best way to get USdollars? help pretty please

cscott123 said:
just got to BA last week so pardon my ignorance...

i know this has probably been discussed ad nauseum, but... my landlady wants me to pay rent in USD. i DONT have an argentine account, so i just needed to know whats the quickest, cheapest, safest? way to get some good ole US dollars in BA? first of the month is fast approaching...

thank you thank you thank you! love the blog btw...

PhilipDT said:
I thought landlords couldnt demand dollars? Or is that just an urban legend.

By LAW, all payment for temporary apartments must be made in dollars. Its amazing how many people don't know this.

But I guess that just shows how few people actually care for this law. But yes, payment should be made in dollars.

pez said:
If you are in the Palermo area go to Banco Superville (Charcas 3602, esq. Salguero. from 10am - 3pm) with a credit cards (visa and mastercard only) and passport. You can do a cash advance for up to US$5000 per month.

Thank you, Pez, for this valuable tip! I went to Banco Supervielle at Charcas/Salguaro today and withdrew $1000 in US dollars on my VISA debit card (US bank). Total charge to my US account? $1010.78. I actually called my bank in the US first to ask whether it was possible and what the fees would be, and they said it wouldn't work (shows what they know). But yes, apparently you can get a "cash advance" on a VISA debit card, except that it comes straight out of your account -- no interest, no cash advance fee, just the $10.78 transaction fee (in my case). I don't know if this will work in other banks or countries, but I was very pleased to have it work today. :)

cscott123 said:
i know this has probably been discussed ad nauseum, but... my landlady wants me to pay rent in USD.
Your landlady wants ... what does your contract say? which is what matters.

Blacklizard said:
Thank you, Pez, for this valuable tip! I went to Banco Supervielle at Charcas/Salguaro today and withdrew $1000 in US dollars on my VISA debit card (US bank). Total charge to my US account? $1010.78. I actually called my bank in the US first to ask whether it was possible and what the fees would be, and they said it wouldn't work (shows what they know). But yes, apparently you can get a "cash advance" on a VISA debit card, except that it comes straight out of your account -- no interest, no cash advance fee, just the $10.78 transaction fee (in my case). I don't know if this will work in other banks or countries, but I was very pleased to have it work today. :)

I spoke with my bank, and they'll let me take out $15,000/day (of course, I would actually have to have that amount in my account :)) with a cash advance in a bank without a fee. Was the $10.78 you were charged the fee from Supervielle?

Just to add to what the Bookseller said about Banco Piano... Had rent and bond due in USD in a matter of hours and then received nasty shock of realising the USD option on the ATM was a cruel hoax.

Ended up at Banco Piano at San Martin 345 and was able to withdraw my rent and bond in USD from an Australian visa account. Although they have a $200 limit they are happy to do multiple transactions at the same time. Takes a little while, but a hell of a lot less time than some places I tried which sent me from queue to queue before saying no. Such fun!

Exchange rate was good and even with fees on top think cheaper and easier option than double conversion with peso withdrawal and cambio.

But, having said all that, going to try and chat up some tour guides before next month. Great idea.

pez said:
If you are in the Palermo area go to Banco Superville (Charcas 3602, esq. Salguero. from 10am - 3pm) with a credit cards (visa and mastercard only) and passport. You can do a cash advance for up to US$5000 per month.
i got that confirmed last week, altho they did not mention an limit, its based on the limit of the CC you have, but when you call your CC at home, you can get an higher amount. no cost at bank here, but you might get very high charged by YOUR bank! worth to check it out.;)

BAwithkids said:
I spoke with my bank, and they'll let me take out $15,000/day (of course, I would actually have to have that amount in my account :)) with a cash advance in a bank without a fee. Was the $10.78 you were charged the fee from Supervielle?

To update, the final charge to my US account was $1021.49 (my bank adjusted the charge upwards a few days after my post). Supervielle draws the money from your US account in Argentinian pesos, and then converts it to dollars, so I suspect that the first charge of $10.78 is their charge for that conversion. I think the second charge of $10.71 added after is a foreign transaction charge levied by my bank since the draw was in a foreign currency. Still, the overall fee of $21.49 is not too bad, considering the alternatives for obtaining US dollars.

Banco Supervielle is open from 10-3. There is always a lengthy queue -- we went this week at 10 AM before they opened, and there was already a queue of people waiting for the bank to open! Next time I'm going at 9:45 AM.

Have you asked if she'll accept paypal? Or, I would open an Ally Bank account or Charles Shwab for next month. They both refund atm fees so there's no charge for getting your money out.

Back