Blacks In Argentina

What an interesting article. As a mixed race person (Black/English) I was honestly surprised when I first visited BsAs last year at the lack of, well, nearly any diversity, but especially those of African descent (at least that could be identified by glancing at someone). I had no idea I would eventually be living in a less-diverse community than the one I'd come from; and coming from Colorado that's pretty tough to do. 99% of the time people ask me if I'm Columbian or Brazilian, and I guess I look the part, but I didn't realize that Afro blood was something Argie's shy away from. This article was super eye opening and I look forward to researching this a bit more.

Thanks for posting the link!

almost everyone believed all africans were brougth to america forced.
Now; the egiptians and many other civilizations had slaves.
Romans had africans slves bougth as slaves.
Africans were also peolple that had slaves an they also sold themm as labor hand.
After the famous and very good " Roots" of 1977, ( KUNTA - KINTE .- all colored were brougth to america forced?
""Tens of millions of black Africans were forcibly removed from their homelands from the 16th century to the 19th century to toil on the plantations and farms of the New World.""
I Think maybe the people that wrote this should read a bit more about , roman history, greek history and after re-write their notes.( not for you camberiu!)
I presume no many people knows about this fact
regards

almost everyone believed all africans were brougth to america forced.
Now; the egiptians and many other civilizations had slaves.
Romans had africans slves bougth as slaves.
Africans were also peolple that had slaves an they also sold themm as labor hand.
After the famous and very good " Roots" of 1977, ( KUNTA - KINTE .- all colored were brougth to america forced?
""Tens of millions of black Africans were forcibly removed from their homelands from the 16th century to the 19th century to toil on the plantations and farms of the New World.""
I Think maybe the people that wrote this should read a bit more about , roman history, greek history and after re-write their notes.( not for you camberiu!)
I presume no many people knows about this fact
regards

So you're suggesting they volunteered to be slaves in the New World?

So you're suggesting they volunteered to be slaves in the New World?

And were they honestly told what their "new life" would entail Fredd? I am not sure they would voluntarily sign up for that, but happy to be corrected if presented some evidence.

I´ve read that about 120 years ago, there was an area of huts where blacks lived, along Avenida Callao, in Capital Federal.

I have a cadre of Argentine friends here who are very conservative. Their racism makes the redneck branch of my Alabama family look like NAACP flag-waving supporters. I've been around racism all of my life having grown up in the American South and I've never seen anything like the bigotry in Argentina.

On the other hand, Argentina is the most progressive country that I've lived in when it comes to officially recognizing LGBT.

I have a cadre of Argentine friends here who are very conservative. Their racism makes the redneck branch of my Alabama family look like NAACP flag-waving supporters. I've been around racism all of my life having grown up in the American South and I've never seen anything like the bigotry in Argentina.

On the other hand, Argentina is the most progressive country that I've lived in when it comes to officially recognizing LGBT.

As a fellow Southerner , I could not agree more GS. Boy , I thought we had seen some racism. But , they take the cake in Argentina. One of my wife's favorite stories is when we went down to Migraccions for my DNI , she could not believe all the ( fill in blank ) getting dni's. But was most fascinated by the black women from the Dominican Republic coming to work in the sex trade. She tells that story all the time !!

As bad as racism is today in Argentina, it used to MUCH worse just 30 or 40 years ago. Now, you folks that are not originally from South America, try to imagine how such attitudes would have shaped the dynamics of the relationship between Argentina and its neighbors over the last two centuries. Take Brazil for example. It is a country where the vast majority of the population is either black or has some black ancestry. Where the culture brought by the slaves is deeply imprinted on the national identity, on the language, music, food, superstitions and the sense of aesthetics. How do you think Brazilians reacted to a neighboring country that was so racists that "makes the redneck branch of my Alabama family look like NAACP flag-waving supporters"? How do you think Paraguayans felt? Or Chileans? Or Bolivians? Imagine this going on constantly for generations. Ponder about it a little and maybe you will begin to comprehend why most people in South America have the attitude that they have towards Argentina.

Still, here in Argentina there is more ignorance than racism towards people with African descent. In fact, I think there is more racism towards people from Bolivia, Paraguay, or Peru ('Negro' does not actually refer to people with African descent, I hope everyone understands that), than there is towards people with African descent. I think comparing racism here to racism in the United States is really unwarranted. In the town in Texas where I went to school, there was a black guy that moved into town. They made him leave (small Texas town) by threatening him within an inch of his life. That was in the early 90s. Then a team we played basketball against had a coffee shop called the Koffee Kup Kafe. Really, compared to what it could be, this is a pretty accepting country, except for a few morons, especially among the younger crowd. Mostly, if there is a person with very dark skin of African descent, people just look at them with utter curiosity because there are so few black people. I know that lots of younger women are very attracted to the way African and African American men look--because it's so utterly different than anything they know. I would say that Argentines are really more clueless about anything associated with the African continent than anything else (even historically). That has been my impression anyways.

Back