Best South American capitals/cities to live/work

stefano said:
Tijuana, Mexico. Just kidding.

Rosario all the way, is not affected by the argentine politic in any case, and the people is just great, lot of grean areas, very safe, lot of young people and familys. Just perfect for what you are looking for.
Btw why you recomend Rio, Sao Pablo or Lima? they are not good places to live with the family, is far better and more safe Buenos Aires than that places.

lamarque said:
Rosario all the way, is not affected by the argentine politic in any case, and the people is just great, lot of grean areas, very safe, lot of young people and familys. Just perfect for what you are looking for.
Btw why you recomend Rio, Sao Pablo or Lima? they are not good places to live with the family, is far better and more safe Buenos Aires than that places.

How is Rosario not affected by Argentine politics?

Sorry i correct my self it seems that there is not affecting that much lol

Well i found santiago quite boring and lack of cultural actvitys to do, but the worst about santiago is that you have to see the forecast in order to go to the street to walk throught the city because of the heavy air contamination is very bad to your health to breath when there is no wind because all the contamination stay in the air as the city is in a hole surrounded by highers lands (similar to City of Mexico), in the good side is quite safe, i didn't found it so cheap do.

To the OP, it may depend on how important the importance of work opportunities are, ie what line of work you are in etc as well. For eg, the smaller cities I have found generally have a more relaxed feel (I guess as in all the world), the people are more friendly, may be cleaner, less traffic etc. Lamarque used the example of Rosario and I would agree, I have spent a fair bit of time there and it has all these qualities over BA. But, then again, there are less job opportunities than Capital (albeit more than most other cities in the interior given the strong presence of the Soja industry in the provincia of Sta Fe).

I guess these are the kind of things you would need to weigh up...

if there are any former Baexpats who are now in Columbia, can you comment on the visa situation. How does it compare to things here, specifically those of us who are supposed to leave every 90 days and generally just pay the fine when leaving at EZE.

Thanks.

palermogirl said:
if there are any former Baexpats who are now in Columbia, can you comment on the visa situation. How does it compare to things here, specifically those of us who are supposed to leave every 90 days and generally just pay the fine when leaving at EZE.Thanks.

They are stricter their, and fine you if you overstay US$150 (pay to check this as i am just going by what people told me when i was there).

You can also extend for 3 or 6 months, and it was US$35 i think. When you enter they will give you 30, 60 or 90 day visa, the immigration office just decides. I had 60 days when i entered through bogota airport, and 90 days when i came across from ecuador via road. Expats who live and work there, or own businesses have told me its easy to get visa's. Alot less hassle then here.

Great minds don´t always think alike. I was dismayed with the danger and uncultured feel of Fortaleza or Recife, Brazil. I thought Rio (despite some very good points) was one of the worst cities I´ve been to. Even the good areas are dangerous and most of the architecture is in poor taste, IMHO.
Natal and Joao Pessoa in Brazil were pleasant cities with beaches. Joao Pessoa was historical not too expensive,

I was so in love with Buenos Aires when I got off the bus from Rio and walked from Retiro to Avenida de Mayo. I felt so safe and was amazed at how many beautiful old buildings remain and at the overall sophitstication.
I know people from the best part of Lima and they feel it´s too dangerous to be a good place to live.
Quito, Ecuador was safe enough for a visit, but not to live in, IMHO. I was robbed in broad daylight in the Centro, and no one did a thing. Locals said no wear is safe to walk in Quito at 11 pm. A young man I met there had a knife held to his throat in one of the safer areas, about midnight. Quito has a colonial district, but not the extensive areas of gracious older buildings that Buenos Aires has, no does it have the sophistication.
I liked Cordoba and that much of the Centro streets are pedestrian only. I was saddened to see the old houses being demolished one by one.
I felt Montevideo was like Buenos Aires but not quite as impressive or safe. That´s just my impression from a short stay, though.
In South America, I like Buenos Aires best of the cities I´ve seen.

Back