ATM withdraw limits

I have the same problem. Here is the deal....I called my bank in the U.S. and told them of the situation. Only 300 pesos at a time with the $5.00 surcharge. Its a joke!! Well my bank told me they have several complaints from Americans in Argentina with the same problem. The banks here say its your cucard as their excuse. My bank says they are investigating banks doing business in Argentina as they are violating international banking laws. Big surprise...Until this is corrected and processed thru the law (if ever) my easiest solution is to just go to American Express once a month and write a personal check for the amount of money I need for the month and use my cucard sparingly for emergencies. My bank is also issuing me a Visa check card which hopefully will work up to $400US a day. Good luck and welcome to Argentina.

"donquixote" said:
With ATM withdrawals so high and unreliable. Arriving with a large sum of cash to cover expenses is an option. I understand that I can arrive with $10,00 US cash. Is there a way to store that amount of cash safely? Is it advisable?
Saludos, Carl
Depends on where you live and your ability to keep your mouth shut.
I normally have around 2000 dollar/euro in my home in case something happens

Thanks rmartinbuenosaires,

I had a feeling it was the banks getting greedy. I am sure that with enough complaints from tourists they will change it since so much of the economy depends on tourism. I talked to as friend last night from BA who also lived in NYC for a while and she said that Citibank only charges her a dollar or two with no 5 dollar fee. I will check it out when I get back. I was just wondering if anybody knew of a way to get around it.

Has anyone had experience using PayPal in BsAs? I have heard that it is a way of receiving money without the large fees.
Carl

"gregbrophy" said:
Thanks rmartinbuenosaires,

I had a feeling it was the banks getting greedy. I am sure that with enough complaints from tourists they will change it since so much of the economy depends on tourism. I talked to as friend last night from BA who also lived in NYC for a while and she said that Citibank only charges her a dollar or two with no 5 dollar fee. I will check it out when I get back. I was just wondering if anybody knew of a way to get around it.

Taking 10.000 dollars with you when you arrive

hello dear friends,

I too am very pissed of with this 300 withdrawal limit.
I belive that this limit is yet one more scam by the "lets take the piss out of the Gringo's" movement.
I called visa Argentina about this saying I think they are breaking the law or at least agreement with visa clients. The reply was that they can do what they want.
You may think that this limit also affects the Argentines but the point is this. I bet all of us here live by our ATM withdrawals. We pay rent, maids and other goods with cash.
How many Argentines draw more than 300 pesos per day?
no this operation is to scam US!

I have similar problems with other visa operations such as shopping. Whenever I use the local EASY store (ha ha thats a joke!) I have to go through the whole "lets check to see if she is a criminal" process. So to spend about 400 pesos they tell me that they need "authorisation from Visa Argentina" they then go through this whole humiliating telephone conversation with Visa, checking my bank address in the UK, checking my billing address in London, my passport, blah blah blah, then as in many cases if for a large amount they call my bank in London who then get allarmed and as a result put a block on my card until I then have to leave the store without my goods and call london to tell them it was my purchase that caused all the trouble. Then I have to go back to the store and payment would be made for my paltry purchase. Often if I am feeling PMT I tell them all to **C* off and leave in a very bad mood, without my goods.
While on this subject I would like to deviate a bit because this is related.
I have lived here for 5 years. I am married to an Argentine and I have children also living here on British passports.
IF I want to travel domestically (flights) I have to pay more than double of what my husband does because I am british.
Thats also the case for hotels, theatre tickets and even the Sheraton of Pilar offers special weekend rates etc but only for Argentine nationals. This discrimination is illegal and I will tell you why.

A while back I read some of the Argentine constitution bill. (that just shows you how bored I am!)
Within that bill and correct me if I am wrong there is a clause thats states words to the effect of:
All foreign nationals shall have the same rights as Argentine nationals. So I think we need to investigate this contstant discrimination on the economic field and if I am right which I suspect I am, they are breaking their own constitutional laws.
I would love to further this and get a big group of us together and take the bastards to court if only to make a point..............and get our ATM costs down haha

Any takers?

regards

After my previous mail I decided to check out the clause I mentioned that proves that Argentines are constantly breaking the law. Even large organisations like domestic airlines and Sheraton Hotel's (Starwood Group), by making surcharges because we are foreign nationals.
Here is the clause from the "Contitucion Argentina" which I think proves my case that these surcharges for foreigners are illegal:
Artículo 20. Los extranjeros gozan en el territorio de la Nación de todos los derechos civiles del ciudadano; pueden ejercer su industria, comercio y profesión; poseer bienes raíces, comprarlos y enajenarlos; navegar los ríos y costas; ejercer libremente su culto; testar y casarse conforme a las leyes. No están obligados a admitir la ciudadanía, ni pagar contribuciones forzosas extraordinarias. Obtienen nacionalización residiendo dos años continuos en la Nación; pero la autoridad puede acortar este término a favor del que lo solicite alegando y probando servicios a la República.

NOTE: NI PAGAR CONTRIBUCIONES FORZOSAS EXTRAORDINARIAS

I rest my case
But I really would like to take this much further,
Maybe a public demonsrtration would be a good start. As a journalist/TV producer I would be very happy to organise something if I thought I had others that were interested enough to back up and make a noise.

regards to all

"auntieapple" said:
NI PAGAR CONTRIBUCIONES FORZOSAS EXTRAORDINARIAS
I rest my case
I think "contribuciones forzosas extraordinarias" in this context refers to taxes, not to ordinary expenses. Besides I believe it is fair when state-subsidized airline, for example, has a two-tier pricing for people who pay taxes and people who don't pay taxes.

While living here for 5 years and permanently suffering from this terrible injustice, has an idea to apply for a residency ever crossed your mind? Look at it this way: you have been granted a privilege to live in this country. Enjoy your stay :)

Actually granada is cool, I have no intention of cashing in and filling my pockets sweetie, I already earn enough money from several major international networks. I dont make little programs about demonstrations. My point was I am prepared to push the buttons so that I would get anyone wanting to make a noise the coverage needed for it to be effective in the media. So it seems that you yet again jump to conclusions without using your brain.

Back