Backpacking Argentina To The Usa

Don't forget Cafayate in addition to all other Salta-region visits already mentioned. Salta is awesome!! Then in Bolivia you'll want Tupiza-Sucre-Uyuni (or start in Sucre then backtrack to Tupiza to do a 1-way trip through the complete Uyuni salt flat tour and end up in Uyuni where you can take a bus - pick the fanciest one! to La Paz). Then from La Paz get a flight package to Rurrenabaque for a Pampas tour if you like the jungle, and if the season is right. Otherwise you have similar jungle visits in northern Peru. Don't miss Copacabana Bolivia (+ day trip or overnight stay on Isla del Sol - again, if the season is right) and then Machu Picchu of course.... Lima is the furthest I've got but I have some recs from friends on Ecuador and Colombia, if u want them just private message me and i'll give you the info I've gotten from people who have been there!! And for Colombia-Panama why not make the connection via a tour of the San Blas Islands!!! ;)

When Eastern Airlines died in the early 90s I lost my dream job as a senior captain flying all over latin america. I know all those countries that you will pass through well. I flew in and out of them all many times without exception. When I lost my job I wanted to retire to Argentina.... a country that I had come to know and love notwithstanding a few bumps in the road that I don't need to mention here.
My wife and I decided on Mexico as a latin alternative and have lived here for the past twenty years. We built and to this day operate a bed and breakfast on one of the worlds most beautiful beaches between the ports of Puerta Vallarta and Manzanillo on the Pacific coast. It is true that Mexico City is world class....an exceptional city and one that I grew to admire and wished my beloved Buenos Aires was more like. I think my fellow pilot GS was only trying to steer our backpacking friend through a less populated route across
Mexico. Don't believe everything you read about Mexico....it is a wonderful country with very loving, caring people for the most part and the chances that you will make it to the USA without being decapitated are excellent!
If you pass our way on your journey...please stop by for a hot shower and a beer or two. I want to hear all about the journey that I wish I had the huevos to do with you. You can contact us at coconutsbythesea.com
Oh.....and on your way out of Argentina if you run into a drop dead gorgeous ex Eastern Airlines flight attendant by the name of Pia Parada please give her a hug from her old captain. The best flight attendant ever!

I spent a year in Mexico during June of 2006 on my motorcycle. I say a year not because it was bad, but because I had such a great time. I seriously almost never left. The people are fantastic, the food is to die for, and the country is gorgeous. I just really didn't like Mexico City much, that's all. Compared to the rest of the country it would be on the bottom of my list. Get off the main roads, get into the areas less traveled and the people welcome you like you are family. I'd retire to the coast in a heart beat.

Thank you all for your suggestions, I am taking everything into consideration, and writing it all down. When i hit Mexico i will just have to take you up for that hot shower and beer Piaprada. Keep the suggestions coming! i am loving all the info

I spent a year in Mexico during June of 2006 on my motorcycle. I say a year not because it was bad, but because I had such a great time. I seriously almost never left. The people are fantastic, the food is to die for, and the country is gorgeous.
Agree 100%. People are so friendly and welcoming. Food is great and often inexpensive. 2006 also explains why you had a good time in Chihuahua - the situation deteriorated in those border states since then.

Try to find time to visit Caye Caulker Island in Belize.The "material Girl"" would have you visit its sister island San Pedro but I disagree with her.
Mexico City is safe and unsafe. Stay away from Plaza Garibaldi if you are travelling alone,that is go to see it but don't fall for the tourist cantinas. Piclkpockets are everywhere in the centre and the bit about the taxis is true.. However the metro is cheap and as safe as any metro anywhere. Visit the floating gardens of Xochimilco,the anthropology museum and visit Coyoacan.Further south give Xcaret park a chance.It is touristy but beautifully laid out and you get the chance to swim a cenote/underground river. Veracruz is gorgeous. I recommend a sleepy seaside town called Casitas,still off the tourist track if you don't count the hordes from Mexico city that invade on long weekends .Check your calender. I agree about the border . Don't even think about going to Ciudad juarez . Montererrey is fine. Maybe visit the Copper Canyon ?
Out of ideas...for now...

Try to find time to visit Caye Caulker Island in Belize.The "material Girl"" would have you visit its sister island San Pedro but I disagree with her.
Mexico City is safe and unsafe. Stay away from Plaza Garibaldi if you are travelling alone,that is go to see it but don't fall for the tourist cantinas. Piclkpockets are everywhere in the centre and the bit about the taxis is true.. However the metro is cheap and as safe as any metro anywhere. Visit the floating gardens of Xochimilco,the anthropology museum and visit Coyoacan.Further south give Xcaret park a chance.It is touristy but beautifully laid out and you get the chance to swim a cenote/underground river. Veracruz is gorgeous. I recommend a sleepy seaside town called Casitas,still off the tourist track if you don't count the hordes from Mexico city that invade on long weekends .Check your calender. I agree about the border . Don't even think about going to Ciudad juarez . Montererrey is fine. Maybe visit the Copper Canyon ?
Out of ideas...for now...
Has Monterrey become safer in recent months?

Unfortunately not only for blond haired - but in general has become very dangerous near the whole border. Ciudad Juarez is probably the most dangerous of the border towns but they all have become pretty ugly. Most stories of what really happens there do not make it into the news because reporters have to fear for their live if they write about it. Although there seems to be a some improvement since Peña Nieto took office - I would avoid the whole border region if possible. But most Mexicans are pretty nice people and almost always try to help foreigners. So if you get closer to the border just ask them and they will tell what roads are safe and what places to avoid. Just don't ask the guys with the black trucks with tinted windows and no license plates ;)

Sorry, but you're so wrong here. The ONLY people who think that Mexico is more dangerous than many other parts of the world are people who only get their information from the news and have never experienced it.

Pick a country, any country...including the USA. You can have 99 great things happen on a given day and only one terrible thing happen and guess what makes the news.

The most dangerous country in central America is Honduras . Don't forget Ecuador , nice place to visit.. Also , in Mexico , while the Pacific coast is lovely , the Caribbean coast is wonderful. Catch some Aztec ruins in Chizen Niza (sp) & Tolum . Merida is a lovely city. Cozumal has fabulous diving , and Isla Mujeres has some great beaches. The whole province of Quintana Roo is nice.

Agree with Aleina Dee , Caye Caulker in Belize is a great place.

Have fun !!

Sorry, but you're so wrong here. The ONLY people who think that Mexico is more dangerous than many other parts of the world are people who only get their information from the news and have never experienced it.

Pick a country, any country...including the USA. You can have 99 great things happen on a given day and only one terrible thing happen and guess what makes the news.
First of all I have lived several years in Mexico - in northern Mexico. I am talking about tings experienced there myself! I lived there before President Calderon started his war against the cartels and after when things became very very ugly - even in cities like Monterrey (I had lived one hour from Monterrey - in Zeta territory). I had to leave because it got too dangerous in the north. And it seems it got even more dangerous after I left in 2010 - at least from what friends that still live there have reported.
As it seems you weren't even able to read my post completely so let me repeat one thing: Most narco related stories don't even make it to the news because reporters that write about it will get killed by the narcos. So much for I am getting my information from the news and have not experienced it!

Back