Best Internet Service Provider in CABA?

I've been using Movistar fibra optica since November (they finally installed it in our building). Up to now, I've never had any problems or outages, and it always runs at full speed (and up speed is the same as down speed, it that is something that is important to you). It's available in most of this area.
Is it easy to arrange? I’m currently in an off airbnb rental arrangement and Fibertel has been especially bad this week and am only here until May in any case

Is it easy to arrange? I’m currently in an off airbnb rental arrangement and Fibertel has been especially bad this week and am only here until May in any case
Does the apartment have a linea fija? If it does and you know the number, you can probably determine if it's available for the apartment by going to the Movistar Argentina fibra optica web page and entering the number. If not, you'll have to call.

Once it was available for our building, they came a couple days after ordering the service, and installation took less than an hour. I have read that for some installations, they can deliver the modem and you do the installation yourself.

I'm not sure I would tell them that I was only going to be here until May.

Rich One,

Plans and speed tests are all measured in bits per second.

If you're running the test with a wired connection to your modem and getting less than 300Mbps, the network card in your PC is probably old. If you want the full speed that you're paying for you should upgrade your network card.

I have Movistar fibra optica service here in San Telmo, 300 Mbps up and down. I have my PC wired to the modem. I ran the test that you linked to and my results were 300 up, and 300 down.

Thank you for your comments ,

I guess many of us need to upgrade old network cards?
Several previous posts as well as mine show the measured download speed in Mbps to be a small fraction of the rated Mega Speed, and the upload speed to be almost half of the Upload.

Thank you for your comments ,

I guess many of us need to upgrade old network cards?
Several previous posts as well as mine show the measured download speed in Mbps to be a small fraction of the rated Mega Speed, and the upload speed to be almost half of the Upload.
Or, if you're happy with your internet speed, instead of buying a new network card, you can save some money by reducing the speed of your internet plan (although there isn't much difference in cost).

A lot of cellphones and tablets and cheaper/older laptops/desktops can't come close to 300Mbps. I just did a speed test with my cellphone and got 33 down/37 up. All the rest of that speed would be wasted if all I was using for internet was my cellphone.

I guess many of us need to upgrade old network cards? Several previous posts as well as mine show the measured download speed in Mbps to be a small fraction of the rated Mega Speed, and the upload speed to be almost half of the Upload.
Nope, this is a property of the connection. It is asymmetric for internet over cable TV. Your network card has nothing to do with it.

subida.png

Nope, this is a property of the connection. It is asymmetric for internet over cable TV. Your network card has nothing to do with it.

View attachment 8689
So you think that a 100 megabit card in your pc can magically transfer data at 300 megabits because of your ISP connection (just as a simple example)? Wow, that's amazing!

Care to explain why Rich One isn't getting his 300 Mbps? I can't wait to hear the explanation.

So you think that a 100 megabit card in your pc can magically transfer data at 300 megabits because of your ISP connection (just as a simple example)?
I believe that if the 100 Mbps card were limiting the connection speed, it would not provide 53.44 Mbps. But he is mostly complaining about the difference in upload and download speeds. And this is by design and reflected in the service description.

Last edited:
I believe that if the 100 Mbps card were limiting the connection speed, it would not provide 53.44 Mbps. But he is mostly complaining about the difference in upload and download speeds. And this is by design and reflected in the service description.
No i'm very aware of the difference in Dow/Up Load design speeds.
Thanks

Old hardware makes a difference. And network cards aren't the only bottleneck. Also myriad possible network software settings can cause problems. It's all right if you don't believe me. It doesn't make it less of a fact. It used to be my job to solve problems like this.

If you want to satisfy yourself, spend a couple hours googling with various searches such as, "only 50 megabits internet with old pc wired connection -wifi," and reading some of the millions of pages talking about the many problems that can cause this. You'll have to do some filtering and digging because 95% of the pages only talk about solutions to the common, obvious problems (like wifi interference).

Back