Best Way to Receive Package from Abroad

Vagrant Violet

Registered
Hello.

I am planning on asking a family member to mail a "care package" to me from the United States (under 20 pounds). It´s probably going to contain a few books, a pair of shoes that can not be found in Argentina, maybe a few shirts, a board game, photos, possibly some candy, etc. No electronics.

I have had situations in the past where I tried to both send and receive articles of clothing (T-shirt/scarf), and the items never arrived on either end (it´s like they vanished completely). I don´t know why.

I read over some of the advice posted on this website about receiving international packages, and found somewhat conflicting information. My questions are the following:

1). Is it legal (or advisable) to send new articles of clothing/shoes? What about used?

2). What is the best service to use for international shipping (in regards to the fastest, most secure way)? Price doesn´t matter.

3). Is there any way in Hell that I won´t actually have to go to Retiro or Ezeiza to pick it up?

4). Any other miscellaneous advice worth knowing?

Much appreciated, thank you!

Apparently it was illegal (don't know if this is still the case) to send used clothes to Argentina.

Anything over 600grams usually gets left at Retiro.

USPS International Express. [post office] and it will arrive at your home. Understate the value. Works very well.
fedEx and DHL are a no go and you will spend your entire day at EZE and pay 3 times the value , PLUS.

ghost said:
USPS International Express. [post office] and it will arrive at your home.

Unless it is over 600grams, as I said above. All packages I have received that are over 600grams go to Retiro, unless you are lucky. If she is planning to get something that is arould 20lbs, unlikely they will bring it to her house.

mini said:
Unless it is over 600grams, as I said above. All packages I have received that are over 600grams go to Retiro, unless you are lucky. If she is planning to get something that is arould 20lbs, unlikely they will bring it to her house.
Right.!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I received dozens of packages from the US. Here is my advice.
A) Send the books separately, they do not pay import duties!!!
B) Send everything else using regular US post office air mail, it is the cheapest!!
C) Get an small insurance (20 U$S value) on each package, this gives you a tracking number and this way it will not get lost!!!

Wow, 600 grams is only just over a pound. So basically anything except letters and a box of feather boas will get sent to Retiro?

What's the Retiro procedure? (and address?). Do you get like a little "sticky" on your door like in the U.S. (i highly doubt this)?

A&A said:
Wow, 600 grams is only just over a pound. So basically anything except letters and a box of feather boas will get sent to Retiro?

What's the Retiro procedure? (and address?). Do you get like a little "sticky" on your door like in the U.S. (i highly doubt this)?
No,the limit is around 20 lbs. Although I have recieved pkgs of more than 20lbs. And yes they will leave a door hanger and try again the following day. [sometimes]

I really appreciate all the useful information thus far...

Though I understand now that it´s best not to send used clothes, are there special steps to follow in order to send new clothes, or is it as simple as the the sender just putting them in the box and declaring them on the package as new?

Thank you guys so much once again!

I recently received a birthday care package from the States. It was sent via USPS. We watched the tracking online, it took about 10 days. They claim to have rung my buzzer on a certain day, but they lied.. we were home all day and never heard it.

So we had to go down to the main Correo Argentino warehouse in Retiro to pick it up. It's like entering a time warp.. the whole place feels like it's 1955. And of course, the bureaucracy is Kafkaesque, Byzantine. You go to "international packages", take a number, and wait an hour to tell them you don't have a delivery slip. More waiting.. they print one up and give you another number. Then you go in the adjoining room to wait for that number to be called.

Finally you go to the inspection line where all the employees are wearing white lab coats (?!) They're supposed to ask you to open the package in front of them, whereupon they inspect the contents to determine what duties you owe, if any. But as soon as I opened my mouth and they saw I was a foreigner, they kindly just told me to take the unopened package and leave. Great!

What I don't understand is, why have I been able to receive packages in other countries (Guatemala, Colombia, Peru) delivered to my door with no inspections, no duties owed, but here in the supposedly much more developed country of Argentina, one has to go through this rigamarole?

Back