Best Way to Receive Package from Abroad

2 Questions for HenryNisental : If they mail something snail mail/regular US mail with a $20 insurance on it with tracking number....They won't steal it? ...and do you still need to go to Retiro correo electronico to pick it up?

Eekkkkk...now I am scared! My wallet was stolen yesterday and along with it my debit/credit card. I ordered a replacement card and will have it sent to my home here. It is going to my friend's house in the US first then he will send it along to me.

It will certainly come in an envelope, what are your recommendations for the shipping service? Of course I will choose tracking, but do you think this necessitates paying through the nose for Fed Ex vs, USPS priority or express?

Thank you!

My bank replaced both my credit and debit cards with the new chip system ones, so I had no choice but to get my mum to send them down to me -- she sent them separately and I got her to put them in between a few pieces of card board so you couldn't actually feel the shape of the card in there. She sent them in a bubble envelope via expresspost and they got here fine.

The harder / more annoying part is activating the credit card because they usually want you to activate it from your billing address phone number -- however I talked to an agent and she gave me a longer form interview than they usually do to verify your identity and then she was able to activate no problem.

syngirl said:
My bank replaced both my credit and debit cards with the new chip system ones, so I had no choice but to get my mum to send them down to me -- she sent them separately and I got her to put them in between a few pieces of card board so you couldn't actually feel the shape of the card in there. She sent them in a bubble envelope via expresspost and they got here fine.

The harder / more annoying part is activating the credit card because they usually want you to activate it from your billing address phone number -- however I talked to an agent and she gave me a longer form interview than they usually do to verify your identity and then she was able to activate no problem.

Thank you for the reply, it is reassuring! Though from reading this thread I am not going to have any expectations! :)
I'll have my friend package them well and send them express mail.

"It will certainly come in an envelope, what are your recommendations for the shipping service? Of course I will choose tracking, but do you think this necessitates paying through the nose for Fed Ex vs, USPS priority or express?"

While untracked mail could be a problem, I lost one over 130 coming from abroad ,certified mail, 'certificado' is very safe and fast ,never heard of one of those 'lost'

Question- I have a package that was sent from the U.S. (3 pounds) and according to USPS tracking, arrived on Jan 29th. It's now Feb 3rd and I've received no delivery slip at my apt. Was just wondering if anyone knows how long (and if it's normal for) the package to sit in Retiro (assuming it is there?). I'm not sure if I should try to retrieve it from Retiro or just wait a few more days to see if they deliver it to my place. Any suggestions?

My boyfriend's mom sent us a package for Christmas that finally got to us last week. She used DHL and was able to figure out that the box had made it to Argentina using the tracking number. They claim they came by twice to drop it off, but they didn't leave any indication that they had been here. We called DHL and they dropped the package off at our apartment the next day--luckily my boyfriend was able to stay home for the day because they said they'd be there sometime between 9 and 6. Couldn't be more specific than that. We had to pay $97 in taxes (no electronics, nothing of value--just some books and a few trinkets that couldn't have cost more than $5). We didn't even have to go to Retiro, and it still seems to me like it's more trouble than it's worth. Good luck!

I was pleasantly surprised yesterday that the UPS package my friend sent me containing my replacement visa debit card and favorite ballet slippers arrived, It only took 3 days, though I paid through the culo for it. But it arrived, no hiccups.

Hi foreros!

What is the best way to have several books sent from the U.S.? I know there is no duty but is there also a discounted "book rate" like within the U.S.?

Thanks.

HenryNisental said:
I received dozens of packages from the US. Here is my advice.
A) Send the books separately, they do not pay import duties!!!
B) Send everything else using regular US post office air mail, it is the cheapest!!
C) Get an small insurance (20 U$S value) on each package, this gives you a tracking number and this way it will not get lost!!!

My parents send me quite a few packages and never tell me that they're coming and we've never had any issues with the US mail service. Tracking order is a great idea though!! Clothes, shoes, spices, even books. They always get the insurance.

My poor grandmother sent me a birthday card via US mail with cash inside of it... Needless to say it never showed up and to this day I still hear about it.

Back