Benefits Of Argentine Citizenship Vs. Permanent Residency

Everyone can have the utmost confidence, of course, that the current and future Argentine govts would never even consider violating constitutional protections.

True, but like I said, if it got to that point, I doubt I would want to be in Argentina anyways.

>Bajocero noted that having citizenship can keep you from getting deported, but I think if I was in a situation where I was about to be deported<

Same is if you have a US permanent residency card, the Homeland Security people at the inmmigration booth when non-US citizen enters the US territory either by Air or Land, the HS people can deport you without a cause,heard this from an acquitance working at the airport US inmmigration and the Homeland Security..
It saz, scanning any particular foreign passport, there can be any glitch showing in the PC screen then you are taken right into the interrogation room for validation if to let you in or,to deport you!
So if you are to stay in that country for long, it is better to get the citizenship instead of being content of just having the residency card..Once you acquire that citizenship status, you can not be deported period..

At present I honestly don't think they can do that here. Permanent residents under Argentine law have many more rights and protections than in the U.S. They can't deport you just because. Bajocero's comment had to do with if you were accused of a crime, or something like that. The likelihood of what you are talking about is slim to none.

It is TWO years! I checked with an expert immigration lawyer, so let's stop the rumors! Permanent Residents must return one time in two years and that can be for a 24 hour visit. Period.

Thanks Chris - have you found anything on migraciones or the like that says that? I haven't been able to find anything that spells it out clearly. I have asked a few people but they all told me different things .

I asked a very successful Argentine immigration lawyer who deals with these issues every day. I am satisfied with that. When I applied for Permanent Residence a number of years ago the system was chaotic. I was expecting written instructions but there were none. I don't think this has changed. If you want further confirmation, ask another immigration lawyer -- but one who REALLY deals with immigration and not just ANY lawyer. Anyway, even if it were to change, they wouldn't turn you away at the airport.

Ah, okay. I did originally ask a lawyer when I was starting the process and I was told once every 3 years. Then the next lawyer I asked told me at least once a year. Not an issue for me since I live here but I was curious if you had something in writing since it seems there were ambiguities (as there are with everything).

I'm a permanent res in Argentina. I was in the US 4 years and came back. Still valid. As a matter of fact I just got my new DNI card in the mail. Truthfully, I question their ability to accurately track how long one has been out of Argentina. Like everything else here "experiences may vary".

Be careful because it seems the discrepancies may have to do with your status? for example if you're married to an argentine or are argentine by birth the rules may favor longer absences away? Personally I would want to check the specifics for my category of residency (or is that an oxymoron of sorts?)

If the case goes to court and a judge orders your deportation, you would be deported for sure unless you got a highly competent lawyer to counter that.

The approach is wrong.
Citizenship is an option when you cannot get residency.
I developed this strategy to by pass the Immigration requirements.

If you have permanent residency, citizenship avoids deportation and by pass the restrictions on the land ownership land act that banns foreigners to own land with water close to the borderline (Patagonia).

There is no difference regarding tax. If you live 6 months per year you have duties no matter if you are a permanent resident or a citizen.

I'm a permanent res in Argentina. I was in the US 4 years and came back. Still valid. As a matter of fact I just got my new DNI card in the mail. Truthfully, I question their ability to accurately track how long one has been out of Argentina. Like everything else here "experiences may vary".

You mean this:

Looks very accurate for me.

You will have problems if you loose your DNI. You cannot do it again.
But, since 2015 the old DNI is not valid anymore, you have to do the new style (card) and they have expiration date. When it gets expired, you won t be able to renew it of you didn t respect the law about how many days you have to live here.

Back