Been here a month Now

Perry I'm familiar with some of the cities you mention in Peru, except for Tarapoto?
The only city worth mentioning is Arequipa..! Still comparing it with BA is like comparing Paris to Nice ..? (Nice is a great place)

In BA we have Calle Corrientes with all the Culture , Teatro Colon, Connectivity Arequipa is off the main flight lines. Restos here are international, Peruvian food is great but not very varied. Graduate Education in Arequipa ? Public Health in Arequipa..? Maybe housing is cheaper in Arequipa.

Still Arequipa compares well with other smaller cities in Argentina, where everything is cheaper but you don't have the Metropolitan cultural content. Maybe San Rafael, Mendoza
Arequipa is a very civilized city and has a rich history of folklore and the best food of Peru . Its wealthy suburbs of Cayma are imho nicer than zona norte buenos aires

Perry I'm familiar with some of the cities you mention in Peru, except for Tarapoto?
The only city worth mentioning is Arequipa..! Still comparing it with BA is like comparing Paris to Nice ..? (Nice is a great place)

In BA we have Calle Corrientes with all the Culture , Teatro Colon, Connectivity Arequipa is off the main flight lines. Restos here are international, Peruvian food is great but not very varied. Graduate Education in Arequipa ? Public Health in Arequipa..? Maybe housing is cheaper in Arequipa.

Still Arequipa compares well with other smaller cities in Argentina, where everything is cheaper but you don't have the Metropolitan cultural content. Maybe San Rafael, Mendoza
Rosario has a very good classical music scene

I'm not aware of any city in Latin America other than Buenos Aires that has the sophistication of Buenos Aires, certainly none that has the European style culture of BA. Montevideo and Santiago de Chile have a degree of it but not to the same extent. If you're not looking for a Latin American version of southern Europe, there may be other countries that have more to offer at possibly lower prices. I knew an Argentine who wanted to retire to Bolivia where he said he could afford to build a very nice home and hire people to do whatever he needed. His wife however refused to go. Sadly he died of a heart attack at a relatively young age. The business climate was horrible in Argentina and his company was struggling. I always thought it was the stress of doing business in Argentina that killed him.

Arequipa is a very civilized city and has a rich history of folklore and the best food of Peru . Its wealthy suburbs of Cayma are imho nicer than zona norte buenos aires
One shoe fits all? The words civilized, history,folklore, food and suburbs have different meanings for different folks..'?

One shoe fits all? The words civilized, history,folklore, food and suburbs have different meanings for different folks..'?
I think the appeal of BA is its 'Europeanness' at a much lower overall cost. Peru may appeal to some but I suspect not a lot of the expats on this site. As Argentina gets more expensive some expats may reconsider where to live.

USD $1,500 a month! I thought BA was supposed to be cheap!
That's a ridiculous price unless it is a 3 or 4 bedroom in a luxury tower.

I have never had any trouble finding solid 1 or 2 bedrooms, many of which are very beautiful, for less than $700 a month. My current place which is a very nice 20th floor refurbished furnished 1 bedroom with a balcony and lots of sunlight is $550 a month.

Airbnb is ridiculously overpriced but it is convenient. Even there however there are still options for $700-800 a month.

I think the appeal of BA is its 'Europeanness' at a much lower overall cost. Peru may appeal to some but I suspect not a lot of the expats on this site. As Argentina gets more expensive some expats may reconsider where to live.
I left the USA to get away from all its delightful multitribal "folklore." I'm not going to go looking for it here.

Owner of my apartment in Bajo Belgrano wanted $2500USD for a 2 bed apartment.

It’s a big 2 bed with dependencia but still!

That's a ridiculous price unless it is a 3 or 4 bedroom in a luxury tower.

I have never had any trouble finding solid 1 or 2 bedrooms, many of which are very beautiful, for less than $700 a month. My current place which is a very nice 20th floor refurbished furnished 1 bedroom with a balcony and lots of sunlight is $550 a month.

Airbnb is ridiculously overpriced but it is convenient. Even there however there are still options for $700-800 a month.
Do you have any sense of the rent-price relationship. For example, how much do you think the apartment you are re ring for $550 would sell for? Trying to decide if buying is a good investment

Back