Attacked in a "posh" bar called Mute in Las Canitas

I am pretty sure the cops in Argentina are just like Argentine girls........they serve a visual purpose. IE the girls are beautiful but impossible to pick up. The cops post themselves and look intimidating, but dont actually do anything beyond that. Very statuesque.

Cordobese said:
I am pretty sure the cops in Argentina are just like Argentine girls........they serve a visual purpose. IE the girls are beautiful but impossible to pick up.

Not if you have a scar!

This post is so horrible, i did not read something like this in a long time, and i am really shocked. And even if this was written in the heat of the moment, i strongly believe that although this happens to you- if you have a content soul and a good heart you could never come up with these ideas and words. I am also shocked about some of the other posts, just being sorry for what happened and not being shocked about the rest of the post.

First of all, I do not know this bar, type of people that frequent there and I am in another country now. So I may be wrong but there are some aspects to this story that do not make sense.

Here is the situation as I understand it:

Like me, you are also gay. You had a good month at work and want to go out and celebrate. You go alone to upscale straight bar, sit at counter and order expensive champagne. Then you realize some company would be nice to, so you turn to a straight couple, start a conversation possibly about your good fortune and offer to share the bottle.

Please indulge me but the whole dynamics is just not right. Maybe it is mitigated by the already consumed alcohol but this is not how healthy social interaction flows, particularly gay-straight social interaction.

At some point the conversation goes south and an argument arises. As a result, the straight male gets visual permission from the straight female to escalate the conflict. He grabs the bottle and hits you over the head. The honor is recovered but the conflict is not finished. The straight male reaches for your wallet as you lay incapacitated and the female observes. He would have to justify it in some way as he wants to be seen as super macho and not like common thief. "Honey, I just need a souvenir of this well spent evening" ... not likely.

Clearly none of it is a justification for assault and I feel bad for you.

However it appears that you have lived in BA for some time and developed some sense of acceptable behavior. Obviously you must have done something to trigger the confrontation and once it started, you did not find an acceptable way out of it. You should take responsibility for that part.

I respectfully suggest you take care of your wounds and move on without anger. Your comments about whole Argentine nation are totally uncalled for and are not justified by your injury.

If I didn't live in Argentina for almost a decade and I heard the OP's story, I wouldn't have believed it. In fact, you tell me the same story in pretty much any other civilized country in the world, and I'd say the OP was either leaving out a big part of the story, partly at fault or being rude, etc.

Honestly, in this case I don't think that. Why? Because I've lived in Argentina so long and seen first hand VERY strange behavior by the locals.

I have tons and tons of first hand accounts. Another 100% true story is from a bit more than 2 years ago. I had a very good and trusted employee that came into work all black and blue. Literally. His head and eyes were all bruised up VERY badly.

I asked him what in the world happened! Keep in mind this guy is a very educated, docile and polite guy. I'd never so much seen him raise his voice or lose his cool in the 4 years I had known him. I'd seen him in many social settings as well as work. Very mild mannered guy.

He recounted the story of the friday before coming in to work on Monday. He was very tired driving home. He momentarily lost control of the car and had a very minor accident where he scraped a car parked on the street. He immediately stopped and was checking out the damage and to also leave a note with his insurance company (this is the type of guy this is).

All of a sudden, the owner of the car came out to the street. My employee explained to him it was just an accident, he had full insurance and he admitted to being responsible for it. The guy went back in his house and he got a bat! He hit my employee several times as well as punched him. My friend called the police and eventually an ambulance had to come to the scene and he had to go to the hospital.

But before leaving he assumed the police would take this guy to jail. NOTHING happened to this guy. The police just took a statement and nothing happened to this guy that beat my friend. I believe my friend did try to take some legal action but it's been 2 years and I don't believe anything ever happened to this guy.

My point being the judicial system does NOT work in Argentina. And the other point is crazy stuff like this DOES happen.

Again, anywhere else I'd dismiss the story or blame the OP with exaggerating... But not in Argentina....

I`m very sorry to hear what happened. These type of things happen here. Argentina gives you a sort of freedom which may be enjoyable on one side, but may show its sick face on the other. It just is like that and there is no excuse for it. It is part of the factors which limit the development (mentally and economically) in this country.

I'm also very sorry to hear what happened to you on a night where you were celebrating and trying to do something nice. A lot of people on here giving you sh*t for your initial rant, for me, totally understandable. I know a lot of argies but am maybe only good friends with a couple, and those couple tell me regularly that they really think they were born to the wrong culture, they want to leave and they feel outsiders in their own country. Why? Because my friends are good people, and they hate the lack of respect their fellow argentines have for their neighbours, porteno or extranjero. Personally I am relieved to be getting out. It's been an adventure but I feel increasingly uneasy and unsafe.

RachinBA said:
I'm also very sorry to hear what happened to you on a night where you were celebrating and trying to do something nice. A lot of people on here giving you sh*t for your initial rant, for me, totally understandable. I know a lot of argies but am maybe only good friends with a couple, and those couple tell me regularly that they really think they were born to the wrong culture, they want to leave and they feel outsiders in their own country. Why? Because my friends are good people, and they hate the lack of respect their fellow argentines have for their neighbours, porteno or extranjero. Personally I am relieved to be getting out. It's been an adventure but I feel increasingly uneasy and unsafe.

I feel this way and I know other Argentines who feel exactly like this.

Maybe the cause of the attack was that the GIRL thought that the Gay Dude was hitting on her boyfriend and she told him that if he didn't prove that he was a real man then she was going to leave him and tell all his buddies he's gay.

After all the Portenas are notoriously jealous...

Back