Best Internet Service Provider in CABA?

Old hardware makes a difference.
Is this Captain Obvious's wisdom, or is it something you learned during a one-week salespeople orientation at Best Buy?

If you want to satisfy yourself, spend a couple hours googling with various searches such as, "only 50 megabits internet with old pc wired connection -wifi," and reading some of the millions of pages ...
If you pretend to know the answer beforehand, a thoughtfully constructed Google search query can provide you with a wealth of supporting evidence.

As for Rich's problem, he just needs to resolve it in a standard manner: by requesting the Personal's technicians to come to his apartment and fix it.
I imagine they will pull out a jumble of wires, taped together with a masking tape, from somewhere inside the wall, and scream something like '¡Mira qué pelotudez!, ¿Quién hizo esto?' for a while. And then they will replace it and the problem will be resolved.

You can do a Google search to make sure that that's the way how it usually happens.

Last edited:
Is this Captain Obvious's wisdom, or is it something you learned during a one-week salespeople orientation at Best Buy?

If you pretend to know the answer beforehand, a thoughtfully constructed Google search query can provide you with a wealth of supporting evidence.

As for Rich's problem, he just needs to resolve it in a standard manner: by requesting the Personal's technicians to come to his apartment and fix it.
I imagine they will pull out a jumble of wires, taped together with a masking tape, from somewhere inside the wall, and scream something like '¡Mira qué pelotudez!, ¿Quién hizo esto?' for a while. And then they will replace it and the problem will be resolved.

You can do a Google search to make sure that that's the way how it usually happens.
I've noticed that you always have the answer to every question here. Occasionally it's even the correct one.

Feel free to continue being condescending. You really don't bother me in the least. I only responded here so people don't take your guesses as real answers to the problem.

Does the apartment have a linea fija? If it does and you know the number, you can probably determine if it's available for the apartment by going to the Movistar Argentina fibra optica web page and entering the number. If not, you'll have to call.

Once it was available for our building, they came a couple days after ordering the service, and installation took less than an hour. I have read that for some installations, they can deliver the modem and you do the installation yourself.

I'm not sure I would tell them that I was only going to be here until May.
I have no idea to be honest, and my Spanish simply isn’t sufficient to call. My internet is still out, so I’ll probably get in touch with the property owner if it’s still out tomorrow

I've noticed that you always have the answer to every question here. Occasionally it's even the correct one.

Feel free to continue being condescending. You really don't bother me in the least. I only responded here so people don't take your guesses as real answers to the problem.

As suggested by SanTelmo4ever I did a Google search " Internet Speed slow down in older equipment" and learned a number of measures to improve internet speed..

...and my Spanish simply isn’t sufficient to call...
This is still a problem for me, after all these years. I've been able to do face-to-face conversations and problem solving for a long time now, but I just can't do those things on the phone.

Sorry you're still having problems.

This is still a problem for me, after all these years. I've been able to do face-to-face conversations and problem solving for a long time now, but I just can't do those things on the phone.

I’ve only spent about 5 months in total in Argentina and work remotely so I don’t tend to have the daily interactions as much as I should to cultivate improving Spanish, in any case I always try to make an effort and reach for google translate when I hit a crossroad. It’s something I feel guilty about being in a country and not being adept with the language

Thanks all for your responses. As always, some spirited debate. Just a note on prices. I'm told by my mother-in-law that you need to be on top of these companies as they will overcharge you unless you call them regularly and ask for discounts and upgrades (and threaten to leave if required). Pirates, as she refers to them! They all have deals to lure new customers, but don't extend them to existing customers. In fact, you should probably change providers every 12 months (at the end of most contracts) to take advantage of the current deals. In our case, we've been with Telecentro for a few years and they are charging us just over 4000/month for a 150Mbps plan. New customers pay 2299/month for the same plan.

@earlyretirement you may want to get your property manager to call your ISP to renegotiate. 23,000 pesos/month seems like highway robbery, unless that's for several apts and includes TV, etc? Personal (ex Fibertel) is charging 3590/month for a 12 month plan without your mobile with them (less if you have mobile with them). This is more or less what Claro, Movistar and iPlan all charge for a new 300Mbps 12 month plan.

Thanks all for your responses. As always, some spirited debate. Just a note on prices. I'm told by my mother-in-law that you need to be on top of these companies as they will overcharge you unless you call them regularly and ask for discounts and upgrades (and threaten to leave if required). Pirates, as she refers to them! They all have deals to lure new customers, but don't extend them to existing customers. In fact, you should probably change providers every 12 months (at the end of most contracts) to take advantage of the current deals. In our case, we've been with Telecentro for a few years and they are charging us just over 4000/month for a 150Mbps plan. New customers pay 2299/month for the same plan.

@earlyretirement you may want to get your property manager to call your ISP to renegotiate. 23,000 pesos/month seems like highway robbery, unless that's for several apts and includes TV, etc? Personal (ex Fibertel) is charging 3590/month for a 12 month plan without your mobile with them (less if you have mobile with them). This is more or less what Claro, Movistar and iPlan all charge for a new 300Mbps 12 month plan.

Yes, I'll call and ask. To be honest, I haven't dealt at all with the bills on this property for many years. I do agree with you that you have to call in every year or so and get a promotional rate. It was for internet and Cable TV including some premium channels like CNN English, HBO, Showtime, etc.

I will ask my property manager to call in and see if there is a better rate.

I managed to get a call to Fibertel, they say they know about it and that it’s an issue for everybody in the area. It worked briefly at 6:30am this morning for 5 minutes and then hasn’t worked ever since. Over 3 days without proper Wifi now

Back