Benefits Of Argentine Citizenship Vs. Permanent Residency

Well if I may add, it certainly depends on what passport you presently hold! Some friends from Iran were eager to get an Argentine Passport , considering the complexity of travelling abroad with an Iranian Passport . Same applies for Moldavia and Afghanistan, etc

Well if I may add, it certainly depends on what passport you presently hold! Some friends from Iran were eager to get an Argentine Passport , considering the complexity of travelling abroad with an Iranian Passport . Same applies for Moldavia and Afghanistan, etc

That goes without saying. But from reading this blog over the years I'd venture to guess the vast majority are from USA, Canada and UK. Or countries where their original passport is much more valuable vs. Argentina passport.

I don't think there's any problem leaving Argentina for however long you wish once you have your permanent residency and DNI
After becoming a permanent resident here I left Argentina for almost 25 years and when I came back I had no problems what so ever

Same - Renewed a 36-year-old tattered booklet DNI to the new card in three days, no questions. Incidentally, staff was pleasant and efficient, not at all the USA DMV (department of motor vehicles) experience. Rules can change quickly however.

Last edited:
Same - Renewed a 36-year-old tattered booklet DNI to the new card in three days, no questions. Incidentally, staff was pleasant and efficient, not at all the USA DMV (department of motor vehicles) experience. Rules can change quickly however.
How long ago did you renew your old booklet to the new card?

Supporting the original point...One word: Options. If you have the means to provide yourself with more options, why wouldn’t you?

Most people of those countries who are abroad are considered apostates, so, if there is something they do not want is to be deported to a muslim country.

The requirements for Permanent Residence could change. AT the moment i's one visit every two years. If they change it to require a longer stay citizenship could be a benefit. Of course there might be tax issues.,

Supporting the original point...One word: Options. If you have the means to provide yourself with more options, why wouldn’t you?

Options is the benefit, but it must be weighed against the cost. Citizenships come with costs and oftentimes those costs are not fully known over the life of the citizenship. And, sometimes citizenships / premanent residency reduces options, not increases options.

Using the original post as an example, the cost of a US citizenship is worldwide taxes no matter where you live and reduced access to bank accounts. In addition, I will add, a secondary set of global laws that must be followed even if you are not acting within the US. So, in this case, the additional passport removed options.

Back