Best country to move to when life in Argentina becomes intolerable

Refreshing to see Argentina's rich cultural offering celebrated here. We all benefit. The other darker side of the BA moonlight are the desperate conditions in some of the unfashionable barrios. Though these places are often summarised as 'dangerous' and delinquent or crime-ridden, my limited experience of visiting is that they are crowded with mostly decent, desperately struggling poor people whose cultural resources and expression turn on survival and collective (usually family) support. A lot of that culture is inevitably political - about the struggle to survive, evident in graffiti art. Hopefully its not over optimistic to say that it should help them get through the tormenta that is coming.
what about skid row in california? Detroit?
[/QUOTE]
What about them? Extremes of inequality and poverty exist in the USA, though with a large middle class. USA has strong race element. When I lived in Detroit a little while it was overwhelming a black core city. The people out at Deerborn asked me "You really got on a city bus to here? Wow. What was that like?" Took me a while to understand that one questioner had never ever ridden on a city bus because they were the preserve of blacks, very poor whites and the mentally unwell. as Motown it was white working class plus black immigrants. Its thankfully slowly regenerating.

of course it's easy! nobody wants to go there, cuz you'll probably get kidnapped abdthey will ask for rescue money! Oh, what a jolly experience!
what about skid row in california? Detroit?
What about them? Extremes of inequality and poverty exist in the USA, though with a large middle class. USA has strong race element. When I lived in Detroit a little while it was overwhelming a black core city. The people out at Deerborn asked me "You really got on a city bus to here? Wow. What was that like?" Took me a while to understand that one questioner had never ever ridden on a city bus because they were the preserve of blacks, very poor whites and the mentally unwell. as Motown it was white working class plus black immigrants. Its thankfully slowly regenerating.
[/QUOTE]
It's not only extremes. There is a large very low income middle class struggling to make ends meet. They're competing with very high housing rentals and end up living in their cars. I've never seen this in Buenos Aires or even in the province. Gated communities has provided lots of jobs and they settle down all around and even if its mostly an informal system they have jobs and so they do not have to travel either buses or cars although in pilar one of the top gated community apparently has allowed it after long discussions. I've heard expats bragging about not living in neighborhoods where there are buses cuz its a sympton of people with enough money to have a car and a home. I've nevet seen this in Bs As city or the province, not even in trailers .People living in cars? Of course you can get very cheap cars due to petrol inflation ,,motown dissapearing, Toyota taking over, cars made of plastic. most houses also are made of cheap artificial plasstic panelling and even so it's very difficult to get anything under 200 or 300 thoudand dls., etc etc a whole system falling down creating poverty lack of opt and jobs -its a country only for the very rich.Thats why they go to underdev eloped 7countriies to have affordable help, restaurants and taxis.But you can always cross to mexico and eat tacos instead of steaks like we do here. Asado is a tradition among construction workers.

I lived in LA for a long time, and went to skid row from time to time, with no kidnapping or rescue money. I used to go to Al's Bar to see bands like the Replacements... And I had my workshop in South Central for about 8 years- no problems with gangs, although it was clearly marked as Rolling 60s territory, in spray paint, on virtually every surface.
Certainly, there is violence and danger in LA, and in Villas in Buenos Aires- but for the average resident of either city, its pretty easy to learn where not to go, when. The biggest problems are usually easily avoided by not flashing rolexes and Iphones, and not trying to buy drugs.

I was referring to danger in DF mexico not LA
middle class has mortgages, credit card debts, health debts, kids college debts, what happens if they loose tbeir job? They have to move around USA looking for a job, children are left alone becaude both parents work and sometimes have to keep on studying so they can progress. Not only poor people have family support here, everybody does. Its part of the culture here. Better than relying on a teenager making out with her boyfriend and getting stoned.

Refreshing to see Argentina's rich cultural offering celebrated here. We all benefit. The other darker side of the BA moonlight are the desperate conditions in some of the unfashionable barrios. Though these places are often summarised as 'dangerous' and delinquent or crime-ridden, my limited experience of visiting is that they are crowded with mostly decent, desperately struggling poor people whose cultural resources and expression turn on survival and collective (usually family) support. A lot of that culture is inevitably political - about the struggle to survive, evident in graffiti art. Hopefully its not over optimistic to say that it should help them get through the tormenta that is coming.
You're absolutely correct about places like this in terms of being crowded and poor. However, the summary of these place as "dangerous" is also correct. I live close to Fuerte Apache (if I open my curtain right now I can see it) and spend some time in there to visit an extended family member. It is dangerous in there and something violent happens almost daily, it may not make the news but it happens. If you think these places are mischaracterized as crime ridden and dangerous (you admitted your experience is limited) I invite you to go and spend an hour standing around in Fuerte Apache, if you stand out you may be lucky to leave with no more than verbal abuse.

That said, you are correct that crime ridden and dangerous does not tell the whole story. There are indeed many people who just don't have the money to be anywhere else. And of course, all cities have areas like this. I come from Cardiff, a fairly placid city, but I could tell you places in that small city where you probably shouldn't go without knowing what you're doing.

No takers so far!

No one is going nowhere.

We must a happy bunch, but only letting steam all the time.

I think this thread could use a bump now.

I agree Steve . Many expats are thinking the same thing right now . My pick is Arequipa Peru a beautiful safe city with perfect weather great scenery and low cost of living . And the food is incredible

Back