Ba Vs Medellin As An Expat Destination

Joe

Registered
I've been in Medellin for a couple of weeks and here is my comparison with BA. This is from the perspective of a retired (i.e. not-working) lifestyle.

Medellin is known as the City of Eternal Spring. The temperature remains constant throughout the year because of the elevation and being near the equator. For me it's a little warm but I think most people would find it perfect.

The major Pro is that the food is the best I've had in Latin America. I was expecting it to be similar to Ecuador and it is but with better quality and more culinary finesse. The restaurants I have been to, I've been pleasantly surprised by the quality 80 percent of the time - the inverse of BA. Also I estimate the food is about 25% cheaper in restaurants than BA.

The Parque Lleras entertainment area in Poblado packed with interesting restaurants, shops, bars and hotels.

Another Pro is the price of electronics (not sure about other goods but I expect they are also priced comparatively). I estimate the premium on US prices is 15 to 25%, which makes them cheaper than anywhere else I've been to in South America. For example a bargain basement unlocked, no-contract Android phone can be had for about $50 in the US, in Medellin around $65, in BA at least $100.

The selection of electronics is much better in Medellin than in BA, for example if you are shopping for a notebook in BA you might feel, like I do, that I am in in a Dell museum of notebooks from the 90's - that is zero styling, heavy and totally unappealing. Although there isn't the selection of the US, the notebooks in Medellin are up-to-date in appearance, weight and features.

One reason goods are relatively cheap in Colombia is that the country has engaged in free trade agreements with many countries. I've been able to buy a box of German (and Polish) made cookies for $3 on sale. Unfortunately I've been buying a lot of these...

On the negative, apartments are much more expensive - surprisingly expensive: twice the rent of Ecuador and 25 to 30% more than BA. No ideal why.

Yesterday I took the city tour and some parts of the city feel unsafe - and these are the highlights spots of the city tour. The Poblado neighborhood feels totally safe.

Medellin has no interesting architecture. Any colonial neighborhoods were long ago demolished.

I see Medellin as a great place to go for a vacation. Enjoy the food and do some shopping.

In January I will get out of the big city and visit the mountain towns with colonial architecture and coffee plantations.

Rents are higher everywhere

Rio, Sao Paulo, Lima, Santiago.
So Ecuador is the winner for cheap rents in South America.

When I was in Peru, I was able to get an nice apartment in Cusco for $300 about four years ago.

Cusco is a great vacation spot as well, highly recommended. Because it is on the backpackers circuit, there are dozens of interesting restaurants within a five minute walk of Plaza Armas.

Back