able to take out about US$1000 doing several different transactions. Was only able to do it once. Since then taking out money has been a nightmare as I have to do it over several days. Any suggestions fellow citibank folks? Am I going to the wrong branches? I've been to three.

It's no longer AR$300 per transaction anymore. I can withdraw AR$1000 from all the ATMs I've tried.
I don't know about daily limit but I guess it has to be your home country bank account. You can call and check with them. It might be smoother if you inform them that you are in Argentina for some period of time and mind them about it.

I've been having problems with Citi as well lately - the max seems to be $2500 pesos now (which is well below my daily withdrawal limit set by Citi).

Edited to say I have to go to Citi tomorrow again so I'll check and update.

Regular ATMs it seems to be 1000 per day.

bradlyhale said:
I think the daily limit is set by your bank.

My daily limit NZ$2000 (US$1450), but here i was only able to take out 300 peso. In belgium the most i could take out 600 euros from some ATMS, around NZ$1200.
In aus i could take out the the full amount equal to NZ$2000. So i would say its a combination of both the ATM you use and your own limit, but here is has always been the limit imposed by the cental bank/local banks.

I few years back (jan or feb 2007), the central bank imposed a 100 peso per transaction limit for a couple of week on foreign ATMS cards.. You can imagine how that was !!!

Back