Banks Accounts Being Frozen?

Joe said:
"One of the reasons I fear it may be too late is that instead of talking about fixing this crony capitalism, people, like the members here, blame the protesters and just tell them 'to get a job'."

Another post that pays lip service to the problem of crony capitalism but ends of devoting all it's energy to blaming the little guy.

We have a company like Goldman Sacks that only exists because the American taxpayer saved one of it's major counter-parties (AIG). Goldman Sacks would not exists today if AIG hadn't been bailed out to billions of dollars. And this very same company is paying out billions of dollars in bonuses. And before you say the money was all payed back - it wasn't. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/08/18/aig-bailout_n_930867.html This is a gigantic welfare scheme, crony capitalism. Your money to buy golden toilets for rich bankers.

But all we have time for is to blame Joe Six Pack because he got an English Lit degree instead of a Bus. Adm one. jeeez....

Your post provides a good example of why I am not on board with the OWS movement--lots of historonic blustering without a substantive solution other than "forgive everyone's debt" and screw the "man." Tiresome rhetoric.

dr__dawggy said:
Your post provides a good example of why I am not on board with the OWS movement--lots of historonic blustering without a substantive solution other than "forgive everyone's debt" and screw the "man." Tiresome rhetoric.

Its not the job of the public to formulate economic or social policy. They leave that to their elected representatives.

At the moment, OWS are doing a good job of reminding their elected representatives that they are failing in their obligation to represent their interests.

Most of America agrees with the core OWS positions.

http://swampland.time.com/full-results-of-oct-9-10-2011-time-poll/#ixzz1bA9GPfUj

Politicians may rely on corporate support to finance their campaigns, but they shouldn't forget that they work for the public.

Reactions: Joe
dr__dawggy said:

I find it amusing that the Main Stream Media jumped on the bandwagon of proclaiming that #OWS didn't have a coherent plan or platform. This is a nascent movement with many ordinary Joes and Janes and they are expected to have a coherent plan from the get-go.

At the same time you have established political parties that say they want to cut spending but when you ask them what programs they want to cut they can't give any details.

Another example of expecting the common man to play by very stringent rules but allowing the ones with the money, the education and the power to get a free ride.

The people are tired of the wealthy and powerful getting free rides.

Didn't this recently happen in the UK? In the name of 'terrorism', terrorist accounts were raided. Not just money but gold etc. Shocking.

Joe said:
I find it amusing that the Main Stream Media jumped on the bandwagon of proclaiming that #OWS didn't have a coherent plan or platform. This is a nascent movement with many ordinary Joes and Janes and they are expected to have a coherent plan from the get-go.

Social movements that do not develop a coherent plan are unsuccessful. Do they have to have a plan at the get go? No. Do they need to develop a statement of goals? Yup.

At the same time you have established political parties that say they want to cut spending but when you ask them what programs they want to cut they can't give any details.

I could not agree more. And when bipartisan plans are developed (The Gang of 6, for example) their ideas are quickly shot down by the absolutists in their own parties

Another example of expecting the common man to play by very stringent rules but allowing the ones with the money, the education and the power to get a free ride.

Insert roll eyes here. Common men and women from blue and pink collar backgrounds are not occupying Wall Street.

If by wealthy you mean super wealthy, then, I agree with you. But this still begs the question of what is to be done about it?

Joe said:

Among other things, they want the government to provide free (college) education and health care.

Joe said:

You obviously haven't been listening to Ron Paul.

Joe said:

Nonsense. The OWS are the ones who want the free ride. The wealthy and powerful pay most of the taxes but they really don't wield the power the way they did just a few years ago thanks to new regulations (Dodd-Frank). The Wall Street "players" donated far more money to Obama than McCain in 2008 and now they are not paying their fair share (in taxes)...according to their new leader...or should I say master.

The plantation isn't being run the way it used to be.

The whip has changed hands.

Bank of America with the OK of the Federal Reserve just announced that they were transferring billions of dollars in derivative risk into government insured accounts. This way derivative holders will get payed off with taxpayer money. Incredible. And you thought the bank bailouts were over!

http://www.washingtonsblog.com/2011...llars-of-losses-on-the-american-taxpayer.html

#OWS has responded:

We denounce Bank of America’s transfer of high risk derivatives to its federally insured accounts. This is yet another example of systemically dangerous institutions, big banks like BofA and JPM, once again attempting to shift potentially substantial losses onto the backs of hardworking Americans. The fact that the Federal Reserve supports this action demonstrates Ben Bernanke’s complicity and/or gross incompetence in supporting the Wall Street elite at the expense of tax paying citizens.

Some of the posters here will tell you that #OWS are just a bunch of Molotov Cocktail throwing crazed Marxist college dropouts carrying Mao's Little Red Book because that is what they see on Fox News, but if you actually look at video of the demonstrations you will see it is a cross section of American society.

steveinbsas said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe

Response

You obviously haven't been listening to Ron Paul.

So you feel that Ron Paul is the voice of the republican party? They treat him like a joke on Fox News. He really doesn't belong in the republican party based on his opinions about America's foreign policy blunders.

Is this really a serious response?

Do you really believe that Ron Paul speaks for the rest of the people in the republican party. He is the spokesman for what programs are to be cut?

Or did it just occur to you the gross hypocrisy of expecting OWS to have a defined agenda when the other parties haven't ever come out with one other than generalities "We will cut spending by 20% but just don't ask us what we will cut"

And your response is Ron Paul has such a plan.

Tell me, Steve, what is the likelihood that Ron Paul will be the republican candidate for president?

Back