Attacked in a "posh" bar called Mute in Las Canitas

I read the OP and cringed as I hoped he'd regret the most vitriolic parts of his posts as he quickly did. Beyond that you could sense his sense of despair and helplessness and outrage which has beset many longterm expats here I'm sure. Who wouldnt when the police showed little regard for what sounds like a very violent assault. Had they empathized and taken action his feelings may have been very different. Life in Bsas sometimes reminds me of the movie Invasion of the Body Snatchers..everyone is wandering around looking the same on the outside but deep down there's differences and when they find out you're not one of them...well imagine the Donald Sutherland stare and scream in the closing scene. Sorry showing my age but a classic movie.
Lost I wish you good health and happiness. It takes a big person to apologise.

fifs2 said:
well imagine the Donald Sutherland stare and scream in the closing scene. Sorry showing my age but a classic movie.

invasion23.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEStsLJZhzo

There you go.

Yes..not all Argentinians are bad.. that being said...when most BA locals don't trust each other..most thinking the other has some kind of angle.. to extort money, rob you, hit on your wife/girlfriend.etc etc etc.. being very reluctant to let an outsider in..just the basic trust.. seemingly non existent. When the OP gets hit over the head with a bottle in a full bar... how many "men" did you find to stop the assailant? Not one!!! What does that say about a society?

Wait, there was a bar-fight and I missed it? Damn, always late!

I understand your vent. Thanks for the retraction. Hope you mend fast. Women love men with scars.

GS_Dirtboy said:
I understand your vent. Thanks for the retraction. Hope you mend fast. Women love men with scars.

I think you missed more than just the description of the bar fight. :D

Sorry to hear about your experience and as someone who is human, when I was held up by gunmen in my Palermo Soho loft and had practically everything I owned stolen a few months ago, I too was thinking some pretty harsh things about BA and the people, especially since in my 30 years I have lived in "dangerous" cities on 3 continents and where the MOST, heck really the ONLY crime that ever occurred to me first hand happened in my 2 and a half years in BA! I also believe it says a lot that the very porteños themselves are quite distrusting of people and of things in general, this foments a very unhealthy attitude in life. Also, I have never seen so much insecurity than in BA. Left and right, when I would meet couples EVERY SINGLE TIME the man thought I was hitting on his female partner. The same holds true with jobs.

YanquiGallego said:
. The same holds true with jobs.

Funny you should say that but workwise all I heard the 1st year I was here was how open I was at sharing my knowledge and experience..I have trained over 300 PMs at various training courses I gave in Bsas and Cordoba - the general feeling conveyed to me is/was that you keep your knowledge close to you or else you risk losing your position and power. It is such a foreign concept to me - I am not in my position because of what I know but because of my abilities..what I know is neither here nor there. How cultures collide. I haven't changed and our employees share a culture of open communication and knowledge sharing.

Well Fifs2 just proved that not all BsAs locals are asses... 300 were trained not to be :p

Back