Ba Vs Medellin As An Expat Destination

Interesting report, Joe. I have to admit I chuckled at the amount of emphasis placed on food and electronics, but since you're coming from BA that makes perfect sense. But I notice you didn't say anything about the people! What do you think of the paisas?

As for the sketchiness, I bet it was the Plaza Botero, wasn't it? With all the sculptures? That whole area is...meh. Which is unfortunate, because there are a lot of great cultural and historical attractions right around there. My husband and I got followed for two blocks by a desperate (and very, uh, energetic) crackhead trying to leave the Plaza Botero. And even if that hadn't happened, it was just not a place where I felt secure. They have cops in the plaza, which helps, but outside the plaza, not so much. Taking the teleférico up to the market and back down over the slums, on the other hand, was a delightful and tranquil experience.

I think the beautiful mountain views and plants make up for the lack of interesting architecture. I love plants, though, so I probably pay more attention to landscaping and trees and stuff stuff than the average person. My husband took me around the campus of the Universidad de Antioquia, where he went to school, and I kept stopping to take pictures of the gorgeous orchids and birds of paradise everywhere. I really enjoyed the botanical garden as well. One day I'll make it to the yearly flower festival!

Rent is really expensive all over Colombia (at least for furnished apartments in the cities). It's pretty ridiculous. And if you don't get a furnished place, you need TWO garantías. On the bright side, all the crazy crap that happens in Buenos Aires (gas getting shut off for months at a time, legal action constantly threatened/having to make threats, humidity problems, extremely rude/noisy neighbors, power outages, etc.) is pretty uncommon. Respecting your neighbors is a big deal. Administration will put signs up in the elevators reminding you to control your dog/child, to refrain from wearing high heels to early or too late because they make noise, letting you know they will be shutting the water off for repairs between X and Y o'clock two days from now, etc. Completely different culture when it comes to that stuff. And if there is a problem, a simple call down to the doorman to complain (politely--no need to yell) usually takes care of it. For some expats, all of this may be worth paying U.S. $1000+ per month for a small one bedroom in a decent area.

Have fun in the mountain towns! Hope you report back.
Yes exactly Plaza Botero had a very bad vibe for me and I've traveled to some very poor countries. The closest experience is downtown LA and the Warehouse District (Skid Row) where I used to work and a little like Boca - places unique in that even in the daytime it feels unsafe. Places I would never go at night - well not alone anyway.

As far as the emphasis on food and electronics - that is not because of BA - food and gadgets are some of my primary interests. Gadget loving foodie.

As far as the people, they are less rude than BA. IMO, Argentina is an outlier in regard to rudeness - and not in a good way. Although China is even worse. Canada and Japan are on the other end of the spectrum - again IMHO. Canadians and Japanese are polite. Not super friendly but polite. From my experience Peruanos are the friendliest folks in LATAM. Colombians would come second.

Great report.

Can you please compare chicas and opportunities with chicas, for single lonely men.

BA versus Medellin?

I am only interested in that.

Ah those were the days. Married now which is awsome well sorta! B)

Reactions: Joe
I call it "Peso-nality"

LOL Yeah no doubt about it, some not all women are attracted to money the same goes for potential friends and just about everyone else. The key words are "Not All "and the objective is finding the ones in the "Not All' category. But if you really do think about it how important are good looks? I used put about 5% to 10% of my concideration concerning a women in the looks category. I kinda figured you might spend 5% to 10% of your time involved intimacy if even that much. But the other 90% of the time is going be the working through the daily aspects of life and getting along. Speaking for myself I am far more concerned with the daily of aspects of life and getting along, those two things are hard enough as it is.

I also noticed over the years that some not all beautiful women tend to come packaged with a fair amount of drama and other issues. In which case your paying a higher price than just your wallet for the benefits if you want to call them that. You have to handle them with your wallet and tolerate the drama while your working through the daily aspects of life and getting along. Speaking for myself I hate drama no matter how beautiful the package looks.

BA is the outlier Joe and not Argentina. You don't get the same rude treatment in other parts of Argentina. In the same way you don't get the same rude treatment in the US outside of NY, London or Paris etc etc. Even in Ireland you'll get a warmer reception outside of Dublin. BA does rate highly on the rude-o-meter, but in my experience is not an outlier in the big city scale. I'm sure the residents of NY are going to tell me that it doesn't compare but I can only go on personal experience.

For me the rudest place I have ever been to is Paris, hands down.

I've lived in Medellin for a year and BA a total of 9 months. I personally prefer Medellin but mostly for the warm weather, the food and the friendly people.
Medellin is however being discovered by the wealthy older man looking for sex or a hot young girlfriend. The women are certainly hot but it is slowly getting a Thailand feel with old men walking around hand in hand with 18 year old girls.
I saw an American guy in McDonald's in Medellin (looked late 60's) trying to order something without a word of Spanish and then return to his date who looked 18 and as they were leaving and he gave his little flower a big kiss on the lips I nearly got sick. I wanted to yell out.... quien es, tu abuelo? But I had to fight the urge. I guess they are both getting what they want but it's still gross.
Medellin has also become very very expensive. Apartments yes but also supermarket and clothes are more expensive than you would think. Not cheap at all.
Safety is an issue but not in Poblado. You must also be very careful about where you travel outside the city. I was about to take a trip to Yarumal and maybe some villages around it. A taxi driver told me if I went there it would be about 50/50 I would make it out without being kidnapped. You'll make it in alright but they'll all know you are there and making it out along the road there may just be a roadblock.
I asked about 10 other people and they all confirmed that I would be crazy to go. So if you go to Medellin stay in the city or in the safe zones, Santa Fe de Antioquia is a common retreat out of the city.

Yes exactly Plaza Botero had a very bad vibe for me and I've traveled to some very poor countries. The closest experience is downtown LA and the Warehouse District (Skid Row) where I used to work and a little like Boca - places unique in that even in the daytime it feels unsafe. Places I would never go at night - well not alone anyway.

As far as the emphasis on food and electronics - that is not because of BA - food and gadgets are some of my primary interests. Gadget loving foodie.

As far as the people, they are less rude than BA. IMO, Argentina is an outlier in regard to rudeness - and not in a good way. Although China is even worse. Canada and Japan are on the other end of the spectrum - again IMHO. Canadians and Japanese are polite. Not super friendly but polite. From my experience Peruanos are the friendliest folks in LATAM. Colombians would come second.

How does the Medellin Fugazzetta compare to the Bs.As. one ??? :rolleyes: BTW the Cartel is still operating?

I saw an American guy return to his date who looked 18 and as they were leaving and he gave his little flower a big kiss on the lips I nearly got sick.I guess they are both getting what they want but it's still gross.

Nothing gross about it.

When I am 70 years old and if single, I would probably too be roaming around with nice 26-27 year old chicas ( i never liked 18 year olds even when I was 18 myself)

Back