Blonde small girl in Buenos Aires. How dangerous will it be for me??

I completely disagree, taxis are much safer (on a purely statistical basis) than walking out at night to catch a bus or even standing out at the bus stop and even inside the bus (lots of muggings inside buses and ATM kidnapping). That doesn't mean that there wasn't a rapist taxi driver at some point in the history of Buenos Aires. What is more likely is that you will get a fake bill back if you pay with 100 pesos. Now, of course, if you want to be even safer, call a cab...

IFMGA said:
Please do not recommend girls and women to take taxis or remis by themselves, if you read other posts and the local news papers you would know that is VERY unsafe. The bus would be much safer since there is other people around.

IFMGA said:
Please do not recommend girls and women to take taxis or remis by themselves, if you read other posts and the local news papers you would know that is VERY unsafe. The bus would be much safer since there is other people around.

IFMGA PLEASE DO NOT SCAREMONGER. reputable radio taxi/remis firms are the safest way for young and old females alike to travel around this city late at night. my grandfather is 82 and is the most fastidious and over cautious individual i have ever met, especially when it comes to safety/well being in this chaotic city. bearing in mind he's been round the block a few times and has plenty of life experience (76 years in this city to be precise, having fled prague during WW2) i generally take what he has to say seriously. he swears by several very good companies, PRIVADO http://www.radiotaxi-privado.com.ar/, PREMIUM http://www.taxipremium.com/ and PIDALO http://www.radiotaxipidalo.com.ar/. i have travelled with all three and they are exemplary.
you can flag these company's cabs down on the street and you should have no problems. alternatively, and ideally, you can call them and they can collect you from any given destination.

NOW, the distinction to be made here is the bog standard taxi cars that are not affiliated to any firm and work for themselves. i NEVER take them, although there are many people who do. they will not have any company branding on them, but will appear much the same in terms of presentation, a yellow and black cab. it's always better to err on the side of caution.

so, a case in point, last night i was in belgrano at my grandfather's and rather than stay over, i decided to come back to monserrat where i live. the radio taxi driver drove me to my doorstep and i asked if he would wait whilst i let myself into the front door. surely this is infinitely preferable to taking a colectivo? however crowded it might be on the bus itself, there is an inevitable walk from bus stop to front door, an opportune moment when anyone on the bus or likewise on the street could take their chances and follow a defenceless girl in the early hours of the morning.

i'm curious, IFMGA - what sex are you? my money is on you being male.

please be wary about what you read in the press here, 'la inseguridad' has become a buzzword.

IFMGA said:

Yet another scare monger, Ignore this one,

If you are really worried, register with a Remis company and run an account with them. They will pick you up and drop you off whenever you want. These companies are registered and log every jorney and driver, they are well trusted because of the way they work, often used for small deliveries and even to collect children from school.

Or you could just sit in scared out of your wits listening to people on this forum telling you how they have heard about somebody (never personal experience) who was mugged, raped, knifed, sold into slavery, or even overcharged , oooh. :eek:

flyfreely said:
I completely disagree, taxis are much safer (on a purely statistical basis) than walking out at night to catch a bus or even standing out at the bus stop and even inside the bus (lots of muggings inside buses and ATM kidnapping). That doesn't mean that there wasn't a rapist taxi driver at some point in the history of Buenos Aires. What is more likely is that you will get a fake bill back if you pay with 100 pesos. Now, of course, if you want to be even safer, call a cab...

I agree. 100%.

tangobob said:

If you are really worried, register with a Remis company and run an account with them. They will pick you up and drop you off whenever you want. These companies are registered and log every jorney and driver, they are well trusted because of the way they work, often used for small deliveries and even to collect children from school.

This is an excellent idea. Do they invoice you? Or do you still have to pay per ride? It would be great if they could send you the monthly bill then you don't even have to worry if you only have 100 note.

tangobob said:
Or you could just sit in scared out of your wits listening to people on this forum telling you how they have heard about somebody (never personal experience) who was mugged, raped, knifed, sold into slavery, or even overcharged , oooh. :eek:
This is first hand information.....
I was raped repeatedly by a young morocha 2 weeks ago in the back of a radio taxi .....;)

mini said:
I agree. 100%.

This is an excellent idea. Do they invoice you? Or do you still have to pay per ride? It would be great if they could send you the monthly bill then you don't even have to worry if you only have 100 note.

I believe they do, although I have not personally done this, you would have to ask yourself. On my first visit to BsAs I did every journey by Remis and the bill, I think, was all settled at the end (not by me but by the lady who organised my visit) of course then you have no idea if they are overcharging you but hey life is one big adventure.

IFMGA said:
This is first hand information.....
I was raped repeatedly by a young morocha 2 weeks ago in the back of a radio taxi .....;)

morocho would be a male, which i am assuming is what you meant.

i am shocked and horrified by what you have told me. i am truly sorry this happened to you. have you reported this to the police? did you flag the car down on the side of the road or call from home? was it a firm you regularly used? were you inebriated at the time?

why the ;) at the of your comment though? there is no lighthearted/funny element to your story at all. it makes me really sad to know you experienced this.

diosaarenosa said:

i am shocked and horrified by what you have told me. i am truly sorry this happened to you. have you reported this to the police? did you flag the car down on the side of the road or call from home? was it a firm you regularly used? were you inebriated at the time?

why the ;) at the of your comment though? there is no lighthearted/funny element to your story at all. it makes me really sad to know you experienced this.
It was a Morocha (female) and it was quite a surprise, but a good one (I am Male)and we had dinner together before from where the taxi picked us up.:)

diosaarenosa said:

I think it was a very poor and inappropriate attempt at humour.

e2a: Yes, confirmed by the subsequent post.

Um..I assume IFMGA is being tounge-in-cheek and suggesting a young woman took advantage of him in a taxi- hence the ;)

To the OP - seriously, you'll be fine. Take the same precautions you would anywhere. Yes, you will get cat calls and propositions on the street. So does every other woman btwn the ages of 12 and 50. It's not personal. In my experience, the only place I've ever had problems were in the clubs where men can get grabby. But on the street, it tends to be lots of leers and propositions but nothing else.

FWIW - I did wind up changing my hair color from my natural blonde to dark just to blend in. Not that I ever felt unsafe b/c I'm blonde, I just got tired of being called rubia, rubia, rubia all day long.

Back